Oats field

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
I wanted to establish an oats field, many of friends have good stands of oats in areas around me. Well I tried last year and drilled 6 acres in oats and 20 in wheat next to it. My wheat came in good considering I haven't got much rain and all the hard freezes we had gotten. my oats didn't come in at all, a few plants here and there but no where near the amount that should have came up. I checked my neighbor down the road and his is small but he has good coverage. I asked him how he did it he said he just thew it out(I guess broadcasted) and it grew. My question is is it better to broadcast oats? And if so why? I hate broadcasting, it seems every time I do I get swarmed by birds. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Oats in my area are always broadcast. sling em out and disk them in. a lot will have them mixed with fertilizer and make one pass when broadcasting.

I have had the same results early one fall I drilled I. Around 10 acres of oats and I got a very poor stand of them. The next year and every time after that I would just broad cast them and then disk them in and get a good stand every time.

About how many pounds per acre do y'all broadcast? And is there any main reason they don't do well drilled?

jrn28":y3swu7va said:
About how many pounds per acre do y'all broadcast? And is there any main reason they don't do well drilled?

Whenever I broadcast anything I try to double the amount because birts may eat seeds rats mice just doesnt germinate whatever the cause and have great results with anything I broadcast.That being said oats 200lbs pr acre. I can't answer your question as to why drilling doesn't do well I am sure someone on here many have the answer.

I drilled mine and they came up well. Birds are what also what I hate about broadcasting. My came up early for some fall grazing but froze back when I needed them most. They are back now and once again doing well.
I could use a suggestion on a type that is more winter hardy.

jrn28":1lhincaq said:
I wanted to establish an oats field, many of friends have good stands of oats in areas around me. Well I tried last year and drilled 6 acres in oats and 20 in wheat next to it. My wheat came in good considering I haven't got much rain and all the hard freezes we had gotten. my oats didn't come in at all, a few plants here and there but no where near the amount that should have came up. I checked my neighbor down the road and his is small but he has good coverage. I asked him how he did it he said he just thew it out(I guess broadcasted) and it grew. My question is is it better to broadcast oats? And if so why? I hate broadcasting, it seems every time I do I get swarmed by birds. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
jrn most folks down this way drill them in. Might check your supplier. I've seen a few discount leftovers from last year to get rid of them. Germ might not be really good on them. Went to Waco yesterday and saw a few field of wheat that looked really good though. Got a bit of rain on it last weekend.

Thanks all for the replies. Texasbred, the possibility that the seed was bad could be, but I really hope not. I bought my sudan seed from the same supplier, I know it's different seed type but still makes me worry.

skyhightree1":31ejypke said:
jrn28":31ejypke said:

Whenever I broadcast anything I try to double the amount because birts may eat seeds rats mice just doesnt germinate whatever the cause and have great results with anything I broadcast.That being said oats 200lbs pr acre. I can't answer your question as to why drilling doesn't do well I am sure someone on here many have the answer.
that's a lot of oats pr acre
they most we go when spreading by plane or buggy is 3 bushels pr acre

I agree but if I don't plant anything broadcasted heavy I end up with fat crows and vermin and spoty areas. Jed told me about aerial broadcast in my corn stalks I may try this year.

I have done both never had a problem drilling unless you get dirty oats like I did last year then the drill hoses clog up and got to stop and clean them out. I prefer drilling to broadcast don't have to use the diesel to cover them up and don't have to worry about burying them to deep. from what you describe sounds like bad oats. when ever you get oats take a hand full of them put on a wet paper towel and see how many sprout will tell you the quality of oats you got and if not many sprout need to find a different dealer.

Wacocowboy I suppose that would work with any seed? If so very logical way of checking seed. I feel dumb for not thinking of it. Thanks for the tip.

I live in Athens, pretty close to you. I drill them unless I need to get it out quick before a rain. It could have been bad seed. It is possible to get them too deep. I try for 1 1/2 inches. We had lots of rain last fall, could it have been a little deep then too packed from rain? I use Heavygrazer variety.

jrn28":3maebcly said:
Wacocowboy I suppose that would work with any seed? If so very logical way of checking seed. I feel dumb for not thinking of it. Thanks for the tip.

It should work with any seed but I have only ever done it with oats you can also buy a lil seed kit at comes with trays and potting soil just push the seeds in the potting soil water and see what comes up

Finally had success with oats! It is actually surpassing my expectations. I drilled both oats and wheat on my place last year, both on the same day and both fertilized the same in similar soil. The oats(Harrison) grows like a weed, the thickness in the tillers and the volume of plant has me exited. I will be letting the cows graze it tomorrow. Here are a few pics of an average oat tiller to my biggest wheat tiller.
Oat on left wheat on right

Oat

Wheat

We drill oats yearly for grain.. But have made baleage out of it, and pastured it at times in the past. But were always nervous of bloat.

Latest posts