Numerous limping cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1hk053zd said:
Boot Jack Bulls":1hk053zd said:
FSSR, do you also have loose salt with EDDI out for them (I assume you do, but thought it worth mentioning)? Also, instead of building bridges, perhaps a load or two of smooth river rock in a specified crossing might be plausible. On another note, anytime I have feet trimmed, it paint pine tar on the coronal band. Obviously, not a good idea on ones with open wounds such as those you posted, but for regular trimmings it is helpful in maintaining good foot health on poor soil/weather.

Yes, they have lose salt.

The problem with putting out rock (or anything) is that the creeks run hard several times a year. We have to replace water gaps at least once a year, so the rock would just wash away. We put in a culvert once, but it washed away the same year. Something more permanent would be needed. I will have to look up the pine tar... where do you get it?

QuickCrete will work if you catch the creek low. Pretty cheap too. As long as the water isn't running you can just pour it in and smooth it out with the back of a rake. When the water gets high again it will just run over the top.

Dogs and Cows":2l0z403p said:
I have a question along these lines...we have had so much rain this fall winter that everything is totally mudded in...it is biblical. I had a cow come up limping...but was sure it was trauma because the bull was breeding her...and she did recover and is not limping now. However, yesterday I go over and check out the girls and I have 2 more limping. All front lets/feet. I don't see any swelling...but am gonna have the wife check with me...she is much better at these things than me. I am hoping it is not hoof rot, but it does seem strange. It is hard for the cattle to move around because of so much mud and muck...very slippery and deep. Wife commented need to move to high ground...problem is with so much precipitation...there is no high ground to get them to...everything is a total muddy mess. Any thoughts? Trauma?

Thanks,

Tim

By supplementing iodine along with spraying.
You can reduce hoof rot by spraying down around feeding areas and their feet. I keep a 25 gallon spray tank on the mule with 10% Clorox solution.

I haven't had a case in years and hoof rot is an issue in this part of the world.

Bright Raven":dv2k9222 said:
Note: It might be hard for some folks to visualize the nature of the topography in the region of your farm. As I described in a previous post, the rocks on the surface at your farm are 100 % fractured chert. It is literally like walking on broken glass. The creek beds consist of a 100 % surface of fractured chert.

I think your foot trimmer is correct. I would fence off your creek beds. You could use poly wire. I know you must cross the creek beds to access pastures but you could fence off the creek in all other areas.

I don't believe it is mineral. I use the exact same mineral regiment that you do. I have ZERO foot issues and our cows are very similar in size and pedigree.
You probably covered this in the posts but you do not have concrete areas where there are rocks tracked onto the concrete? That really is a bad deal. Sorry that you have the issues.

Ebenezer":3obv373b said:
Bright Raven":3obv373b said:
Note: It might be hard for some folks to visualize the nature of the topography in the region of your farm. As I described in a previous post, the rocks on the surface at your farm are 100 % fractured chert. It is literally like walking on broken glass. The creek beds consist of a 100 % surface of fractured chert.

I think your foot trimmer is correct. I would fence off your creek beds. You could use poly wire. I know you must cross the creek beds to access pastures but you could fence off the creek in all other areas.

I don't believe it is mineral. I use the exact same mineral regiment that you do. I have ZERO foot issues and our cows are very similar in size and pedigree.
You probably covered this in the posts but you do not have concrete areas where there are rocks tracked onto the concrete? That really is a bad deal. Sorry that you have the issues.

Ebenezer, Fire Sweep does not have any concrete areas where the cows are pastured or worked, so NO to your question - there are no concrete areas where cows track rocks upon to. Yes, that would be a bad situation.

The parent bedrock there is almost 100 % chert. It fractures and accumulates on the surface. It is like walking on broken glass. I have set some fence post for them. It is heck to dig through.

The comment about supplementing iodine: Is this part of your mineral mix or an addition?? And the 10% Clorox.....how often are you doing this?? Thanks

BlondeD":1b9v5zcl said:
The comment about supplementing iodine: Is this part of your mineral mix or an addition?? And the 10% Clorox.....how often are you doing this?? Thanks

Part of the mineral mix, I also have had it mixed in my range meal at the feed mill.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5
When we are in slop conditions as now.
I spray down the cattle's feet couple times a week and around hay racks.
String out a sack of cubes and spray them down never getting off the mule.

darcelina4":1ekibqj2 said:
Jmj farms - how did those skinny limping cows come out?

I made him an offer. He declined and sold them at the sale barn. Never asked what he got for them but I'm quite sure it wasn't much more than I offered. I'm kinda glad I didn't get them.

Latest posts