Outdoor Kitchen

Help Support CattleToday:

Off to a somewhat slow start because the contractor we first contacted wanted to bend us over without so much as a kiss, and that was before appliances were figured in. So, I decided to hire subs and have been messing with them to get lined out. Looks like I'm going to be saving quite a bit even after the appliances are bought and will end up with more kitchen. The down side to doing it this way is it will be slower because some of these people are currently working full time jobs and this is weekend work for them.

This is what we started with:

This is this morning after most of the demo is done:

They will be back tomorrow to finish up the demo.

I'm glad you got it started Slick, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, I've been wanting an outdoor kitchen for years but will have to wait for now. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it! Demo is almost 100% and what's left can be done later. They are digging dirt today getting ready for concrete. Boss man is on his way and he apparently hasn't told them about footers and piers yet.

Day three was spent removing dirt for an 8" slab. The guys only wanted to dig a 4" footer on the heavy side and hadn't been told about the piers. Boss man got there and that's worked out, so Saturday will be a deeper footer and piers. Concrete could very well follow that or on Sunday depending on time. Plumber, electrician and gas guys should be here Saturday too.

Farm Fence Solutions":19br8gb1 said:
Looks like it's all coming together. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

It's off to a good start so far and can't get finished soon enough. I'm ordering most everything off the internet because the brick and mortar places can't hang when it comes to prices. (Yea, I know.) Just got finished ordering the fire pit assembly and my credit card started smokin'. lol

slick4591":14dw3kaq said:
Farm Fence Solutions":14dw3kaq said:
Looks like it's all coming together. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

It's off to a good start so far and can't get finished soon enough. I'm ordering most everything off the internet because the brick and mortar places can't hang when it comes to prices. (Yea, I know.) Just got finished ordering the fire pit assembly and my credit card started smokin'. lol

Nearly all of our retail business is generated from the internet, and is out of state. Our warehouse isn't made of brick and mortar, but I have to pay for the lumber and steel, all the same. I always shop local when I can, but a great many of the Internet sellers are just like us....Small timers whose office is the dining room table. You'll probably get better service from the experts, as well.
Just keep the credit card smoke away from the brisket!

I had plans to do something along those lines and had planned to pour a slab or lay landscape bricks for the pad then come along the perimeter with a short brick wall that would serve as bench seating with planters ever so often and have gaps in this ever so often as well. I figured this would be practical in my situation to keep the sweet smelling one from filling the space with tables and furniture that I'd have to move every time I went to clean the patio. My thoughts were with the gaps in the bench seating and no furniture I could take the blower and have the area clean in less than five minutes. We have a lot of pine straw and this mess hangs on any piece of furniture when you go to blow off the patio.

I currently have plans on doing something else along this line but its on the back burner at the moment but your thread is nudging me to get off my arse.

A roof. Keeps the sun and rain (and in my case the snow) off of your stuff. I have a pretty good sized outdoor kitchen on the back of my house without a roof, and it seldom gets used. The one on the other side of the house (although not as fancy as the one on the back) has a roof and gets used pretty much year around.

You might wait long enough for me to finish so I can tell you what not to do. lol We decided last night to include an island and move the sink to it. Just found what we want and bought it.

If you look back on this thread I asked about Polygal. We are going with it in a smoke tint as the roof. Supposedly it's pretty tough stuff.

Even in Farmersville, a fireplace on the porch is a must have for me so I can enjoy that many more days on the back porch! A nice pond dug close enough for passing shots at duck would be a HUGE bonus!!

okiek":3stg855w said:
Even in Farmersville, a fireplace on the porch is a must have for me so I can enjoy that many more days on the back porch! A nice pond dug close enough for passing shots at duck would be a HUGE bonus!!

Unfortunately, the only place for a duck pond here is out of shotgun range. The fire pit will be about 15 feet away from the patio with a nice little walkway to it. At least that's the plan.

slick4591":11xmbkbw said:
You might wait long enough for me to finish so I can tell you what not to do. lol We decided last night to include an island and move the sink to it. Just found what we want and bought it.

If you look back on this thread I asked about Polygal. We are going with it in a smoke tint as the roof. Supposedly it's pretty tough stuff.

I see now. I have a greenhouse made out of it. Yes, it is VERY tough stuff. $$$, but tough. You will like it.

millstreaminn":r9bjf444 said:
I see now. I have a greenhouse made out of it. Yes, it is VERY tough stuff. $$$, but tough. You will like it.

I sure hope it's worth the money. It has been highly recommended by several contractors.

okiek":2viov9ob said:

SKEETERS!!!

and snakes

greybeard":wabvxxoa said:
SKEETERS!!!

and snakes

Probably can't do much about snakes but a 6' ceiling fan came in today which should keep the skeeters spread out. Fire pit is here along with all the stainless cabinet doors, shelves and drawers. The Santa Maria grill should be delivered tomorrow. This means I can relax a bit because I was worried they wouldn't be here until after the counter build. This way the stone mason can make sure they are a good fit. The only major thing left in the way of appliances is fabrication of the smoker doors which might be finished the end of next week, but that's still ahead of schedule.

A little more progress going on today. It has rained the last couple of mornings running the plumber/electrician/gas guy off. He returned this morning to work. First off... the guy speaks English, but it's not great. There is a water line that runs from the house to the old barn (torn down) that I've wanted killed for a long time, just never knew for sure where it originated. It was uncovered Saturday and when I saw the portion of line running up and under the house was still in good shape I wanted to use that to feed the kitchen and that would kill the other part running to the old barn.

For some reason the guy wanted to tap into that line about 30 feet from where I wanted him to and leave a lot of live old rusty pipe under the patio. We went over all that Monday morning and I knew he didn't understand it. This morning I was finally able to convince him and it's now getting done correctly. If this guy gets the water, gas and electricity stubbed in we are still on schedule for concrete Saturday morning.

Latest posts