orchard grass in alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

leeallen

Reaction score
I seeded some new alfalfa this year and found the horse people tend to like the orchard grass/alfalfa mix here in Indiana. How much orchardgrass should I sow to the acre to come up with a good mix? I got some good cuttings from the alfalfa this summer but it is not as marketable as the mix. thanks

We plant 10-12lbs of grass w/ alfalfa 'here'. If it is dryland I would guess less would work just as well. Guys that are overseeding into existing alfalfa sometimes use more because it is hard to get good germination planting into alfalfa crowns.

lee....,
You can check with your extension agent. You may want to add some timothy with that mix ..instead of MORE OG. Good for cows and horses. Timothy seems to offer a little more shade for the alfalfa and you could get extra height I am told. OG is good but seems to disappear faster. We get about 300 small square bales of that mix each year from a nearby farmer to grind in our feed. we like it.

you can broadcast in early spring 6-8lbs of orchard grass and mix some timothy in also.Make sure you use varieties that are mature at the same time.Get a late maturing orchard grass and if you use timothy also make sure it's a early maturing type.If you use an early maturing o.grass if the weather is cool&damp the o.grass will be over mature before the alfalfa is ready.Some guys also use a no-till drill early in the spring and drill the orchard grass in to the alfalfa.They say the 1st cutting no orchard grass but by the 2nd&3rd cutting the o.grass is coming in good.A lot of o.grass varieties will take about a year to get a good stand and be productive.

Latest posts