On this Date in History.....France surrendered....

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
An "elite force" from the most powerful nation on the planet was defeated------France Surrendered-no surprise there--but they hoisted the now traditional and infamous White Hanky-----to a ragtag group of Mexicans, that according to some historians, couldn't even shoot.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... ed-mexico/

Have a happy, good and safe Cinco de Mayo!!

melking":8smjd04q said:
I, for one am glad they did. A fish taco is much better than a fish crepe.

Doubt they could have ever got those mexicans to learn to speak french either. :lol:

And here I always thought that Cinco de Mayo had to do with a ship load of mayonnaise that sank while on its way to Mexico. Just goes to show what I know.

Is defeating the French something worth celebrating over?

Dave":3cc7pxik said:
And here I always thought that Cinco de Mayo had to do with a ship load of mayonnaise that sank while on its way to Mexico. Just goes to show what I know.

Me too, Dave. Kinda goes along with quatro sinko. ;-)

lavacarancher":zn8k4xr6 said:
Dave":zn8k4xr6 said:

What was that quarto boat carrying when it went down?

greybeard":3ka4qyl8 said:
An "elite force" from the most powerful nation on the planet was defeated------France Surrendered-no surprise there--but they hoisted the now traditional and infamous White Hanky-----to a ragtag group of Mexicans, that according to some historians, couldn't even shoot.

A lot of revisionist history here... there was NO SURRENDER, the French retreated and France went on to win the war.
May 5, 1862 the battle of Puebla was only a battle that Mexico won vs France.
May 17, 1863 France won the 2nd battle of Puebla.
1864 USA invoked the Monroe doctrine to pressure France to withdraw from Mexico.
In 1866 in the interest of Franco-American relations France agreed.
Not because they lost to Mexico, but to avoid war with the USA.
The only war Mexico won was Mexico vs Mexico; the Mexican republicans vs the 2nd Mexican Empire; after France announced their withdrawal.

Son of Butch":5lbkgs27 said:
greybeard":5lbkgs27 said:

A lot of revisionist history here... there was NO SURRENDER, the French retreated and France went on to win the war.
May 5, 1862 the battle of Puebla was only a battle that Mexico won vs France.
May 17, 1863 France won the 2nd battle of Puebla.
1864 USA invoked the Monroe doctrine to pressure France to withdraw from Mexico.
In 1866 in the interest of Franco-American relations France agreed.
Not because they lost to Mexico, but to avoid war with the USA.
The only war Mexico won was Mexico vs Mexico; the Mexican republicans vs the 2nd Mexican Empire; after France announced their withdrawal.
They also won wars of independence against the Spanish.....Twice.

Dave":34fbgg6b said:
lavacarancher":34fbgg6b said:
Dave":34fbgg6b said:

What was that quarto boat carrying when it went down?

French soldiers.

wacocowboy":357zp19c said:
May 5th is a lot bigger deal here in the US than it is in Mexico.
I don't think I heard a soul even mention it this year. Maybe they're gonna celebrate July 4th.

wacocowboy":26ori7cr said:
TexasBred":26ori7cr said:
wacocowboy":26ori7cr said:
May 5th is a lot bigger deal here in the US than it is in Mexico.
I don't think I heard a soul even mention it this year. Maybe they're gonna celebrate July 4th.

September 15 is their big day.

I figured it was around the first of October....that's when the new Cadillacs come out. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts