One of the Mysteries of the Universe

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
My drive way is about 1200 feet long from the county road all uphill, over the years I have bought enough rock to fill in the Trinty River. I am amazed that a road that has been walked in by a Deere 650 dozer has diesel trucks and tractors on it everyday can wash to the bottom of the hill. I have put in 4x4 rock overlayed with 2x2 rock overlayed with limestome and it still washes. I am all for putting in a carport at the bottom of the hill and walking to the house, I just have one small problem she doesn't like that idea.
I am open to suggestions if anybody has got one to stop the wash.

If you get that mystery solved, I would sure like to hear the answer. We are in the same situation and depending on how hard it rains, it can erode down three or four inches in places. We have even considered blacktop but you know how that would hold up under equipment. So I guess we are back to square one and buying more gravel.

Si

Caustic Burno":93ag75b4 said:
My drive way is about 1200 feet long from the county road all uphill, over the years I have bought enough rock to fill in the Trinty River. I am amazed that a road that has been walked in by a Deere 650 dozer has diesel trucks and tractors on it everyday can wash to the bottom of the hill. I have put in 4x4 rock overlayed with 2x2 rock overlayed with limestome and it still washes. I am all for putting in a carport at the bottom of the hill and walking to the house, I just have one small problem she doesn't like that idea.

Unless you have enough "Crown" in the center of the road to keep the water off it, and make the water go to each side of the road..........it will never quit washing out.

A flat gravel road is a pain in the butt. Never grade it down the center. Tilt the blade and stay on one side.

The more "Crown", the better off you are.

warpaint":3950ahty said:
I can never get enough "Crown" myself! :lol:

It is a very good libation paint. I enjoy it every chance I get also. :lol: :lol:

Get rid of the gravel. Get yourself some crushed limestone and it will spend the next 11 million years trying to bond itself back together. Crown it and get a good ditch on both sides.

Mine is about 1400 feet and drops about 100 feet. It is a pretty good grade. I put crushed limestone on it and the problems finally went away. Then we got a 7 inch rain. It didn't tear it up bad, but there are a few cuts. The crushed rock is still bonded in tho.

I buy it from Cresson, Tx - Fort Worth Curshed Stone plant. It goes for $3.50 a ton. 5 tons makes about 4 yards. It needs to be about 6 inches thick to bond and stay, and it does hold really well.

backhoeboogie":2co6nbka said:
Get rid of the gravel. Get yourself some crushed limestone and it will spend the next 11 million years trying to bond itself back together. Crown it and get a good ditch on both sides.

Mine is about 1400 feet and drops about 100 feet. It is a pretty good grade. I put crushed limestone on it and the problems finally went away. Then we got a 7 inch rain. It didn't tear it up bad, but there are a few cuts. The crushed rock is still bonded in tho.

I buy it from Cresson, Tx - Fort Worth Curshed Stone plant. It goes for $3.50 a ton. 5 tons makes about 4 yards. It needs to be about 6 inches thick to bond and stay, and it does hold really well.

Boogie our problem is we have no train tracks in Tyler county and everything has to be trucked in the frieght is awful. Heck they want 400 bucks a 14 yard load here. I will agree it is good stuff and you are probabally right if I would sit down and put a pencil to it.

Caustic Burno":3omq0car said:
backhoeboogie":3omq0car said:
Boogie our problem is we have no train tracks in Tyler county and everything has to be trucked in the frieght is awful. Heck they want 400 bucks a 14 yard load here. I will agree it is good stuff and you are probabally right if I would sit down and put a pencil to it.

Well doggone it.

We've got so much limestone here that we take it for granted.

That is a lot of nickels. 14 yards won't get you far either. It needs to be put down thick. It wants to bond to itself so to speak.

Black top might be the best thing.

I know that country you are in. I was born there. Got several generations of family from Orangefield. I remember roads made of sea shells.

There were some trucks hauling junk cars to the steel plants at Midolothian and looking for back hauls to your neck of the woods. Problem is they were all flat beds.

we have an asphalt driveway and it has held up well over the years as far as the heavy traffic of tractors and such. its probably about well at least 25 years old. there are a couple of bad spots where pine tree roots that are right next to it have caused it to buckle and a dropoff on the side that gets run off into has chipped a little bit but other than that its in good shape.

What we do during construction we apply a coat of asphalt sealer (primer) and it holds up better than just lime rock. After the sealer is applied we also spread sand across the sealer to help with traction.

Central Fl Cracker":1x8b7t6r said:
What we do during construction we apply a coat of asphalt sealer (primer) and it holds up better than just lime rock. After the sealer is applied we also spread sand across the sealer to help with traction.

Checked out the asphalt at a 1.25 a square foot I like my rock road. Time to put the grader blade back on the tractor.

Gravel migrates exactly where you don't want it to be, always and without fail. All you gotta do to solve your problem is just pour about six trucks worth in a pile at the end of the drive and DARE it to go up the hill.

You really gotta put on your game face, but it works.

:D

Caustic Burno":2hju17cz said:

Have you tried apple base?

Latest posts