Nutsedge & Cupgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I have some Yellow Nutsedge (also called nutgrass) and Cupgrass (also called Hairy Cupgrass) in my pasture. Niether shows up on any of the nutrient tables I have. Are either or both of these a decent cattle grass? This pasture was wheat till spring and I am converting it to pasture. I am watching to see what comes up naturally. Fescue, Crabgrass, Timothy, Woolly Cupgrass, and this Nutsedge is what I have identified so far as coming up naturally. Got some white clover as well.

Is this Nutsedge or Cupgrass okay or should I be trying to do something to get rid of them as I am developinig this pasture ground? I would like to put some cattle on it in the spring of 2014. So I am taking the next year to get it in the best shape possible. I looked them up and the cupgrass is an annual so if I mow before it comes to a seedhead it will probably disappear anyway. The nutsedge is a perennial though.

If I should get rid of them, any suggestions on how to do that?

Thanks
Ed

not sure of the nutrientive value, but if you find out that you want to control the nutsedge, there are herbicides that target it... "Image" is a brand name sold, you can probably find the generic equal (w/the same act ingred) at a farm supply/wholesale type place.

Thanks Graybeard. Since those links only try to get rid of it I assume it is not something the cattle will eat or at least get nutrient from if they eat it. Those treatments seem like they would be difficult to apply without damaging pasture grasses though. I think I will try keeping it mowed down to not go to seed head and see how prevalent it gets.

Ed

Good life, you can mow the " nut grass" until it is bare dirt and it will come back. Image is the product that works in our area. It has a little value as far as nutrition. It will take a couple of years to get rid of it. If you wanted it all you would have to do is put a couple of tomato plants in your pasture and it would take over.LOL

Goodlife":2nqahztc said:
Thanks Graybeard. Since those links only try to get rid of it I assume it is not something the cattle will eat or at least get nutrient from if they eat it. Those treatments seem like they would be difficult to apply without damaging pasture grasses though. I think I will try keeping it mowed down to not go to seed head and see how prevalent it gets.

Ed
Depends which herbicide you use. You'll need a sprayer if you have a large area of nutgrass--or a large area with nutgrass present among desirable grasses. I didn't look back at those tables, but pretty sure Remedy is among those labeled for nutgrass control. I use Remedy (triclopyr) on my rygrass, bahia, and coastal with no problems. Mixes with water, no residual soil activity, doesn't affect your seedbank, and a minimum period of "no grazing" and a short wait time before slaughter.
I do not have fescue or clover to any extent, so I don't know what Remedy would do to those, tho I would think it would hurt the crap out of clover.

If I had a pasture full of nutgrass, I'd probably up anchor and move. It's an invasive IMO.

Nutsedge is the devils own. Has little nodes or nuts along its root system that allow it to regenerate, and any post emergent that kills the new growth leaves the "nuts". We've had success getting rid of it in smaller areas (less than an acre) by repeatedly, physically pulling, burning and cutting at the soil line. After about three or four immediately repeated sessions the nuts are finally exhausted of energy and it goes away. Mechanically integrated pre-emergents, combined with out competing crops of corn or soybean are said to work, but where forage is existing, or to be planted, I've no idea. Definitely one that'll try your soul. Very persistent and miserable stuff. Be careful if you plow or disc where that stuff already is. Turning the soil will help expose and dry the nuts but any residue that travels with your equipment is gonna infest the next field.

It's actually a sedge and not a true grass and it'll tolerate heavy salt and all sorts of rank conditions, but I've never heard of it having anything to offer in terms of nutritive value. I have heard that hogs will root out the nuts however - for whatever worth that is.

Latest posts