Only 64 days left till he's weaned.

Help Support CattleToday:

Everything I had that was going to be sold last year was weaned off for 60 days and down the road by 280.

I wean right around 205 average usually.. By getting the cows off momma it REALLLYY stretches my fall/winter grazing
I heard somewhere around here once that "A cow and nursing calf eat as much as 3", and looking at how long pastures last after weaning, I'd have to agree...
I'm sure glad I didn't calf out in Feb this year.. March works good for me.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:
************* said:
Not yet.

The dam is about 1750 pounds for perspective.

Get your scale calibrated, that or you're standing on the scale, she ain't 1750

Tru Test scales, they are working fine.

She's bigger than you think, I have no reason to tell you otherwise.

It's exhausting having to take photos and video to prove people wrong. She's not under 1700. I assure you of that.

I've been told my cattle are too fat, now I'm being told they are too skinny. What gives?
Maybe you are hard to believe or understand? :???:

************* said:
CreekAngus said:
************* said:
Not yet.

It's exhausting having to take photos and video to prove people wrong. She's not under 1700. I assure you of that.

I've been told my cattle are too fat, now I'm being told they are too skinny. What gives?

She appears to be moderate framed and lacking capacity, could just be the angle of the video. And she should be thin if she's milking off for that big guy.

Ebenezer said:
************* said:
CreekAngus said:

Maybe you are hard to believe or understand? :???:

Maybe it's best I let the videos and epds do the talking.

yes angus breeders have become professional at figuring ways to scam the system.....but they have been working on it for nearly thirty years...

i recall when the target for a 205 day weight was something like 205 days.... and there were creeped and non creeped..

then had a breeder ask me how much feed you could give them before you had to call them creep fed...I told him that was an answer he would have to get from his conscious...not from me...

pdfangus said:
yes angus breeders have become professional at figuring ways to scam the system.....but they have been working on it for nearly thirty years...

i recall when the target for a 205 day weight was something like 205 days.... and there were creeped and non creeped..

then had a breeder ask me how much feed you could give them before you had to call them creep fed...I told him that was an answer he would have to get from his conscious...not from me...

"To thine own self be true"

If you are producing crap, but telling yourself and your clients it's fantastic, that's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Thank goodness for DNA testing, it's helped to cull out the "trust me, it's a good one" crowd.

76 Bar said:
If she's done her job the calf should weigh ~ 875 lbs ~ at 205 days. Presume he's destined to be steered based on his dam's exceptionally poor teat/udder.

I should probably slaughter em both, and buy some VERY high dollar embryos from you, and perhaps breed them to one of your sires?

That cow is the result of one of the top Angus operations in the state and SydGen, so I guess you are making a clear statement about where they fall in the pecking order.

While she is no $200k donor, she's not the crap you imply.

I know for a fact International is a good bull, he's proven, and I know that a calf like this would destroy most cows in KY especially with the winter we have had. If she couldn't get the job done why is the calf looking like this after 80-90 inches of rain in the rolling 12 months?

Yep, we strive for the 205. But wean everything in a 3 day window, hauling home from 7-8 pastures and of those critters, they're all in that 60 day window so a 205 (even commercially) helps us see which have performed better against their peers.

To creep or not to creep, I can assure you top operations whom state they don't, in fact do.

We can/will/may creep depending on the year. Sometimes it just depends on the pasture. Either way, it'll be honest reporting.

************* said:
76 Bar said:
If she's done her job the calf should weigh ~ 875 lbs ~ at 205 days. Presume he's destined to be steered based on his dam's exceptionally poor teat/udder.

I should probably slaughter em both, and buy some VERY high dollar embryos from you, and perhaps breed them to one of your sires?

That cow is the result of one of the top Angus operations in the state and SydGen, so I guess you are making a clear statement about where they fall in the pecking order.

I know for a fact International is a good bull, he's proven, and I know that a calf like this would destroy most cows in KY especially with the winter we have had. If she couldn't get the job done why is the calf looking like this after 80-90 inches of rain in the rolling 12 months?

I think your biggest problem is you assume everything you own is too because it came from top?

Jet Black embryos sold for 20-21K this past two weeks. Should I value mine the same? Do you think I'd ever see that? No.

I have a SAV daughter from SAV embryos, should I expect I can sell her or her offspring for SAV money? No.

I will defend you on Harvestor but as a few have implied, we are seeing some udders looking defeated. It's all a learning process.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
76 Bar said:

I think your biggest problem is you assume everything you own is too because it came from top?

Jet Black embryos sold for 20-21K this past two weeks. Should I value mine the same? Do you think I'd ever see that? No.

I have a SAV daughter from SAV embryos, should I expect I can sell her or her offspring for SAV money? No.

I will defend you on Harvestor but as a few have implied, we are seeing some udders looking defeated. It's all a learning process.

I hope you don't think I'm expecting each calf born out here to bring $20k or more.

That's not even happening at Boyd's where in a recent sale they were selling Confidence Plus sons. Try getting that semen on the cheap.

I'm breeding to improve my herd as quickly and efficiently as I can.

At this moment I could drop the cash to buy embryos and use my whole herd as recips, bring in a few partners, hire out a slick marketing campaign. It really would be quite easy. But with that said, I want to see what my real ability is. The journey is far more rewarding than the destination. If it was solely money I was seeking, I sure as he.ll wouldn't be in this industry, I would focus my capital on tech startups, fund a handful, and wait for one to hit. I'm having a good time with cattle...for now.

The nasty comments make it not so enjoyable, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Have you noticed however, that I haven't offered up any stinging criticisms of anyone's cattle on CT?

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
76 Bar said:

I am planning on taking our Harvestor daughter out of a 14 year old Elba cow and collecting embryos before too long. I think having her running through the herd would improve things quickly.

Do you think my Elation calves have any value? I was thinking of selling them bred in 14 months to VAR Power Play. I'm thinking if I can get $750 a piece for them that would be good, your opinion?

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

I am planning on taking our Harvestor daughter out of a 14 year old Elba cow and collecting embryos before too long. I think having her running through the herd would improve things quickly.

Do you think my Elation calves have any value? I was thinking of selling them bred in 14 months to VAR Power Play. I'm thinking if I can get $750 a piece for them that would be good, your opinion?

You always have to go extreme but since you brought up $750 for your calves... what do you suppose those calves are worth to the insurance company in this flood stricken area? They're commercial price. An Elation calf or cow bred to Var whomever, means nothing to me because that's not what I'm after.

Every markets value is set on the price one is willing to pay.

Currently. I'm FOAMING at the mouth, wanting to get my hands on a PA Valor heifer. I've bid on a few. Got outbid. Now I realize I must go big or go home if I want such a fine female (they sure are the prettiest!)... I'd take a Valor over an elation, any day. And I have NO beef with Square B nor any problem with their program. It's just not what I'm after. And for many folks, it'll be the same. But you'll be hard pressed to sell an Elation calf or bred Elation heifer for anything remostelt close to the bigger operations.

And just because you spend an awful lot of money on a breeding, doesn't mean it's worth what you paid.

But I can't argue with you about sense and non-sense because you feel attacked or idolized. Funny you can't find a happy medium there either.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

You always have to go extreme but since you brought up $750 for your calves... what do you suppose those calves are worth to the insurance company in this flood stricken area? They're commercial price. An Elation calf or cow bred to Var whomever, means nothing to me because that's not what I'm after.

Currently. I'm FOAMING at the mouth, wanting to get my hands on a PA Valor heifer. I've bid on a few. Got outbid. Now I realize I must go big or go home if I want such a fine female (they sure are the prettiest!)... I'd take a Valor over an elation, any day. And I have NO beef with Square B nor any problem with their program. It's just not what I'm after. And for many folks, it'll be the same. But you'll be hard pressed to sell an Elation calf or bred Elation heifer for anything remostelt close to the bigger operations.

And just because you spend an awful lot of money on a breeding, doesn't mean it's worth what you paid.

But I can't argue with you about sense and non-sense because you feel attacked or idolized. Funny you can't find a happy medium there either.

Aren't there people on here constantly extolling the virtues of Sinclair bulls? What is it, do they have any merit?

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

Aren't there people on here constantly extolling the virtues of Sinclair bulls? What is it, do they have any merit?

I don't have nor own anything Sinclair. I did purchase an N Bar Emulation EXT granddaughter heifer a few weeks ago sired by Renown. I wanted N Bar.

I'll breed her to Rainfall and I expect great things. But I'm not chomping at Sinclair's.

I am however, more and more interested in the PA's. Have a few females already and those Valors are sexy.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

I can always count on you to suck the air out of the room. LOL!

I'm feeling pretty good about my Elation daughters, I think they have a bright future ahead of them.

Elation is not a one hit wonder. You may be surprised where he will show up in 2020 sales.

Especially Elation x President progeny. Just a hunch you will see them soon. Not just from Branded.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

I hope you don't think I'm expecting each calf born out here to bring $20k or more.

That's not even happening at Boyd's where in a recent sale they were selling Confidence Plus sons. Try getting that semen on the cheap.

I'm breeding to improve my herd as quickly and efficiently as I can.

At this moment I could drop the cash to buy embryos and use my whole herd as recips, bring in a few partners, hire out a slick marketing campaign. It really would be quite easy. But with that said, I want to see what my real ability is. The journey is far more rewarding than the destination. If it was solely money I was seeking, I sure as he.ll wouldn't be in this industry, I would focus my capital on tech startups, fund a handful, and wait for one to hit. I'm having a good time with cattle...for now.

The nasty comments make it not so enjoyable, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Have you noticed however, that I haven't offered up any stinging criticisms of anyone's cattle on CT?
In 50-75 years you might scratch out a decent bull that is in demand. Talking about a long game, that's it.

That's fine if you are retired,...

Ebenezer said:
In 50-75 years you might scratch out a decent bull that is in demand. Talking about a long game, that's it.

That's fine if you are retired,...

Ebenezer, let's assume the breeding practices you dedicate most of your posts to will give the best results. That plowing in the same old field of "stagnant genetics" will produce the best cow. That we should study Bonsma's methods and "eyeball" our cattle, measure performance and keep those that measure up to par and concentrate those genetics in our herd and in the breed. I know. I know. I am simplifying your concepts but you and others know what I mean.

I suppose there are breeders hidden out on the farm and living a reclusive life "out of sight and out of mind" plowing through their stagnant genetic pool to isolate the perfect cow genome. I guess I missed them. Or maybe they are a vanishing "breed of breeder".

I am most familiar with the Simmental breeders in Kentucky. None of the ones I am familiar with remain in hiding on their farms standing in the pasture all day looking for "Bonsma" characteristics and plowing the same old field of stagnant genetics year after year. That has not been the practices they have used to reach the pinnacle of their vocation.

Let me give you an example. The Genetics Advantage Sale (Simmental) is Saturday at Paris, KY. Several of the Users will be there. We have been discussing the fact that of the bred heifer lots listed in the catalog - 75% of them are bred to Cowboy Cut. Most of the bulls and heifers are recent genetics. What you label as "Bull of the Month Club" genetics.

Now, you are probably correct that all these major breed sales are commotion and promotion. But I have to say, if I look at the Simmental Breeders - The Rocking P, Maple Leaf Farm, Owens Brothers, Simme Valley, Fire Sweep Simmentals, etc - they are using fresh and promising genetics. Seems to me that the downside to being right, as you are, means being left behind as a lonely recluse. With the exception that you keep saying you have made lots of friends.

I am not as familiar with Angus Breeders but the most noteworthy ones seem to employ the freshest genetics. They don't seem to be plowing these stagnant genetic pools for 50 to 75 years to meet the needs of their customers.

You get to be RIGHT but you don't seem to get to be part of the "in crowd". And at least in the Simmental breed, you don't get to be a leader.

Latest posts