OLDEST COW OR BULL YOU EVER HAD

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull - 7 yrs old. ( I dont keep them around too long)
cow - 14 yrs old (got two of those now on my place)

We joke that we have cows older than the ark or is it Moses. We have no idea how old they are. They have been on the farm since 1999 and they had more than a few calves when they arrived. The old guy who we looked after them for had no idea how old. He was 92 when he passed away this past Christmas.
This weaning they get shippied. HIp troubles, etc.
But then we have machinery thay came off the Ark an we still use it... :D

O'l Boss Cow...is 16 going by her bangs tattoo. Still in good condition, dropped a 110# bull calf this spring so quick that I didn't notice and bred back right on schedule. Has lost a tooth
so the rest arn't that far behind....think that this will be her last calf. DMc

I have one that I bought as a bred cow in '96. her bangs tattoo says she is a '92 model. She has a calf every year just like clock work. they always seem to be the biggest and best calves in the herd. She is in great shape and still has all her teeth. I keep hoping she has heifers. I don't keep heifers very often but I make the exception for her calves.

I have a cow that is 18 yrs. old. She gives me a great calf every year and is a good mamma. i JUST CAN'T GET RID OF HER , Too much history. :D

Hubby has one he raised from a calf, broke her foot and he doctored her etc... to recovery.... she's the only one he named (Pet) and is now 15 and has a calf every year. Has only had 2 heifer calves though (in 05 and 07) and he's keeping them both.

Danged if I know what the age of the oldest cow we ever had was - too many years, too many cows, and too little interest in age I guess. As long as they were producing and had no problems, we didn't pay that much attention to age.

One of our bulls is 14 years old, still breeding. Right now we have a 15 year old cow with a new calf, a 19 year old with a new bull and she'll breed back soon (she'll be 20 in February, she raised a big heifer last year, her two year old steer has tremendous horns, he's being retained as a trophy steer), we have a 17 year old who will calve in a couple of months and then there are a few more teenagers in our herd. Of course, these are Longhorns, they live and produce on into their later years. Got to love em. :)

Cow-Hereford. She has to be around 18 years old. She has produced some the top-performing cows in our herd. (most of her calves are 1/2 simmental 1/2 hereford) She also produced several County winning steers and heifers, and a class winner at state fair. This is gonna be her last year for us. She developed something in her uder (the vet told me what it was..I just dont remember) and two quarters dont 'work' properly. It's gonna be a sad day seeing that one go down the road.

Bull-We sell all of our bulls after a year, so I couldnt tell ya.

Cows - a couple have reached around 20.

We have a significant number of 12 - 16 year olds that are quite happily spitting out the calves still. Have two that have no teeth yet still get along alright without any extra feeding.

Bulls - have two mature bulls now, one is 12 (had him since 2y.o) the other about 7 (had him since 3 y.o). 12 year old has lost some teeth and has a bit of arthritis in the back legs, but still gets his job done. He produces amazing calves, we will not be letting him go any time soon (he will be here till he keels over, I think)

Latest posts