One eartag or Two?

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
I am going to eartag my hiefers tomorrow with a fly control eartag by placing one ear tag in their right ear.

Some farmers use one in the left and one in the right.

I was wanting to know the opinion of the board?

Thanks.

bcox

bcox - When I retain heifers I do not use the insecticide eartags... I just figure, they wear out(insecticide) and their ears would look like they were shot full of birdshot after a few years. Cattle that are going to be fed get tags in both ears. Retained animals I use other methods, but no ear tags.

mitchwi":tcyqvvu7 said:
bcox - When I retain heifers I do not use the insecticide eartags... I just figure, they wear out(insecticide) and their ears would look like they were shot full of birdshot after a few years. Cattle that are going to be fed get tags in both ears. Retained animals I use other methods, but no ear tags.

You don;t reuse the same hole?

dun

mitchwi":3o724tuv said:
I just figure, they wear out(insecticide) and their ears would look like they were shot full of birdshot after a few years.

Why not simply re-use the same hole for the next tag?

Anybody find they cause eyes to water at first?

We put 1 in each of our 550 lb steers ears.

dun":2wht0xcm said:
mitchwi":2wht0xcm said:

dun

How in the heck can you get into the same hole each time?? :shock: The way they throw their heads around when they are in the chute??? If I thought I could, I would try it!! :) I did notice last time I was at the sale barn they had these bars on the front of the chute that kinda "locked their head more in place... our chute doesn't have that, but it looks to be an easy weld job. Do you have these?

mitchwi":1sanifg8 said:
How in the heck can you get into the same hole each time?? :shock: The way they throw their heads around when they are in the chute??? If I thought I could, I would try it!! :) I did notice last time I was at the sale barn they had these bars on the front of the chute that kinda "locked their head more in place... our chute doesn't have that, but it looks to be an easy weld job. Do you have these?

You just let them throw their head around until they quit. Then snap the tag in the old hole. If you do that it doesn't hurt and next time it should be easier.

mitchwi":2t4eo5ni said:
dun":2t4eo5ni said:
mitchwi":2t4eo5ni said:

dun

Only had problems with one and she tore the ear all the way to the end. Of course she did that when we tried putting a second tag in her ear also.

dun

dun":162rpvvq said:
mitchwi":162rpvvq said:
dun":162rpvvq said:
mitchwi":162rpvvq said:

dun

Only had problems with one and she tore the ear all the way to the end. Of course she did that when we tried putting a second tag in her ear also.

dun

Well... I guess I just might try that next spring! Thanks!

Or you can slip a rope halter on and snub their head to the side...like you would for dehorning...and then put the tag in while they're *immobilized*. Takes a little more time in the chute, but...

I eartagged mine yesterday morning with one ear tag.

Some of my cattle had old ear tags.

What is the best way to remove existing eartags?

bcox

bcox":32s9f319 said:

bcox

Some use a special knife available at most feedstores and through vet supply houses, but I'm a cheapskate. Can't see spending the extra for the knife when I have a perfectly good pair of side cutters.

El_Putzo":lki587nk said:
bcox":lki587nk said:

bcox

Some use a special knife available at most feedstores and through vet supply houses, but I'm a cheapskate. Can't see spending the extra for the knife when I have a perfectly good pair of side cutters.

We used to use the sidecutters, but for a buck and half and the speed that the tag cutters work we quit doing it.

dun

I'll be sure to have a pair of tag cutters the next time.

I did not know their was such an animal.

Thanks.

bcox

Dun,

Thanks for the website.

That place is awesome!

bcox

Most insecticide ear tag companies recommend TWO tags, one in each ear. Don't know if it's just so they can sell more, but that's the recommended amount. We use the same holes also. If a cow gets a little ornery, I put the nose thongs in her and we pull the head to one side. It will not hurt them at all if you use the same hole, Now if you hit a vein, watch out!

Latest posts