Of All The Creatures...........

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
The Good Lord chose to put on this planet, the one I find the most useless is the chigger!!

I had made it thru most of the summer with no more than a couple of bites, until this past weekend.
I got home late Thursday afternoon and we were preparing for a small gatherin to be held at our place over the holiday. Lots of high grass around the house, that I had neglected weedeating. Normally I prepare before going out to do this chore by putting on some kind of repellant. But with the few times I had actually been biten, I didn't think to much about it this time. BIG MISTAKE!
I haven't actually counted the little critters, but I know I have over a hundred scattered over my body.
It has always amazed me that the wife can follow me wherever I go and not get biten. I guess they jump on me and there is none left to attack her. :roll:

A lot of folks around here think they got into Redbugs, but in all actuality have gotten into Turkey Mites. Youll wake up in the morning with a strange urge to strut,gobble and fan your tail...Usually goes away with a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

I've always woke up with the urge to strut and gooble! :shock:

These little biters are immune to rubbin alcohol, I reckon. It aint fazed em yet.

try taking a bath in clorox water -
has to be strong enough to stink but not sting

that seems to work on just about anything

They have a chiggerrid cream at wally world that works great for me. I keep a couple of vials of it in the medicine cabinet. Whenever I get a double dose of the critters and wake up in the middle of the night hunting a wire brush, I get out the cream. Then I can get some sleep.

The old standby for about everything. Wipe down with clorox and water, wait a half hour or so and wash it off or take a shower. My wife draws chiggers like flys on stink. After she's been out working in the woods or tall grass/weeds she washes down with the mix and hasn;t had a problem in years. Before doing it she had to be treated at the emergency room for them one time.

dun

I've got something called Chigguard that has helped in the past, but I guess these are the terminator type. I think they could drink the stuff and ask for more.
Never tried the clorox, but at this point, am ready to try acid if it'll help. :shock:

Mother used to paint our chiggar bites with clear nail polish. Burned like crazy for a minute, but it worked.

Alice

Alice":2xz3v95g said:
Mother used to paint our chiggar bites with clear nail polish. Burned like crazy for a minute, but it worked.

Alice

I also have used this method. But like I said, these seem to be holdin their breath. :lol:

Crowderfarms":2a0fljku said:
The best remedy for Chiggers is ol' fashion Lye soap.

But it is three more days until Saturday's bath!!!!!!! What do you do in the mean time?

mitchwi":1ml8x29u said:
What is this Chigger thing, is it a bug or a plant?

It is most definately a bug!!!
They are very tiny, and bury up in skin. They itch like the devil.

Altough there is a plant called chigger weed. ;-)

I guess folks in the colder climates don't have to deal with as many because of the temps. We could stand a good hard freeze here for a week or two to get rid of some of ours!!!

Gale Seddon":2x93jzpl said:
dun":2x93jzpl said:
mitchwi":2x93jzpl said:
What is this Chigger thing, is it a bug or a plant?

Probably more then you really care to know:
http://www.greenvalleypc.com/html/licem ... iggers.htm

dun

Just reading about them makes me itch. I always thought you had to avoid sitting on logs and tree stumps, at least that's what I was told growing up. Maybe the guineas eat these things along with the ticks.

Guineas make so much noise they probably drive them away

dun

Latest posts