Yellow Nutsedge

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE":r081btn2 said:
Basagran is the only selective herbicide I know of for nutsedge.
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/NewCrop ... illet.html
According to that article the millet was tolerant of 2,4D. The LV6 version has nutgrass listed on the label. I sprayed a hay field last fall with the LV6 and really reduced the amount of nut sedge in it. This year you could really see how bad of a job I did driving while spraying with the pots of nutgrass in the field. Might be worth researching some to see if it is ok on millet.

Outrider is labeled for yellow nutsedge in Bermuda and Bahia. You may have to call the manufacturer to find out if it can be used on millet.

tom4018":u6jyvfy4 said:
BFE":u6jyvfy4 said:
Basagran is the only selective herbicide I know of for nutsedge.
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/NewCrop ... illet.html
According to that article the millet was tolerant of 2,4D. The LV6 version has nutgrass listed on the label. I sprayed a hay field last fall with the LV6 and really reduced the amount of nut sedge in it. This year you could really see how bad of a job I did driving while spraying with the pots of nutgrass in the field. Might be worth researching some to see if it is ok on millet.
I just skimmed the article to make sure Basagran was ok for millet, glad you caught that. 2,4D would be the cheaper of the two, easily.

rollinhills":1fg32lbr said:
So 2-4D will work fairly good on nutsedge??
I used it on some last fall and have less nutsedge this year. It was the LV6 version as the others did not list nut grass.

rollinhills":2gnm0pl3 said:
That's what I have, I think i'm gonna give her a try. I always get the LV6 mainly because 12oz of that is equal to a pint of the 4lb stuff.
I did mine at 1 quart per acre.

This is old but....Gordon has a D herbicide that includes a kicker for Nutsedge. Has a notation on the front of the container. $16 a pint but only 1 oz per gallon required. I just saw it this spring and recently put it out. Will see what happens. Mine's the yellow nut.

I had a lot less of it this spring at first cutting, but it has really come back after cutting. Probably burn the field done and reseed this fall.