Opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

What would be your choice of bulls to breed to Red Brangus x Charolais cows for 3rd, terminal cross?

• Braunveih

• Fleckveih

• Red Simmental

• a red Brahma composite like Gert, BM, Braford, etc

• a black bull

• other ( explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
won't let me vote, but obviously I would vote Simmental.
50/50 gave you excellent reasons, but something he didn't point out is the great marbling the breed offers.
Continental breeds are all going to give you power and growth, but Simmental us the highest marbling Continental.
Charolais have a different diluter gene (I believe) than what's in the Simmental breed.
IF it works the way I think it SHOULD work, all their offspring should be diluted because Char are carrying 2 diluter genes. So all offspring are carrying 1 diluter gene. Her offspring may or may not get it ....50-50 chance.
But, in the back of my peabrain, seems like they dont follow the rules!
Is there a difference in the Fleckveih Simms and the black or red Simms of today as far as marbling? Cattleman mentioned that some of the Red & White Simms carry a diluter gene. So I guess if you used a Fleckveih that carried it, combined with the 1 diluter gene form the Charolais, you;d have a lot morse chance of a yellow and white, right? Where as using a red Simm, you'will most likely get a deeper red calf than what the mommas are?

I agree. Simm or Fleck ,same genetics really. I didn't suggest black because I am not sure how much impact that CHar dilute gene would have in a 25% Char. Smokies get hit as hard or harder than white and red here, and in most other places, other than a small region in Oregon where they alledgedly outsell even black! :) The same man that bought Dan's Red Angus x Charbary heifers and the red Brangus x Charolais heifers, is also buying all the Char heifers that just calved to a red angus bull, and that Dan is going to AI to the red Brangus bull. Given all of that I guess he is going to use Red Brangus to breed all of these back with. Just thought I would see what people thought of other crosses.
If smokies, whites, and reds get hit the same, I stand by my statement. Might as well be standing ready to make up for the hit in weight.

lLike wise, I am shocked that you didn't have an opinion You always do, solicited or not. I know you fool with some red angus crosses; have you ever had red=angus /Charolais cows?
I was string jerking.... But that aside I have one experience with Charolais. I had just acquired this 80 with a decent fence on one end and side.
The other end was an old woven hog wire with a barb or two that I had driven some steels in and tied up with wire, no stock on that side so I
figured it would do for a while. The front road side had a good 2 and maybe half a wire with a post every now and then but there was a big
gorge to slow them down that had water and a lot of grass so figured I could stab a fence along the front before they went on the dirt road.
I'm thinking it was 21 or 22 head of 550 weight heifers early May. Let them in on the back side and they never stopped until they hit the road!
My religious conversion must have started about that time because they turned around and ran back down in the gorge and stayed there until
I got the fence up in shape. I concocted a corral from planks and spikes in some willow trees and while not pretty was quite adequate.
They were to put it mildly wild as h_LL . but for some reason liked the willows and corral. Every time you went near them they would tear ass
for the corral. They did me OK buy I never hankered for another one. My project now (since 08) is trying to turn a black brown muzzle
Corriente into a 15/16 red & white spotted Red Angus which I did last spring. A bull calf which I cut. I can get spots up to 3/4 then they tend
to go solid black or red at 7/8. After 7/8 so far has yielded a calf that favored the mother. Which means only one 7/8 spotted so far.
Once I get to 3/4 the steers will get to around 900 at eleven months to a year with the heifers proportionately less. That is feeding a 3% ration
of distillers,, ground cobs and mediocre hay.
What I think is noteworthy and I never expected it in the beginning but the last of the purebred RA will most likely go this year. They cannot
compete with the Corriente crosses in longevity especially involving feet and hips and calving on time every year. Now I was not happy with the
calf this spring as I consider it unsatisfactory. Regardless of color it will never grade and yield. There is no incestual breeding but is a 1st calf
with a different bull on line for the new year from a different bloodline. I was never set up for it due to the lack of scale but if I were to do it over.
I would start with half bloods to save not having that first narrow ass generation. Would I want a herd of spotted Angus? NO.
Would I like to say, "I did that." Yes. Do I care what someone else does? I think Red Angus / Charolais cross has all the advantages
of a bolt action shotgun at a skeet match. (you're welcome)

If smokies, whites, and reds get hit the same, I stand by my statement. Might as well be standing ready to make up for the hit in weight.
Dunno who all can see it, but 4 votes for Fleck, 10 for Simm, 1 for black and 1 for "other Brahma composite}. 3 said "other" but only one person, Coach, named what they would use., He said red Angus.

I was string jerking.... But that aside I have one experience with Charolais. I had just acquired this 80 with a decent fence on one end and side.
The other end was an old woven hog wire with a barb or two that I had driven some steels in and tied up with wire, no stock on that side so I
figured it would do for a while. The front road side had a good 2 and maybe half a wire with a post every now and then but there was a big
gorge to slow them down that had water and a lot of grass so figured I could stab a fence along the front before they went on the dirt road.
I'm thinking it was 21 or 22 head of 550 weight heifers early May. Let them in on the back side and they never stopped until they hit the road!
My religious conversion must have started about that time because they turned around and ran back down in the gorge and stayed there until
I got the fence up in shape. I concocted a corral from planks and spikes in some willow trees and while not pretty was quite adequate.
They were to put it mildly wild as h_LL . but for some reason liked the willows and corral. Every time you went near them they would tear ass
for the corral. They did me OK buy I never hankered for another one. My project now (since 08) is trying to turn a black brown muzzle
Corriente into a 15/16 red & white spotted Red Angus which I did last spring. A bull calf which I cut. I can get spots up to 3/4 then they tend
to go solid black or red at 7/8. After 7/8 so far has yielded a calf that favored the mother. Which means only one 7/8 spotted so far.
Once I get to 3/4 the steers will get to around 900 at eleven months to a year with the heifers proportionately less. That is feeding a 3% ration
of distillers,, ground cobs and mediocre hay.
What I think is noteworthy and I never expected it in the beginning but the last of the purebred RA will most likely go this year. They cannot
compete with the Corriente crosses in longevity especially involving feet and hips and calving on time every year. Now I was not happy with the
calf this spring as I consider it unsatisfactory. Regardless of color it will never grade and yield. There is no incestual breeding but is a 1st calf
with a different bull on line for the new year from a different bloodline. I was never set up for it due to the lack of scale but if I were to do it over.
I would start with half bloods to save not having that first narrow ass generation. Would I want a herd of spotted Angus? NO.
Would I like to say, "I did that." Yes. Do I care what someone else does? I think Red Angus / Charolais cross has all the advantages
of a bolt action shotgun at a skeet match. (you're welcome)
So the answer is no, you never had any RA X CHar to calves, right? These are Red Brangus x Char, but the color variables would be the same as far as their calves go.

Cousin has some Charolais bulls on R A cows but I don't see intentions of retaining heifers. We are too far north to entertain Brangus.
Some go crazy for the pinky calves. I'm just not interested in that combination, sorry.
Not to go off track but somebody needs to look in at HQ to see if someone went to sleep with their hand on a switch.
Hope it's not a gas leak......

It wouldn't let me vote but my vote would be horned Hereford, I like yellow motley faced and red motley faced cattle and they generally sell pretty good as well.
Yes! Hereford would be a good choice More genetic diversity than another Continental, or another Brahma composite or another Angus . When the Char and Simms first came down here, the infamous " cow killer bulls", there was some of the little bitty hereford and Angus we had down here that actually survived birth and the Herefords calved pretty calves that looked like a yellow hereford, Same Herford markings just yellow instead of red. People started crossing their Chars with Simms back then, and those were yellow and white as well. Marked just like the original red & white Simms, but yellow instead of red. They grew a little bigger than the char x herf, and damn did they raise some big calves. and that is what the owners is wanting to..bred for a terminal cross. 23 of these heifers are not red Brangus x Char, they are red ANGUS x Charbray. So, Hereford would be a better choice than red angus, as far as heterosis. Hereford, simm or Fleckveih would all work . Surprised no one picked Braunveih.

Is there a difference in the Fleckveih Simms and the black or red Simms of today as far as marbling? Cattleman mentioned that some of the Red & White Simms carry a diluter gene. So I guess if you used a Fleckveih that carried it, combined with the 1 diluter gene form the Charolais, you;d have a lot morse chance of a yellow and white, right? Where as using a red Simm, you'will most likely get a deeper red calf than what the mommas are?
Many of the original Sims carried the diluter gene. Here in US, we mostly bred it out of our cattle. You cannot tell if a red cow carries a diluter. Black automatically got diluted.
A light red cow "may" have the diluter....or may not. Same with a nice deep red cow, may have it or not. Only way to know is DNA test OR breed to homo black bull a few times. If she's got it, sooner or later it will show up.
I would have to say they all have best marbling of the Continentals. I have numerous PB bloodlines in my herd, and all my steers go choice at 12-13 months old. I have not bred to a fullblood in probably 35 years.
For me, they are too heavy fronted. Heavy shoulders, big head = harder calving. I'm not saying they all are, but definitely not the LOOK I want in my herd.
I want my cattle wedge shaped. Big butt, big middle, and flat shoulders. Even for commercial cattle, you don't get many expensive cuts of meat out of the shoulders.

Many of the original Sims carried the diluter gene. Here in US, we mostly bred it out of our cattle. You cannot tell if a red cow carries a diluter. Black automatically got diluted.
A light red cow "may" have the diluter....or may not. Same with a nice deep red cow, may have it or not. Only way to know is DNA test OR breed to homo black bull a few times. If she's got it, sooner or later it will show up.
I would have to say they all have best marbling of the Continentals. I have numerous PB bloodlines in my herd, and all my steers go choice at 12-13 months old. I have not bred to a fullblood in probably 35 years.
For me, they are too heavy fronted. Heavy shoulders, big head = harder calving. I'm not saying they all are, but definitely not the LOOK I want in my herd.
I want my cattle wedge shaped. Big butt, big middle, and flat shoulders. Even for commercial cattle, you don't get many expensive cuts of meat out of the shoulders.
Looks like most agree with red Simm as best choice ....3 times more at 12, then the 2nd place tie, 4 Flecks and 4 blacks. 1 "other red brahma composite" 3 "Other" and those were 1 red angus, 1 red Brangus, and 1 Horned Hereford. I was surprised Braunveih got 0 votes. I think if I was this man, for what he wants to do with them ( mash scales) I woul also pick red Simm. Unless there was a way to know if these cows will throw dilutes. If they don't, or just do it occasionally, then I would use black Simm.

Looks like most agree with red Simm as best choice ....3 times more at 12, then the 2nd place tie, 4 Flecks and 4 blacks. 1 "other red brahma composite" 3 "Other" and those were 1 red angus, 1 red Brangus, and 1 Horned Hereford. I was surprised Braunveih got 0 votes. I think if I was this man, for what he wants to do with them ( mash scales) I woul also pick red Simm. Unless there was a way to know if these cows will throw dilutes. If they don't, or just do it occasionally, then I would use black Simm.
If the cows are out of a white charolais bull (Homozygous Diluter) then they all carry 1 diluter gene. If you bred them to a homo black bull, you could expect about half of the calves to be diluted to grey.

If the cows are out of a white charolais bull (Homozygous Diluter) then they all carry 1 diluter gene. If you bred them to a homo black bull, you could expect about half of the calves to be diluted to grey.
Correct, but if he breeds them to a red, they will all be red. Evidently, there is a bigger discount in his area for grey/ mousy colored.

I gave Braunvieh a vote, just so they wouldn't be left out... I really like what they bring to the table as a terminal cross, but still look at them as a maternal cross, as well.
I'm guessing these RAxChar cows are 'yellow' or white?
I'm not exactly sure what a Braunvieh over that combo would give you, with regard to color, but you can bet that there'd be a bunch of brindles in the offing, though they might be really dilute.
The Braunvieh 'wild color', when combined with 'red' often gives you a brindle (see photo).

While Fleckvieh are Simmentals, they are not necessarily 'equivalent'. I would anticipate heavier muscling and probably more 'leather' with a Fleckvieh sire than a typical Simmental, but epd profiles of a given sire may need to be considered as they meet your needs.
We had significant Fleckvieh influence in our herd from ~1989 going forward, and the last couple of years, were using a fullbood Fleckvieh AI sire over most of our better cows.

Attachments

• 20190822_145134.jpg
    20190822_145134.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
If you look at it from a consumer's current financial (purchasing power) point of view, can't it be said that lower cost (quality) cuts are in pretty high demand? I pay attention to what is in short supply at a grocer as well as what is in good stock and in my part of the world, the cheap cuts are flying out of the meat cases.

I did not vote as the odds of me ever getting back into cattle is somewhere between slim and none but I would be tempted to experiment with Wagyu bull with the listed cross cows.

Other than the few times I read 'a little' about them here, I know nothing of Braun or flecks.
Had good luck with char/simm on BM cows and made $$ on the calves but that's a regional thing and I never chased color.
I truly love looking at Herefords but buried enough purebred polled Hereford heifers when I was a teenager to last a lifetime.

If you look at it from a consumer's current financial (purchasing power) point of view, can't it be said that lower cost (quality) cuts are in pretty high demand? I pay attention to what is in short supply at a grocer as well as what is in good stock and in my part of the world, the cheap cuts are flying out of the meat cases.

I did not vote as the odds of me ever getting back into cattle is somewhere between slim and none but I would be tempted to experiment with Wagyu bull with the listed cross cows.

Other than the few times I read 'a little' about them here, I know nothing of Braun or flecks.
Had good luck with char/simm on BM cows and made $$ on the calves but that's a regional thing and I never chased color.
I truly love looking at Herefords but buried enough purebred polled Hereford heifers when I was a teenager to last a lifetime.
Braun are a beef version of Brown Swiss. LIke with the dual-purpose Shorthorn..some breeders concentrated on breeding for milk production, while others concentrated on developing the for meat production. Now there are 2 varietis with 2 registries Shorthorn and Milking shorthorn. . When Simms first got to GA in the late 60;s they were red &white. Hereford colored red just had red goggles ahd/or brockled faces. and a lot bigger than the Herefords of the 60's and 70's. Then in the 80's, when people started turning Contienetal cattle black,people started calling the traditional red & white Simms Fleckveihs. That wagy u is an interesting cross I hadn't thought of. I think I will mention it to him. Thanks, greybeard.

If you breed to Wagyu, you gain marbling (whooptido), and lose size/muscling. But, maybe you can change course and get into the fad marketing.
Not saying you won't make money, but "I" couldn't charge more to a customer for a phony benefit. JMHO
No, wagyu wouldn't fit with what this man is doing. This man is a heart surgeon, not exactly broke. He grew up on a dairy, that toward the end turned into a beef cow-calf operation. He knows cattle..unlike some gentlemen farmers..he doesn;t have a farm manager. He runs the operation and directly instructs his employees/ Like most down here, he doesn't cojndition or wean calves, feed them out and stuff. he trailer weans steers at 6 mos. The sale barns he uses don't have the 18 wheeler load buyers, but most f the sale barn owners do conditioning at their place, where they cut, vaccinate etc. and get them eating. Then when they have truklod of similar size and kind, they will call a buyer to come get them. One carries to a feedlot in Oklahoma for himself and neighboring sale barn owners wo do this. He does wean and raise heifers, but they are mostly sold private treaty, like he is buying these redbranhgus x char and red angus xcharbray from Dan. I agree with you and the majority, his best bet would be red Simm. He should have some scale-mashing steers and some good replacement heifers.

You also answered for me something that I had wondered for a while. The yellow and white Char x Simm show heifers my brother and his friend has in the 70's, that my grand father bought them and turned them out with his Angus.He bought 6 in the 3 years the boys showed, Every one of them had black baldies. I now understand that the red & white simms used back then most likely did not have a dilute gene, So the cross with charolais just had one copy of the dilute gene. It was luck of the draw that he got black baldies every year. If we had owned 100 instead of six, we would likely have had 50 smokies and 44 more black baldies every year.

Latest posts