Reaction score
Here is one of our SAV International 2020 calves at 211 days

BH International 973

link to AAA below

http://bit.ly/2WaH9Ur

[image]234[/image]

and a Youtube video

http://bit.ly/2Fog0HS

There was a another thread about whether to SAV or not to SAV? I think this may clear the air a bit.

Redgully said:
Nice, good feet too. Dams udder wasn't great but functional, at least not hanging around her ankles.
[/quote

Thanks,

I think International brought a lot to the table as far as the feet.

I'm constantly trying to improve udder quality, it's a work in progress.

I feel like momma and calf look decent considering this was one of the worst winters Kentucky has seen in recorded history. Record rainfall, and insane amounts of mud.

He would have looked better, as well as the dam if winter had been mild.

************* said:
I feel like momma and calf look decent considering this was one of the worst winters Kentucky has seen in recorded history. Record rainfall, and insane amounts of mud.

He would have looked better, as well as the dam if winter had been mild.

He's a darn fine calf, I'd pull him now but that's just me.

sim.-ang.king said:
************* said:
Coosh71 said:
Nice. Have you weighed him?

Not yet.

The dam is about 1750 pounds for perspective.

Better get him weighed for an accurate 205 to report.

You can weigh until 280 days with Angus and they will calculate the adjusted 205.

I've talked with them about this, and it appears several operations wean them right near the 280 mark.

What you can do and what you should do are two different things.
After 6 months of age the amount of weight gain the calf is getting from the cow is minimal compared to what they are getting from feed, and forage intake. Which in turns inflates ADG on cow, and lowers the true accuracy of Adj.WWs. Yes, they adjust for feed supplement, but it's a broad adjustment that doesn't account for the calf getting fed 12 pounds of feed per day. Be the same as weaning a calf at 4 months, feeding him for 2 and then weighing him for 205. Kind of screws with the legitimacy of the weights.
A lot of operations do it, and a lot of them also like to put calves on nurse cows, and creep feed from the start, but that doesn't make it legit.

sim.-ang.king said:
What you can do and what you should do are two different things.
After 6 months of age the amount of weight gain the calf is getting from the cow is minimal compared to what they are getting from feed, and forage intake. Which in turns inflates ADG on cow, and lowers the true accuracy of Adj.WWs. Yes, they adjust for feed supplement, but it's a broad adjustment that doesn't account for the calf getting fed 12 pounds of feed per day. Be the same as weaning a calf at 4 months, feeding him for 2 and then weighing him for 205. Kind of screws with the legitimacy of the weights.
A lot of operations do it, and a lot of them also like to put calves on nurse cows, and creep feed from the start, but that doesn't make it legit.

I understand what you are saying, but I have tried both ways, pulling the calf off really early versus letting them stay on and nurse. The difference is definitely noticeable.

There is a certain operation that has some really heavy weaning weights, and from what I have been told they wean right at 280 days. I won't mention names because some will be really good at guessing.

The difference you're seeing is because the calf is getting feed, forage, and milk, without the stress of weaning. It's not a very good indicator of how effective a cow is at feeding her calf, and just inflates WW. Most of the gains are coming from the feed, and forage.
Why not wean at 6 months? That is not early, and it will get a more accurate WW.

A lot of operations do it, and that's why I ignore a lot of what those operation's reports.

************* said:
Redgully said:
Nice, good feet too. Dams udder wasn't great but functional, at least not hanging around her ankles.

Thanks,

You really need some of my cattle genes
Momma at 17

daughter with a beauty steer (regretted nutting him, kept a full brother)

I wish they all had udders like this

sim.-ang.king said:
The difference you're seeing is because the calf is getting feed, forage, and milk, without the stress of weaning. It's not a very good indicator of how effective a cow is at feeding her calf, and just inflates WW. Most of the gains are coming from the feed, and forage.
Why not wean at 6 months? That is not early, and it will get a more accurate WW.

A lot of operations do it, and that's why I ignore a lot of what those operation's reports.

As I have said before, I'm preparing a group to send out to Midland when I can get them in. If they have no merit, they will not make the cut and fall on their faces, and I WILL say "I fell on my face, back to the drawing board" Only time will tell if what we are producing are powder puffs or turbo diesels. So far it's been the latter.

What I am doing falls into the fetal programming area and epigenetics. I've read Ph.D. research papers as well as spoken to a guy that has run between 700-1000 head of commercial cattle for close to 30 years, non Angus at that, and has shipped tractor trailer loads of steers to Missouri and scored prime on a rather large percentage of them. He's walked the talk.

He told me a while back, "make sure your animals never suffer a bad day, give them EVERYTHING they need to perform, and you will be surprised by the results". This guy, who has never run registered herd, was dead right!

I'm not disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing, because what you are saying makes sense for many people. We weaned off calves for many years at 205-210, no questions asked, they did fine after that too, but with that said, the plan we are on now is producing an even better animal. Once they are weaned, they keep on trucking, and looking good right till the day they leave the farm. They are ready for heavy service, and they hold up very well, from feedback, and what I have seen with my own two eyes.

Not every bull holds up well after they leave the seedstock producer. That's a fact. I think its due to the first 12 months of their development. It's crucial they are cared for well. genes can only take them so far. If George Clooney's kids were raised on a steady diet of Funyuns and Mountain Dew, no amount of genes will help them later in life.

Last night I spoke with a rather successful seedstock producer here in Kentucky. They had lost around 10 calves this winter. Our regional Angus rep, Alex Tolbert was talking on the Angus Report how the losses had been high and birthweights very low, not to mention weaning weights. I attribute all of this to nutrition. Yes, weather played a big role, but how can it be completely weather related when we have not lost a calf, most of our calves born were over 85 pounds, and we are lined up for some of the best weaning weights that we have ever had. It had to be nutrition.

You see the photos of our animals coming out of what was probably one of the worst winters ever in Kentucky from a precipitation standpoint. They weren't suffering, but I can assure you that even if every one in there had been from the finest Angus operations in the country and deprived of what they needed, they would have looked horrible with what we dealt with.

I wean them as late as possible and feed the mommas as well as I can to make sure they hit their full genetic potential, and people buying bulls from me recognize that when the bulls perform well for them.

Nesikep said:
************* said:
Redgully said:

Thanks,

You really need some of my cattle genes
Momma at 17

daughter with a beauty steer (regretted nutting him, kept a full brother)

I wish they all had udders like this

Very nice! Especially the 17 year old cow. No doubt that you take care of them well.

I think people are far too trigger happy to get rid of older cows.

We will give our first round of shots mid April then booster and wean in May. Our calves for the most part are October a few came in late sept and a few early Nov. our calving season for heifers was 44 days and cows 56 days so not a wide gap with either group. Anything weaned is adjusted to 205 days so as long as none are less or more than 205 days is my goal.

Gizmom

Latest posts