Oooooh, I HATE bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
:mad: There is simply nothing good about the miserable suckers. If it isn't our bulls, it IS the neighbours, and if they are all getting along, count on another to wander in, just to cause problems. And ours have been causing more than enough on their own.

Start off with the one we canned a few weeks ago. Then the other jerks spent time destroying the fence at our other pasture. First, they took out all the gates, then, with BOTH gates at either end of the cross fence open, they destroyed a good portion of it. I think one went up one side and another up the other and they just did it to torture us. You'd never know that they spent the winter together.

Then the neighbour calls to tell us that OUR Hereford is in his corral (yes he chased him in) and what should he do with him. Regardless of the fact, that it would have been just as easy to have chased him back to our side of the fence. Then he informed us that our bull just didn't respect a fence (he never got out again)

And then, 2 weeks ago, we get a call that our cattle are out on the road, and that the bulls did it. So we rush up to the pasture (2 hours away) and find not 1, but 2 (yes indeed they do it well) spots where the fence is completely destroyed. Fortunately no cows were out, and they never made it to the #1 highway (biggest highway in the province). We hauled horses up this time, with the intention of bringing the 2 older bulls home, so hopefully the fence destroying binge is halted. And, what do we find in our pasture, someone else's bull :? :devil2: , and he is NOT the neighbour's bull. But, we do take our 2 older bulls home. Turns out, that no-one has any idea where this bull came from. He has no brands. All they know, is that at one time he was wandering around with a Red bull, and 5-6 char heifers. No-one has any idea whose animals these are. We never did see the other bull or the heifers, but still no-one knows where this guy came from. I have phoned radio stations, posted ads on the internet, but nobody seems to be looking for him.

And to top it all off, TODAY, we went up to finish pulling bulls, by bringing the 2 yearlings we left home. Hoping that the strange bull decided to head off and go back wherever he came from. NOT (I need a smiley with a gun here) instead, what do we find, but 3 pair, 1 yearling, 1 of our bulls, and the strange bull in the neighbours. Not a good sign, when it comes to fence up keep. We get the pairs, yearling and our bull back. After 2 tries, and some more wrecked fence. Then proceed to fix wires and put in posts for the morning. What we planned to take us about 2 hours took about 6. Then we got the last of our bulls in, and he was pretty darn co-operative. I expect it isn't the last we have seen of mr troublemaker. If he doesn't jump back in, the neighbours will probably put him back. Regardless that he isn't ours. On the plus side (if there is one) he isn't a bad looking bull.

Well, hopefully that is the end of our bull troubles. The guys at home here have no-one to interact with, their pasture is rather isolated, and all we have left to pick up, for bulls, is the 2 in the Community Pasture. Those 2 will be coming home in the next couple of weeks.

I like mine. They come in a straw. If they ever gave me any trouble I would just stick them back in the nitrogen. :nod:

novatech":3ih4747k said:
I like mine. They come in a straw. If they ever gave me any trouble I would just stick them back in the nitrogen. :nod:

So you discipline them by threatening them with cryogenic freezing if they don't co-operate? ;-)

KNERSIE":19cu1hvz said:
novatech":19cu1hvz said:

So you discipline them by threatening them with cryogenic freezing if they don't co-operate? ;-)
Well spanking them didn't work. :cry:

grannysoo":1n8k7txu said:
Bulls can and will tear up everything. (Except my hotwire fence) :lol2:

Well, some of the fence that was destroyed had electric around it. Didn't stop these jerks. Makes it interesting when you are fixing the fence though :shock: ;-)

I would use AI if I could, but with the cattle being 2 hours from home we just can't use that option.

grannysoo":25fz919q said:
Bulls can and will tear up everything. (Except my hotwire fence) :lol2:
Fences, electric, barbed, hog wire....whatever, only keep cattle in if the cattle want to stay in.

Bulls can be a real PIA. Had problems with the bull on neighbor place and mine wanting to fight over the cows and I guess to see which one was the toughest. A fence just dosn't stop two tons of bull if they are determined. We put up a high tensil electric and they respected that. This year he has 50 head of steers and there has only been one time they challenged the fence. No problem so far.
Fred

Heard it said"the only way to keep cattle from going through a fence, is not to have any".
No matter what kind of fence or how good it is at some point of time the cows will show you they are smater than you.

Cal

We have not had problems with bulls staying in the fence. In fact, they have been the easiest ones for us. The worst offenders are the calves. They will go through hot wire or barbed wire.