Old deceased donor cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score

One of her daughters in my herd. Not slick shaved & posed, but you can appreciate her depth and clean front end - AND big feet!

We worked our calves today. Out of 12 heifers, 8 were decendents of the old lady. BTW, the donor cow was 12 years old in the picture taken. We shipped her at age of 16 - quit cycling on time. Averaged 19 embryos, flushed every 60 days, 5 times each year, with a calf nursing her. What I would call a fertile myrtle.

Franke said:
Always liked looking at her on Hudson Pines cite.

Yes, the picture was taken at HPF by Ryan's wife, Megan.
She also had that "perfect" personality. Load her in the work chute, she would walk up, stop, and lean her head thru the chute and wait for you to close the head lock. She was the "leader" when you called. Luckily, I have a lot of her genetics in my herd.

Yes, it was a sad day. But, my cattle aren't pets. They are here to make a living. My herd probably is about 1/4 to 1/3 her genetics.
And, rereading my first post, I should explain that she was flushed 4 years - every other year. She would calve, HPF would lease her for the year while she nursed her calf and was open, flushing her every 60 days. Then would breed her to calve again and she would be here through her pregnancy and calving. So 4 years she didn't calve, just got flushed and I got 1/2 the embryos.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes, it was a sad day. But, my cattle aren't pets. They are here to make a living. My herd probably is about 1/4 to 1/3 her genetics.
And, rereading my first post, I should explain that she was flushed 4 years - every other year. She would calve, HPF would lease her for the year while she nursed her calf and was open, flushing her every 60 days. Then would breed her to calve again and she would be here through her pregnancy and calving. So 4 years she didn't calve, just got flushed and I got 1/2 the embryos.

You certainly have some great genetics in your herd. That video of your cows crossing the creek reveals a herd of cows with great depth, spring of rib, good bone mass and great muscle mass. You have done a great job building that group of cows.

:oops: :oops: Thanks!!
I take great pride in my herd. I buy a top donor type cow every few years. Does that make me less of a "breeder"?? I think not. It's what you do with those cows after you get them that matters. I breed to many DIFFERENT bulls, but my calf crop is extremely uniform. I pick bulls then hand match them to each cow, mainly based on phenotype, but EPD's also enter the picture at that time.

JHH said:
Looking good Jean. I am afraid she would have earned her right to die on farm here. But I do understand salvage value.
I understand where some would feel that way, but resources (land) don't increase, but the herd keeps trying to - LOL.
Must make room for "new & improved" (hopefully!!)

Latest posts