Oiled up the calf jack for nothing.

Help Support CattleToday:

Andyva

Reaction score
So, I put a Shorthorn bull on my predominantly Hereford/Angus herd, trying to get some substance and easy fleshing properties back into my cow herd. They should get some hybrid vigor whether they trend to the Angus side or the Hereford. Should get red around the eyes for pinkeye, and should cover up the neck finching from the Hereford. Might get some scary chrome.

The main scary thing was calving trouble. I wondered about the accuracy of the data, with a breed that can have huge calves. My first one hit the ground out of a Simmi/Limmi/Hereford cow. 64 pound heifer calf. Not storing away the calf jack just yet, sometimes the first couple don't cook all the way, but definitely not too scary.
http://ranchers.net/photopost/showfull.php?photo=16239

Andy,
Have been using some Shorthorn sires over high% Angus cows for several years now. They're not all cow-killers - but it was a concern for me when we started!
Have at least one that we've used repeatedly for years - Waukaru Goldmine 2109 - that I'd use on any heifer and not lose a second's sleep. Short gestation(avg 271 days), they come slender and grow well.
Bet you'll like 'em. I'm convinced that the right Shorthorn bulls bring a lot to the table that would benefit commercial herds.

Waukaru has some really nice genetics that could work in an awful lot of situations. My bull carries a little of those bloodlines. I thought that this one was a tad early compared to what I'm used to, by about a week.

Nesikep":1n8u992e said:
She looks alright :) Hope the rest of them come out fine too.

I don't have a jack... hasn't come to bite me yet :rolleyes:
Hope you have someone very close by that does have one. Needing one and wasting time trying to locate one is not a good plan--by the time you realize the need you won't have much time at all. I've used one in 10 years but I'll never be without one.

We used a block and tackle for years. Of course that requires two anchor points. If you have cows long enough, you will need something eventually. Went to a fellow's farm one time, he was having calf trouble, asked if he had a calf puller. He said, "yep, I'll go get it." He came out with a fancy d handle with a hook, and a nice shiny chain. That was all he had. If that can pull a calf, then it didn't need pulling.

I guess you can pull one with that tool--if you have the endurance, and she's layn down so you can brace with your feet on her backside--and you're a young man and if she don't decide to get up and run off while your hanging on the D handle of that hook. It's better than nothing I guess but about all I see is, that it's better than pulling on nothing but slippery chains.

Waukaru Patent 8161 is probably the best bull in the breed for improving carcass traits, but I probably wouldn't use him on heifers. That heifer looks nice Andyva! Looking forward to seeing some more.

[img][/img]

Here is a sampling. No chrome, mostly solid reds, but some red white faces, black white faces and a few solid blacks. Had a curve bender today. 91 pounder out of an old Lim/baldie cow, I had to pull a calf from her once. Average is at 75 pounds. Up until today the heaviest had been 85 and the lightest was a 57 pounder.

Andyva":1id8jv24 said:
[img][/img]

Here is a sampling. No chrome, mostly solid reds, but some red white faces, black white faces and a few solid blacks. Had a curve bender today. 91 pounder out of an old Lim/baldie cow, I had to pull a calf from her once. Average is at 75 pounds. Up until today the heaviest had been 85 and the lightest was a 57 pounder.

Nice calves.

CIMG1332.jpg

Latest posts