Opinions on a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
1997 Ford F250, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5 speed manual tranny, single cab, 2 wheel drive. It's just a basic truck. It has A/C but no bells or whistles. One owner, 174,000 miles, looks super nice, all original, never been molested. No dents, very minor paint scratches, interior looks like new. In fact, the truck looks like it probably did when it was a year old.
I've never owned a Ford vehicle. I have opportunity to buy this truck. I think the price may be high at $8,600, but not sure considering the condition. Tires are new. Clutch assembly was replaced less than a year ago. I know the owner and he has taken very good care of it.
What are the pros and cons to this model truck? What questions should I ask when I go to look?
This will not be a daily driver. My purpose is a truck to tow trailer with tractor or livestock occationally, and to outfit it with toolboxes for all my fencing/farm needs.

Price may be just a tad high, but that is the best engine ford ever made and it has low miles to boot. Only thing about it I don't like is the manual tranny. But you should jump on it.

3 things cancel that truck out for me ... PRICE... NOT A 4X4.... MANUAL TRANNY.... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:..OuachitaOuachita personally i cant use a truck for farm or work if its not a 4x4 you never know when you may get in a sticky situation. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm not a ford man, but my brother had that same truck in 4wd. It was a tank. Ran it forever never laid a wrench on it. I like manual if that is if you are going to pull a trailer with it. I wouldn't be afraid of it at that price. It will be a canoe however---------only seats three people, very uncomfortably.

hooknline":2r5h4qlw said:
Price may be just a tad high, but that is the best engine ford ever made and it has low miles to boot. Only thing about it I don't like is the manual tranny. But you should jump on it.
Hook, just wondering what you call high and low milage?

I only have one 2wd truck and thats used in my business its a ford ranger and is only used to ride around and give estimates. It has never left a paved road nor will it. everything else I have for the business is 4x4 including my bucket truck and chip truck.

Ouachita":2ze7g1rj said:
1997 Ford F250, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5 speed manual tranny, single cab, 2 wheel drive. It's just a basic truck. It has A/C but no bells or whistles. One owner, 174,000 miles, looks super nice, all original, never been molested. No dents, very minor paint scratches, interior looks like new. In fact, the truck looks like it probably did when it was a year old.
I've never owned a Ford vehicle. I have opportunity to buy this truck. I think the price may be high at $8,600, but not sure considering the condition. Tires are new. Clutch assembly was replaced less than a year ago. I know the owner and he has taken very good care of it.
What are the pros and cons to this model truck? What questions should I ask when I go to look?
This will not be a daily driver. My purpose is a truck to tow trailer with tractor or livestock occationally, and to outfit it with toolboxes for all my fencing/farm needs.
Hmmmm, odd thing to say.

Hmmm. My nephews have this vintage Ford 4X4, with the manual tranny. But they are young, and they mess with it them all the time.

Ford's a good truck, but mid 2000's Dodge has the better diesel. Everyone in my house owns a Ford except me, and I have the Dodge. Also, everyone in my house has manual trannies for trucks. My 06 Dodge is not my daily driver. But I have no hesitation about driving/pulling just about anywhere with anything.

Check the oil pan where the dipstick enters the pan - bad place for leaks.
Pull the rubber intake hose off the turbo and visually check the fins on the turbo. Need to be clean and even, no dings or chips.
Check the radiator support cradle from under the front and make sure its solid and not rusted out in the lower corners.
Check for moisture in the bottom of the valley of the motor. Moisture likely indicates a fuel leak - common problem.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than make sure all gauges, switches and lights work. Also I hate the split front axles in the 3/4 tons.

These trucks aren't worth as much as people think anymore - unless the mileage is under 100,000. Remember that this vintage of truck is between 19 and 17 years old. You start spending big bucks on these trucks and realize for not much more money, you could have a much newer truck for not much extra cash.

These trucks do run for a long time, but they do need parts - which are not cheap.

Bottom line: I like the manual tranny - much better than the auto-tranny that came with these trucks - particularly if your towing. Hate the 2WD - if you have mud, you need 4WD. Hate the price. Value of these trucks in 2WD is zilch. You should be able to buy for 6k and even that may be too much.

You should get another 60,000 to 100,000 miles out of it no problem. I have 282k on mine and repair bills are taking their toll on me. I think an upgrade is due this summer/fall. Alot of these trucks are sold with 230 to 250k miles. That being said, I see more of these trucks on the road than other diesels of the same vintage.

Also, my next truck, will likely be a 4WD 3/4 ton gas job. As long as they have the frame and brakes to handle a loaded trailer, I have no problem leaving the diesel motors for gas.

Ryder":2smdplh8 said:
hooknline":2smdplh8 said:
For that engine and year it's relatively low mileage. That engine will go 400-500 k miles easy if maintained right.

Aaron":324zafw3 said:
repair bills are taking their toll on me.

I got the 6.0, better known as the 6 Uh Oh. What a mistake that was. If I get top dollar out of that class action lawsuit, I am still deep in the hole on repair bills. It is parked and I am done with Ford. It is a one ton 4WD and got decent fuel mileage. I towed 385 miles with it in 2012.

backhoeboogie":24wf161h said:
Aaron":24wf161h said:
repair bills are taking their toll on me.

I got the 6.0, better known as the 6 Uh Oh. What a mistake that was. If I get top dollar out of that class action lawsuit, I am still deep in the hole on repair bills. It is parked and I am done with Ford. It is a one ton 4WD and got decent fuel mileage. I towed 385 miles with it in 2012.
My 6.0 will turn over 250k this week. Probably today. But its been a good truck for me.

I have a 1997 F 250 4wd extended cab. I bought it with a 160k three years ago and gave 6500 for it. I like the body style the motor and thought it was worth the money, with the one you're looking at being 2wd and single cab, I don't think it would be worth the money.

Flat Bottom I have an 02 2wd 7.3, this is my second 7.3 good motor's.
I didn't buy the truck to run all over the pasture I got tractor's for that.
I bought it to pull a 26 foot float loaded with hay and to haul cattle to the barn.
Remember this a 4WD is made to get you 75 feet past where you should have went in the first place.
That is a heavy truck no matter if 2 or 4wd they will both get stuck quicker than a cat can lick his ass.
Son has the 4wd has been stuck a lot of times from going where it shouldn't in the first place.
It is not a Willis jeep.

hooknline":2qq8fzms said:
Ryder":2qq8fzms said:
hooknline":2qq8fzms said:
For that engine and year it's relatively low mileage. That engine will go 400-500 k miles easy if maintained right.
Thnx.

FarmGirl10":3urciqxt said:
Ouachita":3urciqxt said:
Hmmmm, odd thing to say.

It may seem odd or out of context for your generation, but it was (and still is) a commonly used term to describe something that has not been altered from an original configuration. In this case, it has never had any type "computer power chip", nobody has jacked with the suspension, tire size, or hung any fuzzy dice from the mirror, or mounted a brass spittoon on the dash. Does this still seem an odd thing to say? :tiphat:

Aaron":1jqk04cn said:
Check the oil pan where the dipstick enters the pan - bad place for leaks.
Pull the rubber intake hose off the turbo and visually check the fins on the turbo. Need to be clean and even, no dings or chips.
Check the radiator support cradle from under the front and make sure its solid and not rusted out in the lower corners.
Check for moisture in the bottom of the valley of the motor. Moisture likely indicates a fuel leak - common problem.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than make sure all gauges, switches and lights work. Also I hate the split front axles in the 3/4 tons.

These trucks aren't worth as much as people think anymore - unless the mileage is under 100,000. Remember that this vintage of truck is between 19 and 17 years old. You start spending big bucks on these trucks and realize for not much more money, you could have a much newer truck for not much extra cash.

These trucks do run for a long time, but they do need parts - which are not cheap.

Bottom line: I like the manual tranny - much better than the auto-tranny that came with these trucks - particularly if your towing. Hate the 2WD - if you have mud, you need 4WD. Hate the price. Value of these trucks in 2WD is zilch. You should be able to buy for 6k and even that may be too much.

You should get another 60,000 to 100,000 miles out of it no problem. I have 282k on mine and repair bills are taking their toll on me. I think an upgrade is due this summer/fall. Alot of these trucks are sold with 230 to 250k miles. That being said, I see more of these trucks on the road than other diesels of the same vintage.

Also, my next truck, will likely be a 4WD 3/4 ton gas job. As long as they have the frame and brakes to handle a loaded trailer, I have no problem leaving the diesel motors for gas.

Thanks for the tips and advice Aaron

Ouachita":2jpj80q8 said:
FarmGirl10":2jpj80q8 said:
Ouachita":2jpj80q8 said:
Hmmmm, odd thing to say.

It may seem odd or out of context for your generation, but it was (and still is) a commonly used term to describe something that has not been altered from an original configuration. In this case, it has never had any type "computer power chip", nobody has jacked with the suspension, tire size, or hung any fuzzy dice from the mirror, or mounted a brass spittoon on the dash. Does this still seem an odd thing to say? :tiphat:
not from arkansas :p

Latest posts