Opinions on Hereford Champion of the World qualifiers

Help Support CattleToday:

How on earth do they decided who gets to compete!? A couple of those bulls don't deserve nuts, much less to be in the mix for a title like that! Having said that, the horned bull from Barber's sure is a looker!

These Three are probably My favorites... all appear to be long bodied and deep. I am new to this though. I thought it interesting to see all the different Herefords from all over the world.

I agree on the bull in the middle picture. I like him quite a bit. The first bull is just waaayyyy too sloppy in his front third for me and has a weird slope in his hip. It gives him a weak top line. I also suspect he is not nearly soft enough in his pasterns. The third bull shows a lot of the same traits, and is lacking power for a bull that has some age (considering how long those dewclaws are anyhow). I also would like more pigment on both one and three. Just my thoughts.

Can you post all the pictures for us? Lots of folks on here won't be able to look them up, and its an interesting group to judge.

Albany Oblivion (England)

BR Nitro Aventus 3116 ET (USA Horned)

Days Fleetwood K185 (Australia -Polled)

El Moro (Uruguay Horned)

Glendan Park Knockout K160 (Australia Horned)

Kaizer av Rindal (Norway)

Kaka Uruguay-Polled

LCC FBF Time Traveler 480

Monymusk Jock 140054 (New Zealand)

Normanton 1 Laertes (Scotland)

RT 028X Sensa (Mexico)

Solpoll 1 Lone Ranger (Northern Ireland)

There ya go! all 14 with their names above their photos :) thanks for the replies! I am looking forward to learning how to pick a good bull from a bad one.

There's obviously way more to it than a photo, but its a good chance to compare phenotype. As some have said with bulls, the first place to start when judging phenotype is nuts, butts, and guts. Add sound structure, and natural fleshing ability, the follow with eye appeal. There's lots of elements to consider for phenotype, just start with the parts you feel are most important.

In this group, I personally really like the BR Nitro bull and the Monymusk Jock bull. There are others I like, but I feel those two are the best package based on photos alone. I like the Time Traveler bull, but he may not be real world enough, even for me. Just my personal opinions.

Very little to recommend some of these. Several appear to be post legged. Everything from the UK lacks capacity. It's difficult to correctly judge a topline from a picture, but I think it's fair to say that one or two have too much sway in their backs. I also like to see a nicely hooded eye, which several of these lack. It's harder still to judge these animals against one another because of the obvious age differences. Some of these are fully mature and others not even 2.

Monymusk Jock 140054 is a nice long yearling. Out of everything here, he's the least objectionable for me. He could be cleaner fronted and I don't like the amount of fat visible on his back, but he's got good structure and lots of masculinity.

I'd pick Mr Mojito :hide: :lol2:

Rafter S":3hxpznsh said:
There are some I like more than others, but that calf from Costa Rica wouldn't even make a decent steer.

Rafter, he/she/it is a representative sample from the LGBT cattle producers and growers association. Mr Mojito "identifies" as a bull :lol2: :clap: :lol2:

Thanks for the replies! My avatar is Durango 44u whom I just AI'd all my girls too... So I am pretty excited about my next years calves :)

All just looks. Function of the bull and the offspring is more important. Function of females from them is highest priority. All are shaped by the environment or defeated by the environment. The decisions we make is how much are we willing to spend to affect the tiny part of the environment that we can manipulate. But always cull structural problems and poor convenience traits. Otherwise: only a snapshot of a point in time.

Ebenezer":bkck2uho said:
All just looks. Function of the bull and the offspring is more important. Function of females from them is highest priority. All are shaped by the environment or defeated by the environment. The decisions we make is how much are we willing to spend to affect the tiny part of the environment that we can manipulate. But always cull structural problems and poor convenience traits. Otherwise: only a snapshot of a point in time.

I find your observation of the environment that these cattle are in interesting. This is a photo of the Hereford Miss Champion of the world representing Northern Ireland she looks a lot like the bull... almost to me a continental look to them like charolais... So I was wondering if that comes from the environment and how well they do there.

Tirelugan 1 Lilly (Northern Ireland)

Duramaxgirl":1wd3qj8b said:
Ebenezer":1wd3qj8b said:

I find your observation of the environment that these cattle are in interesting. This is a photo of the Hereford Miss Champion of the world representing Northern Ireland she looks a lot like the bull... almost to me a continental look to them like charolais... So I was wondering if that comes from the environment and how well they do there.

Tirelugan 1 Lilly (Northern Ireland)
Unfortunately the Miss Champion looks as an outcross to a Continental breed as you indicate. Check http://www.traditionalferefords.org and you can see the difference.

top 3 culls to me would
Costa rica (definitely doesn't deserve nuts)
Northern Ireland
Scotland

England isn't great either, Jock (NZ), doing the best stance he can to look long doesn't cut it for me either.. Time Traveler is a fluffball I can't see squat about.

Nitro.. not crazy about, but not bad..

Picking 2, it would probably be between El Moro (Uruguay) and Days Fleetwood (Australia).. at least from what I see in the pictures

Latest posts