Opinions wanted - Part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
These are the sisters to last heifer I posted. They're around 6 months. Keep or cull? Strong points or flaws? (yeah I know, lotsa ear)

P7290074.jpg

P7300076.jpg

The following two are 4 month olds:

P7290073.jpg

P7270051.jpg

i think you need to cull em all! i'll take em. :lol:

jt

keep and breed to good angus bull. but you could about breed those heifers to any bull without bra. influance & get a great calf. i crazy bout bra f1s .
:lol:

Opinions? Keep 1 & 4, sell the others to someone for replacements. I do kinda like #3 though.

id keep all 4 to go back into your herd.breed them to a hereford bullan get some heck of a set of tigerstripes. scott

I liked all of them, I think that either a Angus or Sim. bull would work well on them. The ear doesn't bother me, I prefer some ear on my mamma cows.
If I had to cull just one it would be #3. I don't know if it's the picture or what but she doesn't look to be as big boned / framed, as the other 3.

;-)

Keep 1,3,and 4 for your herd. bring 2 inside and set her next to the TV and see if you get more stations. They are all gorgeous.
i think the thing about 3 is that her legs are so long. a good angus or hereford can fix that. if they can get up there that is.

Keep all of these heifers or if you decide to cull send them my way. Those are some good looking heifers. Should make some very good cows. Throw a Hereford bull on them when it's time to breed them.

Keep #1 and #4, And breed to a good Angus bull. I would sell # 2 and 3.
#2 I can see her Hightailing ass through the pasture to opposite direction of what you want her to go every time you go to bring them up and work them. #3 seems to be a little to light of bone. I would sell her. Plenty of people will fall in love with and buy her.

la4angus":2uob6h6x said:
Keep #1 and #4, And breed to a good Angus bull. I would sell # 2 and 3.
#2 I can see her Hightailing ass through the pasture to opposite direction of what you want her to go every time you go to bring them up and work them. #3 seems to be a little to light of bone. I would sell her. Plenty of people will fall in love with and buy her.

Thanks for the comments LA. What exactly clues you in on #2?

Actually, I'm concerned about the temperament of both #1 and #2. They can be a bit flighty. I'm hoping they'll tame down adequately once they're penned and I start to feed them. #4, I think, will become another arm licker/shirttail nibbler.

We have alot of heifers that are flighty but like you said when we get them in a lot after they are weaned and start giving them some feed they calm down. I've got one that I was sure would take wings and fly off one day but now I have to knock her out of my way to get to the feed troughs.

I see that a couple of the heifers in the pictures are smaller boned but I still think they would make nice cows.

Rustler9":1zcmz374 said:
We have alot of heifers that are flighty but like you said when we get them in a lot after they are weaned and start giving them some feed they calm down. I've got one that I was sure would take wings and fly off one day but now I have to knock her out of my way to get to the feed troughs.

I see that a couple of the heifers in the pictures are smaller boned but I still think they would make nice cows.

I had a char-X heifer last year that just got worse. She would come to the trough only after I'd left the pens for a few minutes. If I walked back she would run to back of the pens and pace or stare with her head high. I finally gave up and sent her down the road. I guess I'm not a cow whisperer.

milesvb":1wzjo9tq said:
Thanks for the comments LA. What exactly clues you in on #2?

Actually, I'm concerned about the temperament of both #1 and #2. They can be a bit flighty. I'm hoping they'll tame down adequately once they're penned and I start to feed them. #4, I think, will become another arm licker/shirttail nibbler.
Actually there no exact clues on the 2nd hfr to point to her being a crazy SOB. The combination of the Zebra Stripe, the tilt of her head, the ears standing out and pointing forward, the look and slant of her eyes, and her stance shows that she is about ready to haul ass right now. IMO if you want trouble, just keep her around until someone calls and tells you that she caused a wreck on the road after she jumped the fence.

They're all a very nice set of heifers that should develop into some excellent brood cows. The amount of Brahman blood in them is nothing to apologize for. The Brahman F1 is the "Queen of the Cow Country." If I were to criticize the lot, I'd have to say the third calf may be too fine in bone structure and she appears to not as deep bodied as the other three. That could be an optical illusion because she is so leggy. However, I believe, based on visual appraisal, these girls would be money makers when bred to a Continental or Angus bull.
J. T.

keep them all!!! Outstanding potetial!!!Put them wit either Angus or a limi or simental sire that guarentees black calves and plus the limi and simental would give u meaty calves especially on those outstanding frames those heifers have :lol: ooo and i say black b/c thats wat is in demand on the market at the moment.

Thats my 2 cents

Latest posts