Limping Feeder Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
I bought 6 feeder around 650lbs. They were all nice looking calves no issues. Once I brought them home and unloaded them one started limping immediately after coming of the trailer. I am thinking he landed wrong on the cement coming off the trailer. At first he was holding his leg up but after 48 hrs he is putting his weight on it but still limping. I am thinking he sprained it. How long until a sprain is better at what point should I get him to the vet.

I bought 6 feeder around 650lbs. They were all nice looking calves no issues. Once I brought them home and unloaded them one started limping immediately after coming of the trailer. I am thinking he landed wrong on the cement coming off the trailer. At first he was holding his leg up but after 48 hrs he is putting his weight on it but still limping. I am thinking he sprained it. How long until a sprain is better at what point should I get him to the vet.
Shoulder or hip? All depends on how bad it is. Could be a week could be 3 months.
Bannamine transdermal or dexamethasone and time. Probably no need to have the vet out.

I'd get him in a squeeze and check out the foot. If he got a nail or cut or some kind of injury it wouldn't hurt to know now, before it gets to be a problem. Wash it out and if there is something deal with it. If nothing is open and/or bleeding then I'd just wait and see.

Latest posts