Outlaws and Tracking Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
We were awakened by the roar of a Helicopter with bright search lights about 4:am last Tuesday, we did not have a clue what was going on. Went outside to see and there were heavy armed Military type men with dogs exiting the big bird and running down my fence line. Later about 7:am I went to the corner store to buy Diesel and there were several Deputy Sheriffs there. I ask what was going on and they told me that there was a vehicle stop on US331 and the occupants/suspects jumped out and ran for the bushes. They started the chase and later found drugs in the car. I went home and checked my fences and gates for damage and found a pair of old worn out tennis shoes and a shirt which the Deputy's came and claimed as evidence. I began to wonder how fearful the Slaves must have felt back in the day being hunted and running from armed men with dogs. Just my thoughts.

That happens multiple times a month here... some places multiple times a week.

The illegals will bail out on a side road off 59 and there they go. Running in yards and through pastures. Po-Po will come mostly horse back, might have a bird, to round them up.

You cut through my yard you better have a weed-eater or some loppers. :)

We went through the search part of this with a missing family member a couple months ago. I learned more in two days than I ever wanted to learn about search and rescue. I learned that asphalt is the hardest mediam for a dog to track on, even harder than a creek according to the dog handlers. I also learned that infrared is usuless in the summer in the woods. The trees hold in too much heat making it impossible to tell any difference between woods and a person. The THP pilot said that he could pick up rabbits in the woods after the leaves had fallen, but could not pick up a cow while the leaves were still on the trees. The main reason they brought it out is see if maby she was in a pasture or had built a fire. I had thought before this if you had dogs and a helicopter you could find anyone, but this was not the case with her. Someone stumbled across her and she ended up being fine by the grace of God.

Brute 23":1chu8rdm said:
That happens multiple times a month here... some places multiple times a week.

The illegals will bail out on a side road off 59 and there they go. Running in yards and through pastures. Po-Po will come mostly horse back, might have a bird, to round them up.

Same here--and the sheriff's dept always uses the Valero at the top of the hill for a command post while the search is underway.

kerley":2lu2ng2g said:
We were awakened by the roar of a Helicopter with bright search lights about 4:am last Tuesday, we did not have a clue what was going on. Went outside to see and there were heavy armed Military type men with dogs exiting the big bird and running down my fence line. Later about 7:am I went to the corner store to buy Diesel and there were several Deputy Sheriffs there. I ask what was going on and they told me that there was a vehicle stop on US331 and the occupants/suspects jumped out and ran for the bushes. They started the chase and later found drugs in the car. I went home and checked my fences and gates for damage and found a pair of old worn out tennis shoes and a shirt which the Deputy's came and claimed as evidence. I began to wonder how fearful the Slaves must have felt back in the day being hunted and running from armed men with dogs. Just my thoughts.
Bad thing is that they were going to get much more than jsut arrested.

I was bait during the training of a blood hound once. The dog's nose is incredible. Once I thought I had beaten the dog on a real windy day. I had climbed a tree and was hiding in it when the dog came into the field about 200 yards downwind of me. For a minute I thought she was going to keep going but she didn't. She stopped in the field and turned and looked at the lone tree in the field and came right to me. Don't know about other tracking dogs but the bloodhound is pretty hard to beat. Was told they could sniff one part in a million.

These were blood hounds that they used. The handler said on asphalt that there was usually too many man made scents for them to be able to pick out a single person.

I imagine lots of scent could mess a bloodhound up but I was never able to beat the dog no matter what I did. Water didn't make much difference either. I learned a lot I didn't know about bloodhounds. Did you know in several states a bloodhound can be used as a witness in court?

Jogeephus":1nnupbe5 said:
I imagine lots of scent could mess a bloodhound up but I was never able to beat the dog no matter what I did. Water didn't make much difference either. I learned a lot I didn't know about bloodhounds. Did you know in several states a bloodhound can be used as a witness in court?

Water helps the track... the scent holds with moisture. Its harder to track across dusty, dry terrain. When you train young dogs you wet what ever you want them to track to help them out.

I've never tracked a person but have been amazed with hunting dogs on more than one occasion. I've seen them follow a trail where I walked to the T from a distance. They were back tracking trying to find us.

highgrit":1oobjll3 said:
Does a blood hound have to raise it's right paw and be placed under oath?

They had a deal on the news that in Texas they passed a law where a dog is not a credible witness and can not send some one to prison.

Apparently some sheriff was putting suspects scents in a can and if the dog that was at the crime scene picked your can you went to jail. :shock:

Jogeephus":211gw4qe said:

Training exercise? Yeah, I believe that.

john250":2ba4e74p said:
Jogeephus":2ba4e74p said:

Training exercise? Yeah, I believe that.
You think maybe the dog didn't smell him at all but really just saw those striped pajamas he was wearing?? :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

I have a stray that showed up at the farm. Heeler and maybe jack Russel mix. Female already been spayed over a year old. She thinks the world of me and the wife. She has learned a lot and also have I. She rides in the front seat of the truck. She has an incredible since of smell. We have a compost heap in the back of the yard couple hundred feet from the house.. A lot of scraps go in it and the dog has to check it out when we come in. The first thing she does is run across the yard close to the house to see if the wife has gone to the pile while we were at the farm. No trip to the pile by the wife means no trip by the dog.

Dogs and Cows":154zml5a said:
Brute 23":154zml5a said:
Jogeephus":154zml5a said:

Water helps the track... the scent holds with moisture. Its harder to track across dusty, dry terrain. When you train young dogs you wet what ever you want them to track to help them out.

I've never tracked a person but have been amazed with hunting dogs on more than one occasion. I've seen them follow a trail where I walked to the T from a distance. They were back tracking trying to find us.

Brute...what kind of game were you hunting?? I have never done it...but am told the best (meaning the most difficult) hound hunting is dry ground lion hunting. I would LOVE to have the opportunity to watch a good pack of dogs work a lion in the south west!!!

Mostly hogs, some cattle... only hunted cats and coons a couple times.

Brute 23":1zz6eofg said:
[

Brute you are correct with the moisture aspect of helping them but the type of dog you are running matters as well. The dogs that smell the ground moisture helps but if its a dog that winds like my deer dogs moisture isn't really necessary. I run my dogs from snow to 100 degree high humidity that will make a dog. If you only run in a controlled environment by providing moisture you are doing the dog a disservice as he will not learn to over come whatever he is given to work with weather wise. Dogs trailing back to find you or another person or even where they came from is a common thing. If you make the dog work in any environment you give him he will overcome a lot and you will not have very many checks.

skyhightree1":3qd7li7z said:
Brute 23":3qd7li7z said:
[

Brute you are correct with the moisture aspect of helping them but the type of dog you are running matters as well. The dogs that smell the ground moisture helps but if its a dog that winds like my deer dogs moisture isn't really necessary. I run my dogs from snow to 100 degree high humidity that will make a dog. If you only run in a controlled environment by providing moisture you are doing the dog a disservice as he will not learn to over come whatever he is given to work with weather wise. Dogs trailing back to find you or another person or even where they came from is a common thing. If you make the dog work in any environment you give him he will overcome a lot and you will not have very many checks.
Sky, I thought the deer dogs just ran through the woods barking until a deer jumps up and they follow by sight. How in the world could they stay on one track as many deer as you have. :lol2:

kenny thomas":3fhjv2ky said:
skyhightree1":3fhjv2ky said:
Brute 23":3fhjv2ky said:
[

Sky, I thought the deer dogs just ran through the woods barking until a deer jumps up and they follow by sight. How in the world could they stay on one track as many deer as you have. :lol2:

Na they actually go in the woods and will trail them up I got 2 if I find a fresh track they will go in there trailing till they find that deer. I have guys who have dogs like that but I like tight lipped dogs and only bark on a HOT track. When I turn out 15 hounds if we get in a herd of deer they are all over you are right a lot of times they will stop if they are by themselves and go join another dog in its chase lol Its really easy to train dogs on deer here. Come get a pot load of deer and take them back home with you they need some fattening up anyway. :D

Latest posts