Out of State Pasture Leasing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We have a CL ISO pasture ad from someone who is about 250 miles away. How do graziers successfully go about managing something like this?

Around here they hire someone to watch the cattle, either by the head or just a monthly fee. A few of my neighbors live from 150-400 miles away and run cattle on 800+ acres. I'm not trusting enough to do this.

you could mount a "tile" device or something on them and track them on GPS. that'd be the only way I'd be able to sleep at night.

There is some east west or north south grazing done here - - where cattle go to grass in the summer and then come back to corn stalks and byproduct in the winter. Most of them are within 60 to 90 miles of summer pasture and may/might/should check cattle once a week.
I have some cattle 10 miles away, and do a paddock move every 2 to 3 days. My dog really likes it and wishes we did daily moves. :nod:

I have some pasture about 90 miles from the house. I vaccinate for everything under the sun, and have gotten along very well. Good fences and water, so that's no worry. They come home for the winter. I mounted a cellular trail camera up high in a tree over looking the mineral feeders. I get pictures texted to me daily, so I know Atleast most of them are accounted for. I try to make it down to check them and fill mineral feeders every other week. The trail cam idea has really made it less stressful.

Latest posts