Older cow has not bred back

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
I bought a 12 year old bred cow last Spring. I brought her home on April 12 and 3 days later she delivered a nice black baldy calf. I run the bull with them year round and noticed him trailing her in July and assumed she was bred back. However, she has come in heat the past two months in a row so I hung around to observe her being bred. Both times after the bull mounted her she within a minute or so expelled a good amount of semen. There are five other cows with this bull and all appear to have bred successfully since April. I've never run into this before. Should I cull her or is this some common problem that can be fixed?

RiverHills":1y5dv893 said:
I'm not as fast to ship cows as others on here but I think she has had more than enough time. You have to ship her.
To me it's both the amount of time not bred but moslty beacuse at her age some cows just seem to lose their fertility. Other than granny 21 without a miss the oldest we had a cow that settlled every year was only 16, most sstart to have issues around 12-13. Your mileage may vary

Thanks for all the replies. I had planned on selling her but wanted to check in to make sure I wasn't missing something that someone had experience with.

I would also preg check her before I ship her. One of my older jersey cows was confirmed preg then started showing heats. Preg checked her 4 times and she was still bred..just hormones causing her to show a "heat".
But, at 12 she has a few strikes and if open you can certainly pick up a replacement for maybe twice what her pound cow price will bring, so you won't have a ton in a replacement. Also are you sure the others are bred?? I'd hate for it to be the bull and you just aren't seeing anyone else come back in heat.

Cystic ovary most likely, but as others have mentioned - preg check first. Vet may feel something out of whack if not bred.

TCRanch":1cr3vnv4 said:
Preg check her first just to be sure, then ship her. My oldest cow will stand for anything (bull, cow, steer) right up until she calves.

I had an old girlfriend like that one time. :lol:

Supa Dexta":404myy0y said:
Cystic ovary most likely, but as others have mentioned - preg check first. Vet may feel something out of whack if not bred.
Cystic ovary usually has them returning to heat every week or so, not a normal heat cycle

Ol' 243":2hwpcgjc said:
TCRanch":2hwpcgjc said:
Preg check her first just to be sure, then ship her. My oldest cow will stand for anything (bull, cow, steer) right up until she calves.

:lol2: I had a few of those myself

5S Cattle":il5g2m16 said:
Ol' 243":il5g2m16 said:
TCRanch":il5g2m16 said:

:lol2: I had a few of those myself

You fellows bragging or complaining? :nod: :heart: :cry2:

Latest posts