Open Carry in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
Texas is seemingly on the verge of passing open carry. What are your thoughts on open or concealed carry?

I'm not up on the lingo, but if open carry is walking around with a shotgun, or wearing a pistol on your hip, I thought you could do that.

I don't open carry myself either. But I was in Manchester Kentucky and there was quite a few folks toting iron. I was a little nervous because the guy I was with didn't have my back. And I don't like anyone behind me with a gun.

highgrit":3t2e618g said:
I don't open carry myself either. But I was in Manchester Kentucky and there was quite a few folks toting iron. I was a little nervous because the guy I was with didn't have my back. And I don't like anyone behind me with a gun.
Highgrit , I had your back yesterday whether you knew it or not. If them pet deer had of tried any thing I'd have took them out.

I don't open carry but I like having the option if I want to. Open carry of guns does not make me nervous. In reality concealed carry should be more nerve racking because you cant tell who has one and who doesn't. That being said CC doesn't make me nervous either.

In Georgia we have a carry license and you can carry a weapon in certain places but not all. You can open carry or conceal. Most people, like myself, choose to carry concealed for two main reasons. Firstly, we don't want to be the first person shot if there is a crime being committed and secondly, we feel there is no reason to make others nervous. I view it the same as I do homosexuality. I understand its your right to be gay but it offends me when you flaunt it. The thing many don't consider is that if YOU commit a crime while YOU are carrying then you just screwed up because it is a felony to create a crime while carrying a weapon so a misdemeanor charge can be trumped to a felony if the DA so chooses.

That said, once the newness runs its course and the media finds something else to run with it will be no big deal.

Jogeephus":hjysje74 said:
In Georgia we have a carry license and you can carry a weapon in certain places but not all. You can open carry or conceal. Most people, like myself, choose to carry concealed for two main reasons. Firstly, we don't want to be the first person shot if there is a crime being committed and secondly, we feel there is no reason to make others nervous. I view it the same as I do homosexuality. I understand its your right to be gay but it offends me when you flaunt it. The thing many don't consider is that if YOU commit a crime while YOU are carrying then you just screwed up because it is a felony to create a crime while carrying a weapon so a misdemeanor charge can be trumped to a felony if the DA so chooses.

That said, once the newness runs its course and the media finds something else to run with it will be no big deal.
Ditto Joe.

M-5 you must have eyes in the back of your head then. We were both setting on the same side of the table if I remember correctly. Shooting deer off the porch, is like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't know if you caught me asking my brother if he had my back? Because sometimes he doesn't carry, which makes no sense at all to me. I'm very paranoid when I'm out of my environment.

Yes but if you noticed I set facing the door. When we left yesterday my wife noticed I had 3 guns in the door pocket and asked if she needed hers. Ain't no way in HeII I walk around Albany without something.

Virginia has open carry. I conceal carry every day every where I go. Many of the people I deal with know that and think nothing of it. But when I see someone in Wal Mart or somewhere open carrying I do notice and wonder. I respect their right to do it and will support it till the end but I still notice and it makes me feel bad that I do notice. It seems here the ones open carrying are the radicals that I might watch anyway so I guess thats why I wonder. Nobody thinks anything wrong with us old guys carrying a S&W bodyguard in our back pocket.

kenny thomas":17dba0q3 said:
Virginia has open carry. I conceal carry every day every where I go. Many of the people I deal with know that and think nothing of it. But when I see someone in Wal Mart or somewhere open carrying I do notice and wonder. I respect their right to do it and will support it till the end but I still notice and it makes me feel bad that I do notice. It seems here the ones open carrying are the radicals that I might watch anyway so I guess thats why I wonder. Nobody thinks anything wrong with us old guys carrying a S&W bodyguard in our back pocket.

I feel the same way.

I eat lunch with a friend fairly regular. One day a man approached our table and asked him if he was law enforcement and pointed at his pistol strapped to his belt. Maybe its a poor of me but I had never noticed he always carried a pistol on his belt. Just never caught my eye or if it did I never paid it any mind till this guy questioned him. His answer was beautiful though. He told him no he wasn't LE and he carried I because it was his second amendment right. The guy walked on and I got a good laugh out of it.

As others have said I conceal carry every day wouldn't even think of open walking through wally world or the like.

The problem I see here is this is the type stuff that draws the nut. I don't like giving the liberal media propaganda
material. Now I don't see much reaction to it in a place like here but wonder if this is going to backfire
and bite us in the butt because of some nut in the Galleria in Houston.
Walk down the road with a Ruger American in 223 nobody thinks anything about it do so with an AR you are going to
get a lot of attention. Both guns fire the same ammo and are just as deadly.
There has been an indoctrination campaign by the media against one and it has worked pretty well IMO.
It is kinda like an AR or a Glock the fruitcakes are drawn to the weapon, lot of that
has to do with Hollywood IMO.
Now if I read the proposal right you still have to get and pass a Concealed Handgun background check
and have the license. Then you have the option.

Caustic Burno":3r58pyy9 said:
As others have said I conceal carry every day wouldn't even think of open walking through wally world or the like.

The problem I see here is this is the type stuff that draws the nut. I don't like giving the liberal media propaganda
material. Now I don't see much reaction to it in a place like here but wonder if this is going to backfire
Walk down the road with a Ruger American in 223 nobody thinks anything about it do so with an AR you are going to
There has been an indoctrination campaign by the media against one and it has worked pretty well IMO.
It is kinda like an AR or a Glock the fruitcakes are drawn to the weapon, lot of that
Now if I read the proposal right you still have to get and pass a Concealed Handgun background check

How much is the fine and how serious is the crime for not having the license.

Jogeephus":1p07vhlq said:
kenny thomas":1p07vhlq said:

I feel the same way.

Ditto.. I hate going into Walmart always seems as though a young guy about 21-25 had someone text me this supposedly from a local mall I thought it was the stupidest S... I ever saw

FullSizeRender_2_zps4984f6fe.jpg

Caustic Burno":vj52a3cf said:

As I understand it you still have to have a concealed carry permit in order to open carry a pistol so some of those nuts already exist. You just can't see it "YET". But for that very reason I'm totally against it. And especially the part about open carry on college campus'.

skyhightree1":3ew2omxb said:
Jogeephus":3ew2omxb said:
kenny thomas":3ew2omxb said:

I feel the same way.

Ditto.. I hate going into Walmart always seems as though a young guy about 21-25 had someone text me this supposedly from a local mall I thought it was the stupidest S... I ever saw

FullSizeRender_2_zps4984f6fe.jpg

Just like most others, it's your right to carry and open carry if it's legal. But why open carry? You are looking or just drawing extra attention to yourself. That dumb azz kid is begging to get shot by a gunman, trigger happy security guard or the cops. At best he'll be looking down about a dozen gun barrels with some very nervous cops and shaking hands holding them one day.

I'm wondering if law enforcement will be able to randomly stop people who are open carrying to see if they are licensed?

Latest posts