Our Breeding Season/Plan...

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
Yesterday we got the last of the bulls out to pasture. We try to stick to a June 1 turnout, but with so many pastures that isn't as easy to make happen as I wish, lol. That and uncooperative weather meant that most of the boys got turned out May 29 rather than June 1 this year. With the forecast calling for rain May 30 and 31, and the fact that we have some difficult areas to get into if it does rain much we decided to beat the forecast and hauled them out a couple days early. Shouldn't make a big difference (actually will help the ones bred Char to calve a little closer to the start of calving next year), and I'd rather have a few early, rather than later calves anyways. These were the easy bunch, a truck, a trailer and drop them off with their cows....

The other bunch of cows, is 2 hours north of us, but the roads up to the pasture are not a problem even with a lot of rain. Getting them to the pasture...no problem...Getting them to the cows however....

This is the yearling Shorthorn bull that will be on our heifers.
13336147_10208283459697741_7831048405598995765_n.jpg

12871467_10208283458697716_5493713187541254755_n.jpg

Actually, it went fairly well. We had to trail 2 about a mile, and 1 about a 1/2 mile. The 2 year old, went along quite well, but along the way he turned into a bloodhound, and that made moving him a bit more challenging :cboy:, as he thought he should follow his nose... The yearlings went fairly well, the 1/2 mile was easy. But the other one gave us a bit of trouble, he decided that he'd rather go back than keep going forward, and DH had taken off with the bike to finish setting up the electric fence. But once he came back the 2 of us were able to persuade the bull to keep on trucking. And he found the prize in the end....

So, here's what we do for breeding season. Starting June 1 (or so) all the bulls get to go out. We run about 1/2 the cows with Char bulls for the whole season. About June 1 to July 20

Here's 2 of the 4
13340153_10208283217771693_5533351513788466975_o.jpg

13323449_10208283329294481_5263213758159631448_o.jpg

The other 1/2 go out with either Red Angus or Shorthorn bulls (I'll get some photos of the new guys eventually) for 21-22 days. Then, we run the Char bulls on all the cows until the end of breeding season.

The plan is to get replacement heifers on the first cycle, on the best cows, and breed for pounds on all the other cows, and on all the later calving cows. I'm fairly strict on what gets bred Red Angus or Shorthorn, to get bred Red they have to have decent conformation (no bad bags or feet, etc), have a good temperament, have calved on the first cycle, and raised a pretty good calf last year (or in the case of the first calvers, have a pretty good looking calf coming along).

Now, having said all this, we're pretty strict on culling for most of this stuff anyways. But I'll keep a cow with poorer feet or udder around as long as she's raising a decent calf without any assistance from us. I know this year I had a difficult time choosing some of the cows that went Char off the start, but we don't like to run too many cows per bull if we can avoid it (30 for 2 years and up and about 20 for yearlings) And I went back into my records looking at things such as if we'd ever kept a heifer off of her/did that heifer make a good cow.

The hope is that next spring, out of 100 cows bred Red, a minimum of 60%-70% will have calved on the first cycle (60-70), and 50% of those should have heifer calves, so we should have about 30-35 heifers that should almost all be replacement quality. AND, by breeding all the poorer end and later calving cows Charolais, we won't be nearly as tempted to keep those heifer calves as replacements :cowboy: And an added bonus in this area, those Charx heifers sell at the top of the market too.

Sounds like a good plan!.. not terribly dissimilar to mine.. As a test I'm breeding a lot of my good cows to my homeraised bull who's made really well built and nice calves so far (definitely not getting any heterosis from the linebreeding idea), and the Limo, with higher BW gets the cows I want pounds out of.

Nice bulls! I really like that top Char & the Shorthorn looks like he is very thick topped. We have a few pastures where it's pretty hard to get to if it rains... One year we had to turn around and come home with the bull still on the trailer as there was no way to get to the cows. Not fun when it's a 40 minute trip one way. Another year we had to unload him on the road and walk him 1/2 mile on foot to the pasture. The next year we were smarter and loaded the quad on the trailer too.

Your plan is pretty much exactly what I would do if we ran a strictly commercial operation. Maybe wouldn't have the shorthorn in the mix (even though the few cows we do have with SH are excellent cows), but a Red Angus X Char calf is very hard to beat in our area. The last few years we've been running a SimAngus, a Gelbvieh & either a Red or Black Angus bull with commercial cows. This year we will still have the SimAngus & the Gelbvieh but added a tan Char bull. Have one pasture that will have about 70 commercial pairs (reds & blacks) and will have a Black Angus & the Char with those cows. Gonna look kind of funny from the road but hey it'll be easy to tell which bull sired which calf. The Gelbvieh usually goes with the 15 or so tan/light red cows (plus 5 or so other cows) we have and he throws a lot of bronze/tan calves out of them, so they should blend in nicely with the calves from the tan bull hopefully. This will probably be the last year we will use the Gelbvieh (he's 6 already...wow time flies!) and we will probably replace him with a Char bull as well.

I don't know a thing about Charolais bloodlines but thought I recognized a couple names that are in yours... I just looked at our bulls papers again and he has the Sparrows Alcatraz bull in his pedigree as well.

creekdrive":2cec2cnk said:
Nice bulls! I really like that top Char & the Shorthorn looks like he is very thick topped. We have a few pastures where it's pretty hard to get to if it rains... One year we had to turn around and come home with the bull still on the trailer as there was no way to get to the cows. Not fun when it's a 40 minute trip one way. Another year we had to unload him on the road and walk him 1/2 mile on foot to the pasture. The next year we were smarter and loaded the quad on the trailer too.

Your plan is pretty much exactly what I would do if we ran a strictly commercial operation. Maybe wouldn't have the shorthorn in the mix (even though the few cows we do have with SH are excellent cows), but a Red Angus X Char calf is very hard to beat in our area. The last few years we've been running a SimAngus, a Gelbvieh & either a Red or Black Angus bull with commercial cows. This year we will still have the SimAngus & the Gelbvieh but added a tan Char bull. Have one pasture that will have about 70 commercial pairs (reds & blacks) and will have a Black Angus & the Char with those cows. Gonna look kind of funny from the road but hey it'll be easy to tell which bull sired which calf. The Gelbvieh usually goes with the 15 or so tan/light red cows (plus 5 or so other cows) we have and he throws a lot of bronze/tan calves out of them, so they should blend in nicely with the calves from the tan bull hopefully. This will probably be the last year we will use the Gelbvieh (he's 6 already...wow time flies!) and we will probably replace him with a Char bull as well.

I don't know a thing about Charolais bloodlines but thought I recognized a couple names that are in yours... I just looked at our bulls papers again and he has the Sparrows Alcatraz bull in his pedigree as well.

We are trying, mostly to go with a 3 way cross on the market calves. A good 2 way for the cows. Most of the cows are a mix of Red/Black Angus and Shorthorn now. Although we still have a number of straight Angus and some Angus x Hereford in the mix, and of course a few straight Shorthorn.

I think that the ultimate cross would be to have Gelbveih x Shorthorn (Red Angus would be a close second for me) and to cross them onto a Char bull. I think that cross would be hard to beat. I'd do it, but DH doesn't quite agree with me. It took me a long time to get the Shorthorns added, and this is the 2nd calf crop of Char x calves.....

We originally considered running Tan or even Red Char bulls (there's a breeder close by that breeds a lot of red ones), but in the end decided to go with White ones. The thought was to get a more consistent group of calves. White bulls will nearly always throw a Tan or Grey calf on our Red and Black cows. Using a Tan bull and we'd have every colour...Red, Black, Tan and Grey... Of course we will still have a few red and black steers, but that will be a minimal number.

As far as bloodlines go, I really have no idea. We look at numbers (EPD's and Actual ones) and then look at the bull. And, as we're using them for a terminal cross, we don't have to worry about much more than calving ease and growth.

We do spring and fall down here in Arkansas it works pretty well we turn out bulls May 1st spring and Thanksgiving weekend for fall for 60 days. We do one group of about 60 cows most blk & bmf with 2 line one Hereford bulls both spring and fall, the other smaller groups red & bwf cows with black gelbvieh Bulls.

Latest posts