worming longhorn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
I bought 3 longhorn cows at the sale last week, I kicked open a cow pie and I can tell they are wormy. I remember reading on here before people saying not to worm longhorns and something like the worst mistake they did with a longhorn was to worm them. anyhow that doesn't make and sense to me and I'm gonna worm them but was curious as to why not???

I'm no expert on longhorns just have had a few. I've wormed the ones we had. I think I've heard some say that they are maybe more parasite resistant than some other breeds are. I've also seen some websites of longhorn breeders faqs that recommend giving them the same vaccinations etc as any other cattle.

I mean I just saw those 1/2 inch long little worms wiggling around and they are pretty poor too. I may be way off base with looking for worms in the manure im no expert on that

I was thinking about that last night lol you could be right. I thought I looked at very fresh ones right out of the cow but yea that would make perfect sense haha

any animal that is in stressed or poor condition may be susceptable to parasites. best practice would be having a lab look at a few samples, but as you are in a wet, warm climate/time of year, a broad spectrum worm treatment would probably be a good idea.

longhorns/corrientes tend to be hardier than pampered breeds but that doesn't mean they can't get sick at all.

We wormed the ones we had, and never had any problems with them after. I'm not sure why anyone would say something like that.

Longhorns, Corriente, Brahmas, Chianina.... all insect, parasite and disease resistant, but doesn't mean they can't get them. And it certainly doesn't hurt to treat or vaccinate them. These 4 are also heat tolerant, but doesn't mean they don't get hot. And all of them except Brahmas are cold tolerant, too, buy doesn't mean they don't get cold.

I mean I just saw those 1/2 inch long little worms wiggling around and they are pretty poor too. I may be way off base with looking for worms in the manure im no expert on that
One of the reasons you worm is to keep the rest of your animals safe and healthy. A cow full of parasites introduced into a healthy herd can be a problem.

Get a fecal sample, take it to someone that knows what they testing for, and if it's full of parasites worm anything that's been exposed.

Longhorns, Corriente, Brahmas, Chianina.... all insect, parasite and disease resistant, but doesn't mean they can't get them. And it certainly doesn't hurt to treat or vaccinate them. These 4 are also heat tolerant, but doesn't mean they don't get hot. And all of them except Brahmas are cold tolerant, too, buy doesn't mean they don't get cold.
these are the first ones i have owned, very different for sure

these are the first ones i have owned, very different for sure
Pure longhorns, those bred for the classic 8 foot horn spread, etc., are harder to work in traditional chutes and head gates, than Corriente, Brahman and Chiania. I always work them horseback...head and heel them. Using pour on wormer, you won't necessarily need a head gate anyway, just get them in an alley, if you don't have the capability of using horses.

We started out out with crappy grass so we bought those oversized goats called longhorn. I bought in to the story of never worming and in 15 years still don't. Never had health issues and still have 3 in their late teens breeding. We cross with chars and worm all of those. Naturally as our grass has improved we have bred the longhorn out.

Latest posts