Outlaws and Tracking Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2qx85y7j said:
Brute 23":2qx85y7j said:
[
Water helps the track... the scent holds with moisture. Its harder to track across dusty, dry terrain. When you train young dogs you wet what ever you want them to track to help them out.

I've never tracked a person but have been amazed with hunting dogs on more than one occasion. I've seen them follow a trail where I walked to the T from a distance. They were back tracking trying to find us.

Brute you are correct with the moisture aspect of helping them but the type of dog you are running matters as well. The dogs that smell the ground moisture helps but if its a dog that winds like my deer dogs moisture isn't really necessary. I run my dogs from snow to 100 degree high humidity that will make a dog. If you only run in a controlled environment by providing moisture you are doing the dog a disservice as he will not learn to over come whatever he is given to work with weather wise. Dogs trailing back to find you or another person or even where they came from is a common thing. If you make the dog work in any environment you give him he will overcome a lot and you will not have very many checks.

Its just a training tool you do once or twice to build confidence with a pup. I'm not saying that is the only way to hunt. :???:

We hunt both dogs that trail and dogs that wind. They both have their pros and cons.

Latest posts