Owning a trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

We've got a 16" bumper that was really cheap or we wouldn't have bought it. I like it for our 4H animals, hauling a couple horses, or moving small loads around. Have a 20X7 when we move the cows from place to place or haul a bigger load of calves. I hate relying on somebody else and their schedule.

Brute 23":3ogvx7pi said:
callmefence":3ogvx7pi said:
We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.
With the exception of small utility trailers I won't even look at a bumper pull

The 24 gets small quick when hauling cows, especially if it's not a wide trailer.

This will be my next trailer... 28', 7'6", 7' tall. I want the extra height for my mule.

http://www.gooseneck.net/gooseneck-trai ... ilers.html
Like to have one of those too,, but a 24 footer...

Dad has a 14 ft that was his father in laws. If we didn't have it I guess we would buy one but would probably pay the sale barn to haul for us at least a few times first. I also have a 12 ft like a 2 horse but shop built. I picked it up for 400. I figured I couldn't go wrong for that kind of money. We only haul one or two times a year. Usually only three or four at a time. Most i ever had on the trailer was six and it was standing room only. I can see where it might be better for us to pay someone but it's nice to be able to load whenever and not try to line something up.

Craig Miller":8knjp7t0 said:
Dad has a 14 ft that was his father in laws. If we didn't have it I guess we would buy one but would probably pay the sale barn to haul for us at least a few times first. I also have a 12 ft like a 2 horse but shop built. I picked it up for 400. I figured I couldn't go wrong for that kind of money. We only haul one or two times a year. Usually only three or four at a time. Most i ever had on the trailer was six and it was standing room only. I can see where it might be better for us to pay someone but it's nice to be able to load whenever and not try to line something up.
We've got a 14 foot bumper pull that we've had for almost 20 years. At the old farm that was a big a trailer as you could get in and move around between buildings and fences. When I need a bigger one I use the neighbors.

Brute 23":17se7he8 said:
callmefence":17se7he8 said:
We move cattle from one place to another several times a year. I just upgraded to a 24' because it was taking to many trips. Already thinking i Should have went 32. I've got a 16 instead of selling it I think I'm going keep it we can haul with 2 trucks.

The 24 gets small quick when hauling cows, especially if it's not a wide trailer.

This will be my next trailer... 28', 7'6", 7' tall. I want the extra height for my mule.

Thanks alot brute. :lol2:
Your probably right. There's a big price difference for that extra axle. A couple of my place's require some jackknife and spin on a dime to get to the pens.
Which of course can be a bad deal on three axle's. Hence my decision to buy the 24 and keep the 16 instead of trading the 16 for a 32.
Well see how it goes. If it was a bad decision it certainly won't be the first... :D

callmefence":2k7ad1ht said:
Brute 23":2k7ad1ht said:
callmefence":2k7ad1ht said:

Your probably right. There's a big price difference for that extra axle. A couple of my place's require some jackknife and spin on a dime to get to the pens.
Which of course can be a bad deal on three axle's. Hence my decision to buy the 24 and keep the 16 instead of trading the 16 for a 32.
Well see how it goes. If it was a bad decision it certainly won't be the first... :D

Sorry, didn't mean to pile it on. These trailers hold their value. If you decide to swap it around it won't be very costly. Far from what I consider a bad decision.

They make tandem 28s, doubt it on a 32. I would not get a triple axle either.

callmefence":1n0tu1pc said:
Brute 23":1n0tu1pc said:
callmefence":1n0tu1pc said:

Does anybody make one with an axle that lifts?

the need of a cattle trailer depends on how much you will use it.the last few years we hired a cattle hauler because we only had 3 or 4 loads.our bumper pull has diesel tanks in it.so its not used.have a 24ft gooseneck that we use and another bumper pull if needed.right now the 1ton is staying hooked to the 32ft gooseneck flatbed.

i have a 24 ft but I use it for everything I need to haul. load of sod....mulch...the mule goes inside or 2 quads...I use it for everything..we might even put a bedroll in it and camp with the mule but idk yet...

I have a 20' bumper pull... did without for years, but it definitely is handy.. has slide-in stock racks, I can haul about 18 calves which is perfect for me.. about 6-8 cows depending on size. I wouldn't want to move my whole herd around with it, but after we got a $700 bill for shipping one load of calves to the sale barn, I was looking pretty hard for a trailer.. It's paid for itself in a hurry with those prices!

Aluminum is the way to go if you stay on the highway, Lots of them tend to fall apart going across pastures or the ones that spend their life with heavy loads on gravel roads. My 20' aluminum circle W is beat all up and has had the welds repaired a few times but it a real joy to pull when you only have 1 or 2 animals.

Not endorsing any brand but I have a 2001 Wilson aluminum that has had thousands of head in it and never a weld broken. Most of that is because it has rivets instead of welding.

Brute 23":msybrbpy said:
callmefence":msybrbpy said:

Very similar to the one we bought after our Titan was destroyed in the tornado but ours is a GR. Heavy duty!! http://www.grtrailers.com/index.php/tra ... 6824w14lnr

I looked for 6+ months for a used gooseneck stock trailer before I found the deal I wanted. It's a old well used Circle W that needed a floor, brakes and a couple of welds, otherwise it was in great shape. I could of spent 3 times as much as I have in the used trailer for a new one, and ended up with less trailer very easily.

Latest posts