Ok Ladies--this one's for you

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
:hide:
http://www.womenon20s.org/

Women On 20s aims to compel historic change by convincing President Obama that NOW is the time to put a woman's face on our paper currency. But who should it be? We believe that's for you, the public, to decide from a slate of 15 inspiring American women heroes. Welcome to the voting booth. Here you may learn things about the candidates you never knew and get your questions answered about the whys and hows of our game plan. We believe this simple, symbolic and long-overdue change could be an important stepping stone for other initiatives promoting gender equality. Our money does say something about us, about what we value. So together, let's make our money egalitarian and inclusive!

Alice Paul (1885 - 1977) Fierce crusader, hunger striker and strategist whose 10-year campaign led to women's right to vote. A lawyer and social worker, for 50 years she headed the National Women's Party, fighting for an equal rights amendment.

Betty Friedan (1921 - 2006) Her book, The Feminine Mystique, is credited with sparking the second wave of American feminism. Founder and first president of the National Organization for Women (NOW), she organized the nationwide "Women's Strike for Equality" on 50th anniversary of women's suffrage.

Shirley Chisholm (1924 - 2005) First African-American woman elected to Congress and first majority-party black candidate for U.S. President. Advocated for minorities, women and children. Changed public perception of the capabilities of women and African-Americans.

Sojourner Truth (c.1797 - 1883) Born into slavery and escaped into freedom, she sued a white man to recover her son. Illiterate, she traveled widely, speaking for abolition and women's rights. Counseled freed slaves & tried unsuccessfully to get them federal land grants.

Rachel Carson (1907 - 1964) Her work and groundbreaking books in the 1950s & '60s spurred the modern American environmental movement. A trained zoologist, her book Silent Spring exposed the dangers of pesticide use, leading to a DDT ban and creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Rosa Parks (1913 - 2005) Saluted by Congress as the "first lady of civil rights," she challenged racial segregation by refusing to give up her bus seat to a white man. Her arrest, and the ensuing Montgomery bus boycott, became symbols in the struggle for racial equality and civil rights in the United States.

Barbara Jordan (1936 - 1996) First African American elected to Texas Senate after reconstruction and first black woman from deep South elected to US House of Representatives. First black woman to deliver keynote at Democratic National Convention.

Margaret Sanger (1879 - 1966) Popularized term "birth control" and opened the first U.S. birth control clinic. Arrested and tried for disseminating information on contraception. Helped in court cases leading to legalization of contraception in the United States. Pioneered Planned Parenthood.

Patsy Mink (1927 - 2002) First woman of color elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and first Asian-American in Congress. Largely responsible for passage of Title IX bill ending sex discrimination in education, including in athletics.

Clara Barton (1821 - 1912) Pioneering nurse who first brought medical care to the front lines during the Civil War. She earned the nickname "the angel of the battlefield." Coordinated national effort to locate Civil War soldiers missing in action. Founded the American Red Cross.

Harriet Tubman (c.1822 - 1913) Born a slave, she fled North to freedom, later making 19 trips back to the South as an Underground Railroad conductor, leading some 300 slaves to freedom. A nurse during the Civil War, she served the Union army as a scout and spy. She was active in the women's suffrage movement after the war.

Frances Perkins (1880 - 1965) FDR's four-term labor secretary, she was the first woman cabinet member in US history. Introduced the Social Security Act, Civilian Conservation Corps, Public Works Administration, minimum wage, 40-hour workweek and laws against child labor.

Susan B. Anthony (1820 - 1906) A leader in both the abolition & suffrage movements. In a 50-year partnership with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, she established organizations, petition drives and publications, while campaigning widely for passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution giving women the vote.

Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962) Redefined the role of First Lady. Used her newspaper column, radio and speeches to champion civil and women's rights, often in opposition to her husband FDR's policies. As a UN delegate and "First Lady of the World," she drafted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815 - 1902) Called the "founding genius" of the women's rights movement. She convened the 1848 Seneca Falls Convention, declaring, "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men and women are created equal," inspiring a generation of suffragists.

:hide:

My choice, IF there has to be a change:
Susanna Dickinson
hqdefault.jpg

or
Emily D. West aka Emily Morgan aka THE Yellow Rose of Texas
yellowrose.jpg

Don't be silly greybeard, the natural choice has to be Kim Kardashian. Geez get real already :lol2:

Larry

About 80% of those listed are not deserving, IMO. Grey, I hope I don't get this one shut down and Mods, I don't mean for this to be that political. We, society, have somehow turned the political process into a decision to vote for someone based only on if they have teats or testicles or worse, on the color of their skin. Candidate integrity has gone out the window and means absolutely nothing. Voter integrity has gone out the window. Used to be someone with a checkered past or someone who lies about a world changing event would never even consider being chosen to govern. What have we become?

So back to your survey. If we chose to put a woman on a US currency I would choose Clara Barton. But remember, this would not be the FIRST female on US currency. We have Susan B. Anthony and (boy, I'm going to kill the spelling) Sagagueya - a native American female.

Hillary! She could be one of the very few four term presidents! Yah I'm counting Bill's terms.

Women On $20s is a 501c3 non-profit organization. Bet their 501c3 application was fast tracked by the IRS. They may want to rethink as there are several people on the list I would not call women. How about Varina Davis?

An old Bill Clinton era joke:

Air Force one crashes with Bill, Al and Hillary all aboard, all onboard were killed. Bill, Al and Hillary find them standing infront of God high on his throne. God looks at Bill And asks "who are you and what have you done?" Bill replies "I'm Bill Clinton, president of the United States, the most powerful man in the world." God motions to Bill and says, " you belong beside me on my right hand side, have the seat to my right." God turns to Al and asks "who are you and what have you done?" Al replies "I'm Al Gore, Vice President of the United States, the second most powerful man in the world". God motions to Al and says "you belong next to me on my left hand side, take the seat to my left". God turns to Hillary and asks her, " who are you and wh......" Hillary interupts God and states, " Never mind that! Your in my chair!"

Sorry for the hijack GB. :oops:

From that list I would pick Harriet Tubman. From where she started in life, to where she went, is amazing.

Kind of surprised Emilia Earhart wasn't on the list, it was more politically focused.

We've honored Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea with coins, so it's not that big a deal to put a woman on paper currency is it?

"Clara Barton (1821 - 1912) Pioneering nurse who first brought medical care to the front lines during the Civil War. She earned the nickname "the angel of the battlefield." Coordinated national effort to locate Civil War soldiers missing in action. Founded the American Red Cross."

I'd think she would be most worthy, but there are a couple of others on the list that I wouldn't argue with (and a few I would). What about Patsy Cline?

MO_cows":20t20jd7 said:
From that list I would pick Harriet Tubman. From where she started in life, to where she went, is amazing.

Kind of surprised Emilia Earhart wasn't on the list, it was more politically focused.

We've honored Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea with coins, so it's not that big a deal to put a woman on paper currency is it?

Yes, it is very politically focused. I'll give up using $20 bills if any of these gals are pictured. Earhart would be good.

Latest posts