?? Your favorite life-saver kitchen ingredient or tool ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I think everyone that cooks or even plays in the kitchen has a favorite ingredient or tool. I have lots of tools. All are handy -- can't really think of a favorite.

BUT, I used to cringe at making gravy or sauces. They always turned out lumpy/bad texture/mud, until I discovered Gold Medal's WONDRA flour. Comes in a blue cardboard can. I still don't do gravies and sauces "perfect" every time, but the chances of "pretty darn good" are a lot higher!

Meat thermometer with a wire to an outside the oven indicator, second would be an instant read thermometer

I think good sharp balanced knives are the best tool you can have. A person shouldn't be fooled into buying name brand because if it doesn't fit your hand it's just another knife.

This is a tough question. I have a knife that is just perfect and I'd hate to do without it then the thermometer is so useful too.

Microwave, nothing like warmed up coffee or evening tea in 1 minute left overs for lunch in 3 or 4 minutes.

Kathie, wondra is the key to smooth gravy, been using it for years.

Alan

Alan":3b3b5lrw said:
Microwave, nothing like warmed up coffee or evening tea in 1 minute left overs for lunch in 3 or 4 minutes.

Kathie, wondra is the key to smooth gravy, been using it for years.

Alan
Or just making a good rue to start alwasy works perfect with any kind of flour.

I agree with Jo, there are just too many useful tools that we use each day .

I have to say I would be lost without my German Henckels knife set and my Japanese Steel Santoku knives ,they make preparing easy. I also have become very attached to my pasta roller and cutter . I really love my double oven range with convection ,as well as my Gen Air grill . Hm mm , yet I can think of a tonne of other things I could use in my kitchen to make life easier as well. ;-)

You guys have the tools covered. So I'll start with ingredients.
My favorite is garlic. Powder, chipped, crushed, anything garlic. It goes in everything or on everything I make with very few exceptions.

I would have to say my set of Old Hickory knives.. been using them for years.. they are cheap but fantastic knives to use for any occasion. Use them many times when I am butchering my deer each year.

hooknline":l0dko9lb said:
You guys have the tools covered. So I'll start with ingredients.
My favorite is garlic. Powder, chipped, crushed, anything garlic. It goes in everything or on everything I make with very few exceptions.
#2 on my list.

alisonb":3fw2b5ka said:
My onion cutter!!! :cry2:

They say if you hold a piece of bread in your mouth your eyes won't water. I wear glasses and gloves when I chop habaneros up . :help:

hillsdown":10qk078z said:
alisonb":10qk078z said:
My onion cutter!!! :cry2:

They say if you hold a piece of bread in your mouth your eyes won't water. I wear glasses and gloves when I chop habaneros up . :help:
They also say if you drink a few beers & chase it with a drink of Jack Daniels that you wont care if it makes your eyes water or not... :lol: But what do "THEY" know anyway....

Either bacon or mayonaise or both usually finds it's way into anything I cook. Garlic is right up there.I'm to the point where I grow at least three different varieties of garlic every year... This year I have five varieties in the ground.
My favorite tool in the kitchen has to be the pocketknife. I got so used to using it for everything from opening lids to stirring a pot to cutting up whatever got cooked as a single man that it's still my go-to tool... Now that I'm married it serves double duty as both a tool and a time-saving device as whenever it comes out my wife kicks me out of the kitchen and I sudenly have spare time. :lol:

I woulda thought your favorite device woulda been the bottle opener cp :D :hide: :banana:

hooknline":6ivan96p said:
I woulda thought your favorite device woulda been the bottle opener cp :D :hide: :banana:
Twist offs and pop tops have about eliminated the bottle opener and the "church key".

For tool, the balanced sharp knife, I use it to cut things, flip things in the frying pan, to stir pots and sometimes to open the beer bottles (Usually I use one bottle to open the other so an opener feels unnecessary).
As for ingredients; it is onions, fried, fresh, boiled or anything between. I put it in most all food, It gives a great taste and is very healthy.

hooknline":2zrgovw6 said:
My intake has been really moderate and I quit chewing. That means that you drink twice as much as I do(lately it's been more than twice unless you've cut that back) and neither of us use tobacco. :banana:
I don't blame you though... nobody likes a quiter, or non-quiting quiter, or however that works.