Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Like all those people who buy flip blade Kershaws and just stop carrying them when they get dull.
Or the ones
Like all those people who buy flip blade Kershaws and just stop carrying them when they get dull.
Or they have some sort of rig that can only be described as a "contraption" that doesn't work to sharpen their knife.

I keep my knife on my belt cause it's easy to get to but the ariat work jeans I buy have a knife pocket. It actually works really good. If I'm hunting with another bird bag over my waist or some thing like that and I don't want it hanging up on my knife I'll use that pocket.

I thought it was gimmicky at first but now I'm sold on it.

Most kids I knew carried a pocket knife in the 70's.
Some kids even carried a knife on their belt in school....kids weren't idiots then.

I was in junior high and high school in the 70's, and the school rules were no knives in school. However, it wasn't unusual for a teacher to need a knife for something and ask the class if someone had one. He or she would generally have their choice from a dozen or so (including mine).

It was junior year in high school early 70's. All of us deer hunted before and after school, and kept our guns in the truck in the parking lot. Lunch, breaks, etc, we'd go out to the parking lot and admire each other's guns...even made some trades. No big deal back then. One morning the principal came over the loudspeaker " Attention all you deer hunter. We have had 3 vehicles broken into the last 2 weeks. If you have a gun in your vehicle, go right now and get it, and take it to your homeroom and put it in the coat closet. Do this every morning from now on. If I catch a gun in a vehicle, it will be automatic suspension." Could you just imagine that happening today?!!

I use a serrated blade to cut the twine off of round bales. We keep the knife in the tractor we use to feed the bales with.

" Attention all you deer hunter. We have had 3 vehicles broken into the last 2 weeks. If you have a gun in your vehicle, go right now and get it, and take it to your homeroom and put it in the coat closet. Do this every morning from now on. If I catch a gun in a vehicle, it will be automatic suspension."
Sad that someone would steal a rifle back then when things were supposed to be better, but one of the things I remember as a kid, as we got out to go in a cafe, was my dad taking his rifle down out of the rack and covering it up in the passenger side with a jacket and telling me "People that wouldn't steal anything else will steal a gun".

Sad that someone would steal a rifle back then when things were supposed to be better, but one of the things I remember as a kid, as we got out to go in a cafe, was my dad taking his rifle down out of the rack and covering it up in the passenger side with a jacket and telling me "People that wouldn't steal anything else will steal a gun".

There have always been thieves.

". . . and people who wouldn't lie about anything else will lie when they're trying to sell you a horse."

I graduated high school in 1970. Almost all boys carried a knife and a bunch of pickups ( mine included) had guns in the rack. There was quite often a fight over something ( usually girls) but, it was always fists, or shoving or, wrestling. Never were any knives or guns involved. Better days I think.

I graduated high school in 1970. Almost all boys carried a knife and a bunch of pickups ( mine included) had guns in the rack. There was quite often a fight over something ( usually girls) but, it was always fists, or shoving or, wrestling. Never were any knives or guns involved. Better days I think.

I got in a few fights in school too, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to pull out my pocket knife.

It was junior year in high school early 70's. All of us deer hunted before and after school, and kept our guns in the truck in the parking lot. Lunch, breaks, etc, we'd go out to the parking lot and admire each other's guns...even made some trades. No big deal back then. One morning the principal came over the loudspeaker " Attention all you deer hunter. We have had 3 vehicles broken into the last 2 weeks. If you have a gun in your vehicle, go right now and get it, and take it to your homeroom and put it in the coat closet. Do this every morning from now on. If I catch a gun in a vehicle, it will be automatic suspension." Could you just imagine that happening today?!!
Nope! And yet, all the new rules are trying to fix stupid. Doesn't work. A deer hunter was just shot in the back by his dog, one county over from me, when he left his rifle in the back seat.
https://www.kwch.com/2023/01/23/man-fatally-wounded-apparent-hunting-accident-sumner-county/

Latest posts