Out of Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes 5 acres to the adult animal. Seed winter grazing like ryegrass and reseed your pastures. Sell the calves and some of the cows.
It will be the second year after the drought ends before the grass and hay is built up to a level where the cattle will pay for themselves.
If you have valuable non commercial cattle attempt to sell them as such meaning not at the barn. Someone may want your breeding stock. We are in the worst of it 200 miles away the drought is minimal.
I am at 4.3 acres to the cow. I can make any money due to low numbers and inflated cost for a long time. But I still have a reason for my big diesel pickup.

Not the best feed in the world, but if you can get some gin trash delivered to your place it will help keep their bellies full. Its free, except for the cost of delivery. If you can't get this, look at other alternatives in your area. Check with extension agent and he will direct you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Hayes' Farms":2s779c8x said:
Hi every one I am new to the site, I am a 23 year old begining farmer,I have lived on a farm my whole life, but I have never seen Dad or Grandpa, feed hay this early in the year. My question is this.

Dried Distilers Grain + Hay
Soy Hulls + Hay
Corn Gluten Feed + Hay

I have 35 Angus first calf heifers with a calf at side averaging 400lbs. What is the best, and how many lbs. per head per day, will replace pasture?
==============
Hayes...,

Hang in there. ..tough.

Concluding that the cows bred back, taking a hit on the body score of 1 to 1-1/2 should not hurt. You may have smaller calves next. But, part of the price to pay.

I would pull the calves off...now. TRY to keep the cows in as good of body condition as possible.....going into winter.

I believe your area was included in the extreme drought class(USDA) as us and that makes set-aside available for pasture and hay. May not be the best but could help with proper minerals and supplements. Explore it, there may be some available.

I think you are correct the price of good cows come spring will be up..... major style. We have culled in the commercial herd.... heavy. That will give us sustaining hay and an opportunity for mid winter buys.

Check out the following for some help on rations options;

http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_feed_c ... on_tables/

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders85.html

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/01618.html

Hopkinsville prices as of 9/20
DDG $125 a ton

The wet stuff is $50 if you can store and transport it.

We are in Butler County and really not seeing any hay for sale, seen 50 rolls the other day for $80.

If this winter ends our 2 year drought. What would likely be the price of decent commercial cows next spring say April? I have several neighbors and extended family that are saying twice last years near normal price range 750 to 1200 for 4 year old middle of the herd. Discounting the odd ball price? We have some new comers that have paid 1500 to 3000 for particular cows. What do you think?

Latest posts