Open Hunting Season

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorn314

Reaction score
I'm not a hunter but I think they ought to have some sort of stipulation for an open season for white-tail dear.On my way back from town grocery shopping tonight,2 jumped out in front of me.One smacked into the rear passenger door of my car and put a small dent in it.Three years ago,I hit 2 does within 2 weeks doing about $1500.00 damage to my truck.I hate this time of year,because of the cooler weather and the deer moving around a lot more.Just interested in other people's opinion on this subject about an open season of some sort because their are to many does out there.

Several years ago Texas tlked about passing a "road kill" law but nothing ever came of it that I've heard about.

The state of Utah has crews that work the heavily deer populated stretches of the highway and take the carcusses to be processed and distributed to nursing homes and such places. That makes a lot more sense to me.

I've been lucky but last fall I almost hit a 900 lb. 50 point buck on a stretch of 281 about 50 miles south of San Antonio. If you don't believe that you should have been riding with me when he was about three feet off my front bumper, :lol: Z

MillIron
I'm not going to believe it but I know the feeling.
Thank God tomorrow is opening day.

longhorn314":175nci67 said:
I'm not a hunter but I think they ought to have some sort of stipulation for an open season for white-tail dear.On my way back from town grocery shopping tonight,2 jumped out in front of me.One smacked into the rear passenger door of my car and put a small dent in it.Three years ago,I hit 2 does within 2 weeks doing about $1500.00 damage to my truck.I hate this time of year,because of the cooler weather and the deer moving around a lot more.Just interested in other people's opinion on this subject about an open season of some sort because their are to many does out there.

We're allowed 3 Doe a day here in Tennessee.Multiply that times the 40 days of Gun season, and that'll show you how bad they want em' thinned out.

Dang Crowder sounds like i need to come to Ten and do a little hunting.Our season for muzzle loader is a week long our gun season is only 3 week,s long only allowed two bucks and 4 doe,s.

rattler

rattler":3mjt6jk0 said:
Dang Crowder sounds like i need to come to Ten and do a little hunting.Our season for muzzle loader is a week long our gun season is only 3 week,s long only allowed two bucks and 4 doe,s.

rattler

Between the insurance companies paying out millions of dollars in Deer vs. car claims, our ratio of Bucks to Doe are way off. There's still that ol' belief that you should not kill a Doe. Frankly, I cant taste the difference. A day without seeing Deer is a rarity.

Around here (Alabama) the gun season always opens the Saturday b4 Thanksgiving and runs until the end of January. On private lands, that means you have around 75 days of hunting where you can take a doe and buck per day.

As I said before today is opening day but only for bow hunting. We have a split season for shotgun 3 days the weekend before Thanksgiving and 4 days the weekend after. We also have alate season shotgun in Jan but it doen't get alot of attention. There is also a youth hunt for shotgun in some counties and a muzzle loader season. The hunters take alot of deer but just haven't kept up with production (to many rack hunters).

I have to say you are right on crowder our buck to doe ratio around here is way off to.I was talking to a freind a few days ago we figure it is proubly 15 to 1 that aint good.I like to kill big bucks as good as the next guy but i also love to eat deer too and i to cant tell no difference in taste.Our gun season open,s monday before thanksgiving and runs three weeks and it seems like we dont ever hit the rut seems to always a little early.

rattler

There are so derned many places around here that are high fenced that the landowners are allowed to cull hunt to get rid of the "inferior" bucks. The man who owns the ranch I managed at Campbellton took a 3 point last year that dressed out at close to 300#. Good eating to. I know. I got a back strap and a couple of roasts off of him.

I haven't heard anything about doe over population around here but there seem to be enough hunters who know you can't eat the horns to handle it. Mostly the ranchers take does and save the good bucks for their hunters. Some of the guys pay $1000 a gun plus X$ for certain bucks. I think it was the 74 ranch that got $7500 for a 14 point big time B&C buck two years ago.There was a 30something point nontypical taken in McMullan county about the same time. I never heard what that one cost but I bet I could of payed my feed bill for a couple of years and gotten my Vet's son thru another semester at A&M.Z

We used to have a lot more deer then we do now. It may be more balanced and more in keeping with what the habitat will support, but I miss seeing a dozen deer a day. Now it's a deer every dozen days. There has been active doe shooting for the past few years and a blue tongue epedemic so that probably all had a cunulative affect.

dun

dun i have heard of blue toung but knowbody can tell me much about it. What is BT and how dose it affect the deer?

rattler

Dun, same down here. We used to have alot of deer and would see deer every day. Now, it might be a week or 2 in between sightings. The Missouri Department of Conservation listed my county as a county with unlimited doe hunting. In other words, you can kill all the does you can buy tags for. I dont know where they get the info that there are alot of deer here. I used to see 25-35 deer on opening day of deer season, now it is 5-10 and alot of people dont see any deer on a day of hunting. The does have been way over harvested, there is plenty of food and cover to support a much larger deer herd. They need to make some adjustments for areas like mine where deer are more scarce

rattler":2k2ljf06 said:
dun i have heard of blue toung but knowbody can tell me much about it. What is BT and how dose it affect the deer?

rattler

It's a virus and it kills them.

dun

Here, you can only buy an either sex tag for whitetails.... and were being run over by the sons of a guns!!! :mad: With my bow I can get a doe tag too, so we're doing that.... still havent shot any though!

Latest posts