Orchard Grass MIG Tips ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
- I used a mix with 10% orchard grass about 6 years ago. During rainy periods it seems to be re seeding itself and becoming the dominate forage in most areas. I thought more OG was a problem, but now I think I just need to work with it by making some small changes to get more clover and better utilization.
- After a paddock shift the cattle will eat all the legume, then most of the OG seed heads, then some of the stems. The residual looks like a thin patch of 12" long stems but there are seed heads laying on the ground. I am running a 3 to 5 day grazing period followed by a 5 to 6 week rest period.
- I plan to try no tilling some red clover into it. Any OG grazing tips on smaller paddocks vs. shorter rest period vs. other approaches ?

I am rotating thru some 'Persist Orchardgrass' right now. This is the 2nd rotation...about a 45 day recovery, the blades are about knee high. I'm giving about 40 cows 10 heifers 16 months old and about 35 calves...... about an acre a day. They love it now.....the palatability will probably go down as the summer progresses, but then back up after frost.

Latest posts