One eartag or Two?

Help Support CattleToday:

insecticide ear tags should be applied 2 tags per animal for optimum control which will be for 4-6 months depending on the company and active ingredient in the tag. By the way it is a good idea to rotate your ear tags every year to prevent the flies from building a resistance. Rotate by active ingredient not brand name, rotate b/t organophosphates and permethrin.
Also use the same hole for crying out loud and use a good head gate, if necessary invest in a $3.50 rope halter.
Also these tag remover knives are a great deal and easy to use again $4.00 at most. These are safe for you.

I might mention it is a good idea to wear rubber gloves while installing the ear tags or else you might feel a little green at the end of the day. Dont ask me how I know.

[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might mention it is a good idea to wear rubber gloves while installing the ear tags or else you might feel a little green at the end of the day. Dont ask me how I know.
yeah but the flys won't bother you

after we get em into the chute we use nose pliers on most of em to hold thier heads still, and use flat wire snips to cut the old tags off, works like a charm.
samm

Caustic Burno":23w4hbpu said:
Fly tags are a waste of money period.

I can honestly say I have never handled them or used them.

I figure the animals lived without them before the tags came along and they can do so now.

But what works for some does and what does not work doesn't.

I always figured flies are something that can be dealt with in other ways.

Bez!

Fly tags are a waste of money period.
I would say it depends on where you are located. I know in some areas the flys have built a resistance. But where i am they still work. Put them in in May and no flies through the year.

Nothing is faster or easier for removing tags than the tag cutters. Also, the last time we worked our cows we changed all their ear tags (couldn't read them any more). To hold their heads still we simply slid a 4 inch post between their shoulders and the headgate at the first drop down panel. This slid their head back against the headgate and they could only move a couple of inches. We reused the some holes and had no torn ears. This was much faster, easier and less traumatic to the cows than catching their noses.

This may be old hat to some of you but we screw small chains across the opening of the mineral feeder (about four to an opening) and clip eartags to the chains. In addition we hang backrub in the gates of watering corrals set up in the intensive grazing system. It's working pretty well and it is sure easier to change the fly tags when they need changing.

Si

Green Creek":1n4ocdji said:
This may be old hat to some of you but we screw small chains across the opening of the mineral feeder (about four to an opening) and clip eartags to the chains. In addition we hang backrub in the gates of watering corrals set up in the intensive grazing system. It's working pretty well and it is sure easier to change the fly tags when they need changing.

Si

That is an idea I really like!