Opinions on minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
I'm used to just putting out a block and being done with it. However, are loose minerals any better? Also, I've seen a line of loose minerals that are supposed to be season specific, you change them throughout the year. Is there any exceptional value or are the mineral lick blocks just as good? ...Your opinions?

I don't like the blocks as there are just trace amounts of mineral in them. Loose is the best option for meeting cattle needs. Cargill has a season specific blend and is a good mineral. I use the Purina Wind and Rain now, but have used the Cargill in the past.

I like loose mineral. I dump it out on top of a plain salt block and that way they can choose what they need. You can learn alot about your grass and your cows by keeping loose mineral in front of your cows year round and seeing when they hit it hard and when they leave it alone and it might surprise you.

Look at a TM block. Usually lots of salt.

I put loose salt next to loose mineral. Calves are consuming more mineral than salt. Bred cows seem to consume more salt than mineral.

I'm feeding grass hay in a selenium deficient area. Grain only when I need to move them.

Loose mineral WITH loose salt is best. A cow cannot get enough salt and/or trace minerals if she licks 24/7. I don't think there's enough mineral in a trace mineral block to take care of one cow if she ate the whole thing in one day.

I agree with the others. I feed a loose mineral formulated for my area, I get it at the local co-op. During the spring-summer the formulation changes a bit. I live in an area with high concentrations of Fescue.

Katherine

Loose mineral is way to go. Squeeze your dollars in other areas. Will help with a bunch of problems. Essential for good herd health. I prefer to spend on mineral rather than excess veterinary calls.

Latest posts