Oral application of Ivomec

Help Support CattleToday:

Elkman

Reaction score
We're relative newbies in raising cattle, but raised elk for about 15 years. With the elk, for tick control and worming, we used a recommended oral-administration program of adding 1 oz of Ivomec alcohol-base pour-on per 300lbs of body weight. It was mixed with water and poured over feed, dried, then fed to the animals. This program was very successful in controlling ticks, which can be a problem in our area. We also wormed the elk twice a year when we worked them. Has anybody used this on their cattle? If so, what dosage do you use? With elk, for normal pour-on applications, you had to double what the cattle dosage was for it to be effective.
Thanks

Elkman,
While the pour-ons have USDA/FDA approval... studies have shown that,in the real world, pour-ons are not really an especially effective method of deworming cattle. Yes, they're easy to apply... but studies have shown that only about 30% of applied drug actually gets to where it needs to be to actually kill worms.
So...MY recommendation to you would be to use approved formulations in their intended manner - either injectible anthelminthics, or an oral drench - and in either case... administered at an appropriate dosage for the weight of the animal.
Additionally, field studies have also demonstrated that for many of the generic formulations (especially the avermectins), while the generic form may meet the required 'percentage of active ingredient', performance is often quite inferior to that of the 'name-brand' product.

Lucky_P":l008r6z0 said:
Elkman,
While the pour-ons have USDA/FDA approval... studies have shown that,in the real world, pour-ons are not really an especially effective method of deworming cattle. Yes, they're easy to apply... but studies have shown that only about 30% of applied drug actually gets to where it needs to be to actually kill worms.
So...MY recommendation to you would be to use approved formulations in their intended manner - either injectible anthelminthics, or an oral drench - and in either case... administered at an appropriate dosage for the weight of the animal.
Additionally, field studies have also demonstrated that for many of the generic formulations (especially the avermectins), while the generic form may meet the required 'percentage of active ingredient', performance is often quite inferior to that of the 'name-brand' product.
Lucky he said they were feeding pour on what's your opinion on that

We've used the pour-on products, orally, in small ruminants, for years - we try to stay away from injectibles in sheep/goats, due to them promoting emergence of anthelminthic-resistant populations of worms(especially H. contortus, the barberpole worm).
Mixing with water, pouring over feed, drying... not the approved route of administration... may be effective, but I don't know if any of those manipulations have any adverse effect on the drug or its efficacy.
Unless you're feeding animals individually, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that they're getting the appropriate dosage for their weight. We all know that in a group-feeding situation, more agressive animals may get more than they need, while more timid animals may not get enough. I'd still opt for individual dosing - whether by injection or drench.

Interesting..
The ivermectin pour on I currently use plainly states:
Precautions
Store away from excessive heat (104°F/40°C) and protect from light.

Use only in well-ventilated areas or outdoors.

Close container tightly when not in use.

Cattle should not be treated when hair or hide is wet since reduced efficacy may be experienced.

Do not use when rain is expected to wet cattle within six hours after treatment.

This product is for application to skin surface only. Do not give orally or parenterally.

gb,
Oral administration for small ruminants was necessary for several of reasons - #1 - until just recently, very few products were even 'labeled' for use in small ruminants... so we had to do 'Extra-Label' drug usage on them. #2 - Injectibles, for the most part, have a 'long tail' of subtherapeutic levels that promote emergence of resistant populations of nematode parasites, #3- sheep and goats are not small cows; they metabolize drugs at differing rates, pour-ons are poorly-absorbed, if at all - and in reality, majority of the effect of pour-ons in cattle is from them ingesting it while licking themselves/herdmates - small ruminants don't groom one another to any extent.

Certainly would expect a product developed for oral drenching to be a better choice than giving a pour-on orally.

Elkman":166zcote said:
We're relative newbies in raising cattle, but raised elk for about 15 years. With the elk, for tick control and worming, we used a recommended oral-administration program of adding 1 oz of Ivomec alcohol-base pour-on per 300lbs of body weight. It was mixed with water and poured over feed, dried, then fed to the animals. This program was very successful in controlling ticks, which can be a problem in our area. We also wormed the elk twice a year when we worked them. Has anybody used this on their cattle? If so, what dosage do you use? With elk, for normal pour-on applications, you had to double what the cattle dosage was for it to be effective.
Thanks
Fenbendazol is approved. You can get it formulated into pelleted feed or just put out the Safeguard Wormer Blocks.

Thanks to all of you for your information on my question. As far as using oral Ivomectin, elk have a lot of similarities to goats, so that's most likely why the oral application was used on elk. I went ahead and used the pour-on (per label instructions!) and will research the other suggestions (such as Safe-Guard) for future applications. I appreciate the time taken by all in answering my question.

Lucky_P":2skkyp5y said:
gb,
Oral administration for small ruminants was necessary for several of reasons - #1 - until just recently, very few products were even 'labeled' for use in small ruminants... so we had to do 'Extra-Label' drug usage on them. #2 - Injectibles, for the most part, have a 'long tail' of subtherapeutic levels that promote emergence of resistant populations of nematode parasites, #3- sheep and goats are not small cows; they metabolize drugs at differing rates, pour-ons are poorly-absorbed, if at all - and in reality, majority of the effect of pour-ons in cattle is from them ingesting it while licking themselves/herdmates - small ruminants don't groom one another to any extent.

Certainly would expect a product developed for oral drenching to be a better choice than giving a pour-on orally.

LP, would you please explain more in reference the injectables 'long tail' of subtherapeutic levels? I understand the effect of subtherapy, but why does this occur in injectibles. I was under the impression that the pour ons were a major culprit of sub therapy. Was just about to order some Ivomec injectible for this fall.

Thank you in advance.

Off topic I don't use pour on. Friend was doing pour on had steer that would not leave chute hit with hot shot caught him on fire! On topic use injectable dewormer and spray and use oilers. Labels are there for areason

bball,
Parasite resistance issues could potentially become an issue, with regard to cattle, at some point in time - and I've been seeing some reports of apparent ivermectin/doramectin resistance on some premises for several years.

'Worms' will rarely, if ever KILL a cow or calf; yes, they impact growth/performance, but for the most part, nematode parasitism is not a life-threatening situation. That is NOT the case for sheep/goats; nematode parasitism - and anthelminthic resistance - is a major problem for small ruminants.
Haemonchus contortus, the barberpole worm, is responsible for over 90% of deaths in small ruminants in the Southeastern US (and in many other parts of the world, as well); H.contortus has a short generation time - about 3 weeks from ingestion of infectious larvae to mature adults producing eggs. The long tail of subtherapeutic drug levels that we see with many of the injectible avermectins results in lengthy exposure of H.contortus to less-than-lethal levels, and rapid selection for resistance genes in the population of worms on that premises.

Lucky_P":2ru15uvu said:
bball,
Parasite resistance issues could potentially become an issue, with regard to cattle, at some point in time - and I've been seeing some reports of apparent ivermectin/doramectin resistance on some premises for several years.

'Worms' will rarely, if ever KILL a cow or calf; yes, they impact growth/performance, but for the most part, nematode parasitism is not a life-threatening situation. That is NOT the case for sheep/goats; nematode parasitism - and anthelminthic resistance - is a major problem for small ruminants.
Haemonchus contortus, the barberpole worm, is responsible for over 90% of deaths in small ruminants in the Southeastern US (and in many other parts of the world, as well); H.contortus has a short generation time - about 3 weeks from ingestion of infectious larvae to mature adults producing eggs. The long tail of subtherapeutic drug levels that we see with many of the injectible avermectins results in lengthy exposure of H.contortus to less-than-lethal levels, and rapid selection for resistance genes in the population of worms on that premises.

Thanks LP. I follow now. I see what I was missing.

Latest posts