Options... need thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
To give some background we have the opportunity to pick up some land down south at a VERY good price. The winters are very mild if any at all and what grass is there is very rich and high in protein. It can be miserable hot country though also. The properties would all have people around at least weekly that dont mind helping keep an eye on things.

We have another hunting property in the area with lodging and other things that helps justifying going down and provides lodging.

My dilemma is what to do with it?

I'm leery of a cow calf deal because of being locked in bulls and calving and not being in the area regularly. The way we are getting this country would not require us to do any thing with it in a dry year to kind of mitigate risk and fits with the owners operations.

My thought is weaning our more local calves, getting them situated for 60 days or so then sending them down there.

I'm a little leery if there is any money in doing that? Would a person just turn and haul them to a sale barn or would it be better to line up a buyer for the larger calves?

It would help with developing our own heifers and I would probably put a little more effort in to marketing some of the other heifers. There is an opportunity of picking up a few head to tag on if it was worth while. I just dont want to end up babysitting cattle like a feedlot. The goal would to be to turn them out and let them add weight on grass. We do some very small scale holding of calves with replacement heifers and butcher calves. Rarely ever do they need any doctoring.

Any one have any ideas how long it would take to get them to a marketable weight? Who would be your potential buyers? Etc?

Latest posts