Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Thinking about using oats to seed ground that was torn up this winter. Someone suggested some crabgrass seed to go with it. I am open to suggestions. I'm trying to do it on the cheap. Will be broadcast on.

What are yall putting down, if anything?

We use a drag to level out our winter pasture once the cows are out and it's dry enough. We use a broadcast seeder to spread oats, clover, and timothy seed, then go over it once more with the drag then coulipack. By the time the herd is rotating back to this pasture in about 4-5 weeks it has a decent stand or forage. The redroot weeds come in as well, but the cows like them in their young stage.

We use a drag to level out our winter pasture once the cows are out and it's dry enough. We use a broadcast seeder to spread oats, clover, and timothy seed, then go over it once more with the drag then coulipack. By the time the herd is rotating back to this pasture in about 4-5 weeks it has a decent stand or forage. The redroot weeds come in as well, but the cows like them in their young stage.
Could you post a picture or describe your drag. We have some rough pasture that needs some work.

Thinking about using oats to seed ground that was torn up this winter. Someone suggested some crabgrass seed to go with it. I am open to suggestions. I'm trying to do it on the cheap. Will be broadcast on.

What are yall putting down, if anything?
We like rye grass. It takes well to just being slung out and grows well in the spring.

I've used oats as a base carrier for spring frost seeding for years. Been "drilling" (use my old 8300 JD drills right onto frozen ground) for good even seed distribution. Go out just as soon as I can... typically this time of year here in Minnesota. Prefer to wait until all the snow has pretty much melted, so "snowless" has been accomplished, and then go out onto frozen ground right after we get a nice 3-4" snow, and drill right into that... NO TILLAGE AT ALL. The melting snow will press the seed down firmly onto the soil surface and help to keep it moist... along with the normal spring rains. Typically I'll seed about a 20 way blend of stuff, but generally it'll be about 6 different grasses, maybe 6 different legumes, and 3-4 brassicas (cows LOVE kale). Prefer to have put some winter rye out the fall prior too as well. I blend everything together with an old grinder mixer (just use the mixer), and then put it right into the big seed box... call it my "Handy Dandy Seed Tender Blender".

What species you use will always be dependent on where you are located... and what your goals are... do you want perennial pasture from your seeding, or annuals... do you want the plants to provide you with N? Do you want to prevent soil erosion? Is this permanent pasture, or rotated farm fields? What crop will follow what you're putting down today? Etc.

I've used oats as a base carrier for spring frost seeding for years. Been "drilling" (use my old 8300 JD drills right onto frozen ground) for good even seed distribution. Go out just as soon as I can... typically this time of year here in Minnesota. Prefer to wait until all the snow has pretty much melted, so "snowless" has been accomplished, and then go out onto frozen ground right after we get a nice 3-4" snow, and drill right into that... NO TILLAGE AT ALL. The melting snow will press the seed down firmly onto the soil surface and help to keep it moist... along with the normal spring rains. Typically I'll seed about a 20 way blend of stuff, but generally it'll be about 6 different grasses, maybe 6 different legumes, and 3-4 brassicas (cows LOVE kale). Prefer to have put some winter rye out the fall prior too as well. I blend everything together with an old grinder mixer (just use the mixer), and then put it right into the big seed box... call it my "Handy Dandy Seed Tender Blender".

What species you use will always be dependent on where you are located... and what your goals are... do you want perennial pasture from your seeding, or annuals... do you want the plants to provide you with N? Do you want to prevent soil erosion? Is this permanent pasture, or rotated farm fields? What crop will follow what you're putting down today? Etc.
Thinking hard on dedicating one 12 acre field to cover crops year round to graze and finish cattle on. I've gotten the fertility up to where it is good enough to try this approach.

No plans of terminating the perennials, but I'm sure some will be shaded out come summer annual time. I'm going to try it full speed.

The ground that's getting oats is the most used portion of the farm. It's a hub or sorts. Gets some rest here and there, but used a lot.

Latest posts