Older hereford cows breed for heifers or buy heifer calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Starting late

Reaction score
I bought a herd of Hereford cows from a neighbor. They are a nice bunch of cows and some produce great baldie calves. Some of them do have udder or teat problems, although they are minor and the cows are still producing good calves. The old cows are healthy, easy on feed, docile, etc. My question is should I try and breed them to a bull with genetics for good udders and teats, or should I just buy heifers with the charecteristics I want?

Coin toss! Do the existing cows have the genetics that you are looking for? If they do, I would breed them to select bulls (AI) to produce heifers. Those that don;t have the genetics I want to perpeetuate I would breed them to a meat making bull and not retain any heifers from those matings.

Starting late":1aazxej2 said:
the cows are still producing good calves. The old cows are healthy, easy on feed, docile, etc.

Unless you are wanting to raise seedstock or sell show cattle, it seems to me that the cows you have are exactly what most people would want.

Dun and wilson speak wisely. What do you want to do with your cattle? If it's commercial production, I would look at characterstics beyond udders. What kind of birth to weaning spread do you have from each cow? Muscle and muscle expression in their calves? With commercial production I would lean toward retaining heifers from cows you've seen put down your best calves. AI ing them to some bulls that will compliment their traits and spending the money you would otherwise spend buying heifers on getting a top flight herd bull. Seedstock is a different animal (literally). Then you may need to do some starting over.

If you started with pretty good over all genetics then why waste them? Good genetics can be hard to find at the right price. Buying older cows with good genetics is a good investment if you breed them wisely. Start with a goal and write down your plan as to how you will get there.

My goal is to produce "baldie" calves with an Angus bull, finish the calves and direct market the beef. From my limited experience this seems to be the best profit margin. I eventually want to breed for top performance (marbling and growth rate) on grass and legumes only, no grain. This bunch of old Hereford cows do very well on grass only, and the calves look better on pasture alone than any of my purchased steers do on high dollar feed. I intend to breed some Devon genetics into the herd at some point, or possibly some Murray Gray. For now though, I am just looking for Hereford/Angus calf production with a good carcass quality in a 1,200 lb animal at about 24 mos. age or a little less on forage only. Any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks

Starting late":2smqnknk said:
My goal is to produce "baldie" calves with an Angus bull, finish the calves and direct market the beef. From my limited experience this seems to be the best profit margin. I eventually want to breed for top performance (marbling and growth rate) on grass and legumes only, no grain. This bunch of old Hereford cows do very well on grass only, and the calves look better on pasture alone than any of my purchased steers do on high dollar feed. I intend to breed some Devon genetics into the herd at some point, or possibly some Murray Gray. For now though, I am just looking for Hereford/Angus calf production with a good carcass quality in a 1,200 lb animal at about 24 mos. age or a little less on forage only. Any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, here is what we used to do.

It requires infrastructure.

We used to AI the best cows and then throw them out with the angus bull.

We AI'd to Herf -so it was very obvious who was bred to what when the calves came. Keep the best calves and sell the rest.

Before we had a pen, chute and squeeze set up - we used to alternate every year - Angus bull and Herf bull.

Just a thought for you to consider

Keep those old cows - they almost always are the money makers - if they are healthy they will give you a calf every year until they hit their late teens and in some cases early 20's. (Yeah, it's true)

Cull the crap out of the calves and within 6 years you will be astounded at the change and the improvement in your herd.

Take pictures and keep records - it will allow you to see your mistakes as well as your victories.

My best

Bez+

Bez, that was a great response, and greatly appreciated. I am going to invest in a young Hereford purebred bull with good maternal qualities and breed the best of these older Herefords. I am also going to buy a couple of young Hereford heifers each year. I kept an Angus/Limousine heifer and an unknown breed heifer out of the first batch of feeders I bought. The unknow is not yet 2 years old and is larger than any Hereford I own. I call her super heifer, can't wait to see what kind of calf she produces with a big Angus bull (we'll find out in 3 weeks!!) Anyway, like an old timer once told me "it's hard to tell them apart once the hide comes off"

Starting late":1y234k15 said:
Bez, that was a great response, and greatly appreciated. I am going to invest in a young Hereford purebred bull with good maternal qualities and breed the best of these older Herefords. I am also going to buy a couple of young Hereford heifers each year. I kept an Angus/Limousine heifer and an unknown breed heifer out of the first batch of feeders I bought. The unknow is not yet 2 years old and is larger than any Hereford I own. I call her super heifer, can't wait to see what kind of calf she produces with a big Angus bull (we'll find out in 3 weeks!!) Anyway, like an old timer once told me "it's hard to tell them apart once the hide comes off"

Super heifer?

A yellow herf? Ie: pale red?

Might have some Char in her - makes them bigger and often keeps the same markings - just a lighter colour - we nick name them yellow herfs in my area.

Big cows can have probs with calving too - watch her.

Certainly sounds like something from the wood pile - pics?

Bez

Bez, I will post a pic first chance I get. I do know that she is from a 3/4 Angus 1/4 Limi bull. She is about a light buckskin in color with some white markings. She has been just outstanding since weaned.