number of small square bales? semi truck

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
How many small square bales can fit on a semi truck trailer? We have been getting good rain here in Arkansas. As a result, a friend and I plan to sell some excess hay. We need to know how many bales we can get on a truck using ten bale grapples so we can estimate shipping costs. We can hand stack as needed to get the most bales on.

kb5iod":399bry3v said:
How many small square bales can fit on a semi truck trailer? We have been getting good rain here in Arkansas. As a result, a friend and I plan to sell some excess hay. We need to know how many bales we can get on a truck using ten bale grapples so we can estimate shipping costs. We can hand stack as needed to get the most bales on.
If you get the biggest trailer you can.......like 52' you can get 700 or so on it. :shock:

I don't know the exact number, but the last semi we loaded out took somewhere between 6 and 700 small squares.

msscamp":3gq7wrxb said:
I don't know the exact number, but the last semi we loaded out took somewhere between 6 and 700 small squares.

msscamp,

Did you load that with a ten-bale grapple? I know you have mentioned using them in the past. Also, do you remember any specifics about the trailer such as length, drop deck or not? We have loaded a few big trailers before but never tried to get the maximum on as they were short hauls. I'm thinking we can only go about 5 layers high with them turned up on edge and still stay under the height restrictions.

Just asked my dad, he said that on a 53'x102" trailer you can fit about six hundred bales with the average 14x18x40 bale.

kb5iod":1hzlirq0 said:
msscamp":1hzlirq0 said:

msscamp,

Did you load that with a ten-bale grapple?

Yes.

I know you have mentioned using them in the past. Also, do you remember any specifics about the trailer such as length, drop deck or not? We have loaded a few big trailers before but never tried to get the maximum on as they were short hauls. I'm thinking we can only go about 5 layers high with them turned up on edge and still stay under the height restrictions.

It was not a drop deck, but I don't know what the length of the trailer was. How common are the built in 'ratchets' (for lack of a better word) for strapping down a load on semi trailers? This trailer had them, if that helps at all. I'm almost certain they were stacked 6 high - because I counted the layers out of curiosity(first semi loaded with small bales, and it was a pretty awesome sight) - but a lot of things have taken place since then, and I don't remember for sure. Sorry.

Almost everything around here is loaded in squeeze blocks. A truck pulling a set of 32 foot trailers hauls 8 blocks. The blocks are 7 layers high. The layers are stacked differently to bind them together. If I remember correctly there is 73 or 74 bales in each block.

Latest posts