Of All The Creatures...........

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint":khy3etm3 said:
I would almost rather have the chiggers. :lol:

Me too since they only bother the wife and leave me alone. But guineas bother everybody

dun

Like I said, the wife can follow me step for step, lay down in the grass and roll around and not get one bite. :roll:

She said the other night "they find you tasty". :shock:

warpaint":3m2rtn4o said:
It is most definately a bug!!!
They are very tiny, and bury up in skin. They itch like the devil.
worked with a gal from Hawaii - thought she was gonna die when she found out that she had things living in her skin -
it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Carlos D.":34zt2l02 said:
Well thats a plus for canada --never heard of chiggers before

carl

I worked with a bunch of Stone & Webster Engineers, mostly from Boston, back in the mid 80's. They had never heard of chiggers/red bugs either. They went off on some hiking boondoggle and got into a bunch of them. About a dozen of them were scratching for days. When they discussed it I told them what to do they didn't believe me. Some thought it was some kind of poision oak and went to the doctor. Some got in bath tubs with some bleach and the problem went away.

We have wood ticks here in may- june their about 1/8 inch brown and hard they get on animals or people bury their heads in you and suck blood till their grey and almost as fat as a quater I too have guineas and am never bothered by them in our yard

carl

Carlos D.":1162tjjq said:
We have wood ticks here in may- june their about 1/8 inch brown and hard they get on animals or people bury their heads in you and suck blood till their grey and almost as fat as a quater I too have guineas and am never bothered by them in our yard

carl

Fire ants have killed many of the ticks in the south. We don't have them nearly as bad as we used to in these parts.

Chiggers can't be seen with the naked eye. They can pack a huge amount of misery for such tiny creatures. Their sign is the resemblance of one heck of a misquito bite, that itches like the dickens. They like to linger and settle in places like the wasteband of your underclothes. Their itch will drive you bonkers. They travel in herds too.

just read what dun posted, all I can say is poor you, hope they go soon. I have heard of harvest mite but thankfully have never encountered them.

Yeah, guineas are noisy, they're terrible parents, great watchdogs, etc., but I AM NOT scratching at chigger bites (except when I look at bug pictures, LOL!). Did have 6 guinea keets survive this summer. Actually 7...I stole an egg, stuck it under a broody banty hen, it hatched and was raised by two banty hens (fierce little mamas, those two)...this baby guinea is smaller than the 6 guinea-raised keets but if she makes it through the winter, I'll bet she'll turn out to be a better parent than the 'real' guineas.

Alice":20p8330n said:
Mother used to paint our chiggar bites with clear nail polish. Burned like crazy for a minute, but it worked.

Alice

We use finger nail polish. Smothers the critters.

Carlos D.":fy1fvlvh said:

carl

OOHH I hate ticks the worst. Nothing more disgusting than finding a tick attached to you. I almost wrecked once when I found one crawling on my neck.

warpaint":z6m1vinp said:
The Good Lord chose to put on this planet, the one I find the most useless is the chigger!!

I had made it thru most of the summer with no more than a couple of bites, until this past weekend.
I got home late Thursday afternoon and we were preparing for a small gatherin to be held at our place over the holiday. Lots of high grass around the house, that I had neglected weedeating. Normally I prepare before going out to do this chore by putting on some kind of repellant. But with the few times I had actually been biten, I didn't think to much about it this time. BIG MISTAKE!
I haven't actually counted the little critters, but I know I have over a hundred scattered over my body.
It has always amazed me that the wife can follow me wherever I go and not get biten. I guess they jump on me and there is none left to attack her. :roll:

Crowder says it's because you are soooooooooooo sweet. Is there something that you and Crowder needs to let out of the closet and explain?

Nowland Farms":170ouahd said:
warpaint":170ouahd said:
The Good Lord chose to put on this planet, the one I find the most useless is the chigger!!

I had made it thru most of the summer with no more than a couple of bites, until this past weekend.
I got home late Thursday afternoon and we were preparing for a small gatherin to be held at our place over the holiday. Lots of high grass around the house, that I had neglected weedeating. Normally I prepare before going out to do this chore by putting on some kind of repellant. But with the few times I had actually been biten, I didn't think to much about it this time. BIG MISTAKE!
I haven't actually counted the little critters, but I know I have over a hundred scattered over my body.
It has always amazed me that the wife can follow me wherever I go and not get biten. I guess they jump on me and there is none left to attack her. :roll:

Crowder says it's because you are soooooooooooo sweet. Is there something that you and Crowder needs to let out of the closet and explain?

Rod, Crowder's fixin' to come to Alabama and put a knot on your HEAD! The only thing I got to let out the closet is my radio controlled Pit Bull. Now stop it you big Ol' silly!

There is a secret why us cajuns aren't tormented by chiggers, ticks or skeeters. I'll pass this on to you. EAT MORE GARLIC. Drinking plenty of coldbeer don't hurt either.Z

We've got both chiggers and ticks. So don't feel like us up here in the cold don't get left out on some of lifes little treasures.

MillIronQH":3bkzpicj said:
There is a secret why us cajuns aren't tormented by chiggers, ticks or skeeters. I'll pass this on to you. EAT MORE GARLIC. Drinking plenty of coldbeer don't hurt either.Z

Z, if the cold beer was all that was needed to keep em away, I'd have that covered. I prefer longnecks, but since the stepson saves cans to help pay his registration fees for showing, when at home I switch to cans. I try to helphim out all I can. (Really help him out) ;-)

I have got a full blown cure for them chiggers.As part of my administration, I'll promise to get all them chiggers employed, which will give them no chance to have so much idle time on their hands, to irritate us working folks.Why just yesterday some chiggers tried to bite me and sell me some fake gold jewelry.

Crowderfarms":15q9so4f said:
I have got a full blown cure for them chiggers.As part of my administration, I'll promise to get all them chiggers employed, which will give them no chance to have so much idle time on their hands, to irritate us working folks.Why just yesterday some chiggers tried to bite me and sell me some fake gold jewelry.

Mr President, might I suggest a new counterterroism action? We send a platoon of chiggers to the middle east and them critters will keep those terroists so busy scratching they won't have time to be thinking about us. The cost of shipping the platoon would be very small - could send them by mail to Mr. Bin Laden himself.

I understand that Arkansas Hillbilly University has already applied for the Federal Grant to pursue the study on this plan. I've heard that we can expect that the study to be completed no later than December of 2009.

mdmdogs3":2f4o63a2 said:
Crowderfarms":2f4o63a2 said:

Mr President, might I suggest a new counterterroism action? We send a platoon of chiggers to the middle east and them critters will keep those terroists so busy scratching they won't have time to be thinking about us. The cost of shipping the platoon would be very small - could send them by mail to Mr. Bin Laden himself.

I understand that Arkansas Hillbilly University has already applied for the Federal Grant to pursue the study on this plan. I've heard that we can expect that the study to be completed no later than December of 2009.
That's a brilliant idea. I'll release the funds this afternoon.BTW, We have an immeadiate opening for an Arkansas resident with the cabinet.Would you be able to free up some time for Chigger research.Should not be too demanding a job... :shock:

Latest posts