O.T. Are people getting stupider?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know weither people are getting more stupid or not but there are some things to consider.Our education system finally got tired of graduating people who could not read nor write so some decided to start having standards. In my state these are called SOLS andwhile a good idea on paper they force teachers to spend the year cramming for the test instead of actually teaching.Kids get pushed earlier to move on to higher math levels and don't have time to learn the basics.They can't figure without a calculator and can't make change without a cash register Some of the blame has to go to parents who don't spend enough time with the childrenteaching them the basic things in life since their too busy looking out for themselves and want someone else to raise the kids.School and electronics can't do that.I was fortunate to have a Mom,Dad and Grandma who taught me things and helped me learn.Itried to do that with my two children and they are better off for it.Their children are still uder a year old but seem to be bright and resourceful because of the time their parents spend with them.

vs_cattle":j2vu1wl0 said:
Im In High School These Are Skill I Know For Now Wait Until After All My School Years Are Done
-Fence Building / Repair
- Welding (Not The Best But Get The Job Done)
- Metal Work (Cutting,Minor Projects)
-Computer Repair
-Operate (Tractors,Quads,Trucks W/Trailers, Cars
-Tech (Cell Phone,Computer, Ipod, Much More
-Investing (CD Accounts, Houses, CATTLE)
-Office Work (MOST OFFICE DUTIES)
-Real Estate (Loan Processor)
-Cattle Ranching (Still Learning)
-Small Engines ( In Time I Learn More About CARS/TRUCKS)
- Website Design
- Marketing (Flyer Creation, Ads, Other Forms)
- Managment (Can Lead People If I Know What Im Doing)
- Learning ( #1 SKILL I HAVE)
- Street Smarts (Wont Get Lost In Cities As Some Might)
- Kid Sitting

Isaac,

I took a look at your website...it is impressive. And, I think what you're learning and have already accomplished is fantastic! I'm especially pleased to see what you've listed as your #1 skill--learning. And I'm tickled to death to see that you consider kid sitting an important skill and accomplishment. Your parents are doing a good job with you...and you are surely making it worthwhile for them. Good on you, guy! :D

Alice

A reason why the young ones are not so bright. When I was senior in high school, 1976, I got away with 2 P.E. classes an recieved a grade for both P.E.'s, my folks flipped. To take 2 P.E.'s they MADE me take tough math, history, english, etc. classes. Kids now don't even have to go to their senior year anymore, one of my sons had enough credits to graduate by the end of his junior year, without doing anything special. another only had to go to 1 class every other day his senior year. And his mom let him, my ex-wife, she didn't care. A lot, not all, teachers, staff, schools, parents, don't care they just want to shuffle the kids through at any cost.

If someone has enough credits to graduate high school by the end of their junior year by the schools standards without doing anything special, there is a big problem. Some of the young ones can't help but be stupid, that's how they where raised. Now they take that work ethic into the job force.... lazy and don't want to work, only need to do 3/4 of the job to get all the reward and blame someone else when they can't hold down a job.

In my case, my son who had enough to graduate as a junior, returned for his senior year, full time and is doing very well in the work force. The one that only had one class every other day, struggled until he figured out that today you just have to put in a little more effort to shine above most your co-workers.

JMO,
Alan

Kids arent givin' a good whoopin' when they need them or as they get old enough, a good rap on the beezer like my Dad gave me. Not once did I not earn what I got, even though it wasnt too often. Also, I believe the virtual non-existance of working marriages now days contributes to the problem too. That is in reference to new marriages of nows time rarely working for more than a couple years. Too many kids now are " child support kids " now, where that monthly check is all they get from their Dads, not tough love and the lessons of hard work and integrity. I am yet to be 30, and I know that my age and younger are the kids in question here. While there are many that have failed, there are just as many who have gone on to make good productive citizens. I see them every day and I like to consider myself one of the sucessful ones. I have integrity and morals, am a loving and providing Father of a wonderful five year old little girl, I am a proud veteran, and I work hard every day and do all that I can to learn all that I can. I will be finishing college just as soon as my reserve obligation is over. I have a successful side business and I plan on establishing another in two years. I grew up in the country and have been a proud owner of cattle since I was twelve. Over the years I have slowly and deliberately built my herd where I now have sixty crossbred cows, and I have a genuine love for everything to do with this lifestyle. Sorry this got to be so long, I just wanted you guys to know a little about this " young guy "

MillIronQH said:
Well this time you really did let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird brain.

Explain in detail exactly how these horses are not stucturally correct.Z

tommy3.JPG

zack19.JPG
[/quote

The first problem as many notice is they are horses, not cattle. #2 swaybacked and sickle hocked.

swaybacked? No, they are not swaybacked. I don't know from sicklehocked, but I have an idea they aren't that, either.

Alice

Recently the company I work for was going to hire 20 Intrusment/Electrical trainee's. This is a great job starts at twenty dollars an hour requires four years to be journeyman with forty hours of college a month, provided by the company. Right at one thousand applied less than two hundred passed the test.
This was a simple reading and math test, another eighty failed the physical test.

This is disturbing in what our education system is turning out.

Campground Cattle":tpxt2zas said:
Recently the company I work for was going to hire 20 Intrusment/Electrical trainee's. This is a great job starts at twenty dollars an hour requires four years to be journeyman with forty hours of college a month, provided by the company. Right at one thousand applied less than two hundred passed the test.
This was a simple reading and math test, another eighty failed the physical test.

Well they have 1/2 the battle won ( getting out of the house)
now they have to study and get there heads out of their butts and apply themselves one postive is that the employer has a large selection of employees to choose from

Campground Cattle":2qfjczwi said:

The problem is the education system credits memorization over problem solving and anything else that takes any thought and makes people think on there feet.

farmerjohn":1at2q9fp said:
seems like the younger generation has no common sense. Questions like" can I feed my yard clippings to cows" to do I need a 5 gallon bucket full for a soil sample".
They are too lazy to read, so they come to a forum wanting an expert answer. AND, they believe everything that they read on the Internet.

In about 20 years when that generation takes over we are going to be in deep sh@%.... :roll:

Well I Guess We Really Know Who Is Getting Stupider People Like This .........

mtncows":33pnu1fb said:
I don't know weither people are getting more stupid or not but there are some things to consider.Our education system finally got tired of graduating people who could not read nor write so some decided to start having standards. In my state these are called SOLS andwhile a good idea on paper they force teachers to spend the year cramming for the test instead of actually teaching.Kids get pushed earlier to move on to higher math levels and don't have time to learn the basics.They can't figure without a calculator and can't make change without a cash register Some of the blame has to go to parents who don't spend enough time with the childrenteaching them the basic things in life since their too busy looking out for themselves and want someone else to raise the kids.School and electronics can't do that.I was fortunate to have a Mom,Dad and Grandma who taught me things and helped me learn.Itried to do that with my two children and they are better off for it.Their children are still uder a year old but seem to be bright and resourceful because of the time their parents spend with them.

We homeschool our children. This is only one of the many reasons. We're responsible for them... and a farm is a great place to get a "common sense" education. I make sure they learn the other stuff, too. Teaching 4 kids, looking after 80 cows, plus other farm/home work make for a busy day. So, sorry if I don't search long enough and ask a few stupid questions :oops: (We're in our 40's, so relatively speaking, I don't know if we qualify for the "younger generation". Guess it all depends on who you're talking to. ;-) ) We want to continue being stewards of these acres I grew up on and pass them on to our kids. But unless you're an only child, I think it gets harder with each generation. Dad still owns the farm except for the 1/5 his brother owns. I have 2 siblings. Unless you've got the $$$ to buy everybody out, it makes it hard to keep things going. We don't live high. Our van is 10 years old and the truck is older than that. You all know that country livin' ain't cheap. Husband left the firm he worked for last fall to work from home so he could have more time for family and farm. Am I complaining? No way! This is a great place to live and raise your children and I wouldn't trade it for anything. We are so blessed to be where we are and I understand why so many people want to try to have this way of life.

You will never regret the time you are investing in your children and the money you didn't make can't be fought over when you are gone from this world.

auctionboy":17juvogt said:
MillIronQH":17juvogt said:
Well this time you really did let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird brain.

Explain in detail exactly how these horses are not stucturally correct.Z

tommy3.JPG

zack19.JPG
[/quote

The first problem as many notice is they are horses, not cattle. #2 swaybacked and sickle hocked.
just like a brood mare should look

I did not read through this whole post but one thing I would like to mention is the gap between generations seems to be getting bigger. Knowledge takes time to acquire. I know you cant just get it from a book. Alot of older people (unless its your grandpa) can seem unapproachable and that they dont have time to mess with our foolish questions (I think that attitude was in the original post). I was not blessed with grandparents that were alive when I was old enough to remember them. My father passed away when I was in high school. I wish I knew the things they knew. I get information when and where I can. This forum has been a heap more helpful than the older farmers I have tried to ask. For those who post on here regularly and answer our "stupid questions" I applaud you.

MikeC":23q7bk3r said:
People are getting "stupider". It's a fact. The less fortunate and less intelligent (to some) are propogating at a higher rate than the others.

The Rockefeller Foundation, and others, came up with a plan to sterilize the "feeble minded" here during the last century. There were many "tubes" tied under the guise of an appendectomy.

Just Google "Eugenics" or read the book, "War Against the Weak" (by Edwin Black).

Look around you. Who are the ones that have the higher numbers of children, in general. Especially in the 3rd world countries.

Don't know how this relates to this forum though.

Am I out of line here? :shock:

WOW - I have actually had that thought before!!! :shock: (not the sterilization part) Its true they are breeding faster. Educated people have fewer babies because they realize what each one costs. The people on welfare get a bigger paycheck each time they pop a kid out. :roll:

Don't get down on all the big families. We have several friends with large families -- 8 or more children of their own and then open their homes to adopt orphaned/abondoned children as well. These are good families trying to raise responsible children. Sure, you can find a bad apple anywhere, but for the most part, these are good kids. No welfare there. The dads work hard for their paychecks.
Two generations ago, wasn't it usually the farmers that had big families? My grandma, who grew up in the house we live in now, was one of 12.

mom to 4":28xjrq43 said:
Don't get down on all the big families. We have several friends with large families -- 8 or more children of their own and then open their homes to adopt orphaned/abondoned children as well. These are good families trying to raise responsible children. Sure, you can find a bad apple anywhere, but for the most part, these are good kids. No welfare there. The dads work hard for their paychecks.
Two generations ago, wasn't it usually the farmers that had big families? My grandma, who grew up in the house we live in now, was one of 12.

Not knocking big families at all. I had 9 in my family. I have 5 kids (not 1 dime in aid thank you very much). Times have changed. You cant stuff 9 kids in the back of a pickup on two wooden bench seats (yes its true) to go to town. The people who are smart enough to know what it takes dont generally have big families these days. There are alot of people out there having babies for the wrong reasons stupidity, laziness, and extra aid to name a few. It sounds like your friends have had kids for the only right reason - love, especially if they are willing to adopt more. God Bless them.

Latest posts