Oil for Older Tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

My understanding of detergent oil vs. non-detergent is that detergent oil keeps the impurities in suspension so the filter can screen them out. The non-detergent oil lets the impurities settle to the bottom where they are taken out with the oil change.

I run 10-40 Rotella in everything from a '58 model to a '05 and run every thing wide open and have never had any problems. It's my understanding that the 30 weight deal was mainly for small engines that don't have an oil pump, but instead have a slinger that throws the oil up to the piston. The thinner the oil, the less it throws, so stick with the 30 in them.

I would run a diesel rated detergent oil. I would not run non-detergent. I have run both straight weights and multi-grade automotive oil in my Case DC tractors which have babbit bearings with no apparent problems. These tractors also have a wet clutch with oil from the engine.

Most of ya'll probally not old enough to remember pulling the valve covers off and wonder where the rocker arms were.
They were hidden under all the sludge from non detergent oil. You couldn't pay me to use that crap with todays high quality lubricants available.

Caustic Burno":1jcbtk42 said:
Most of ya'll probally not old enough to remember pulling the valve covers off and wonder where the rocker arms were.
They were hidden under all the sludge from non detergent oil. You couldn't pay me to use that crap with todays high quality lubricants available.
yep
have seen some of them so gummed up you had to dig the crud off the top so you could get to the nut on the rocker assembly

Caustic Burno":l21j24et said:

Yes sir, you are absolutely right!

I run 15-40 rotella in everything diesel around here. The only diesel ive seen that called for 30wt was on a welding machine with a small aircooled diesel engine. Diesels are dirty. They need a high detergent oil imo.

I am that old C B wish I wasn't though. I run 15-40 in everything but I try to buy different brands of diesel oil when the barrel gets empty. All the mgf have quality oil they just use different additives. NAPPA sells a good heavy duty oil under their name. I think Vavoline makes it, less than $10 a gal in bulk.

Valvoline I think just came out with a new formula for older cars..........it just came out last month........you might talk to a parts store about it. What brand and year model tractor are you concerned about?

If it hasn;t had detergent oil in it before now you're conna have to change filters a copule of times as the gunk breaks lose and starts to try to circulate

dun":2i7op29g said:
If it hasn;t had detergent oil in it before now you're conna have to change filters a copule of times as the gunk breaks lose and starts to try to circulate

I would flush it .........at least once.........

I only have one motor oil on the farm ( John Deere Torq Gard plus 50 15W40 ) everything from the lawn mower to the combine gets it. Rotella and a lot of others are good, name brand oils. I use the John Deere so that if one of their parts fail they can't say it's the oil.

Larry

Flushing an engine can be hazardous if there is a sludge build up. Chunks can break of clogging oil passages.
If you, or who ever, have been using detergent oil in the engine and have been changing it there should not be a build up. If you are worried about it then pull a valve cover and check.

larryshoat":3cvn3s7g said:
I only have one motor oil on the farm ( John Deere Torq Gard plus 50 15W40 ) everything from the lawn mower to the combine gets it. Larry

I can not find JI Case oil, or even a JI Case ball cap, :( so I plan to make my own (ball cap)!

I bought a used manual off E bay and put in the heaviest listed oil - - straight 30 weight. Our farm store also carries a "diesel" straight 40 weight. Under what conditions would you use 40 weight?

Stocker Steve":1kve926k said:
I bought a used manual off E bay and put in the heaviest listed oil - - straight 30 weight. Our farm store also carries a "diesel" straight 40 weight. Under what conditions would you use 40 weight?

I would think in your climate that would mean excessive wear due to cold starts shortening the life of equipment and increasing fuel cost.

Latest posts