Nutsedge

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
I have a large crop of nutsedge this year. I'm guessing the flooding we had last year spawned it, I don't know. I've been told by the locals nothing can really be done. Neighbor is trying to disk an replant grass. My googling tells about the same other than keeping drained and planting a cover crop to shade it out. Any experience with this?

If it's the Kyllinga variety you have you work cut out. I just had to tolerate it untill the bermuda and bahia squeezed it out......

I never saw it before till a few years ago. Yellow is what invaded me. OTC/non restricted weed killers specifically designed for it are available and I have used with success. The label identifies it as Nutsedge applicable.

Best I can tell I've got the yellow. From what I'm reading my neighbor may be making it worse by discing

rollinhills":oarnj84y said:
I think basagran will take it out. I may not have spelled that right.we have a lot of trouble with it in our area.
You did spell it right and yes it works on nutsedge.

I had bad yellow nutsedge years ago. At the advise of my fertilizer salesman, I left my worst field fallow and disked it every month through the summer. By fall, I had more nutsedge than I started with. Seems the disc cut the plants and nodules into small pieces and it all resprouted. I had a touch of netsedge in my sweet corn a few years ago and I think I used Permit on that.

SteppedInIt":16nk7kk1 said:
Best I can tell I've got the yellow. From what I'm reading my neighbor may be making it worse by discing

Large, multiple seed heads per plant plus rhizomes make it take care of itself. Discing just cuts the rhizomes into smaller pieces, making a plant for each one......yes you are correct on his discing.....liken unto Johnson grass but it's a super perennial and super feed for bovines and such. Nutsedge is useless.

Latest posts