Nuflor or Baytril?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Which do you prefer for treating pneumonia? How much does your vet charge you for a bottle of it?

My first choice is Baytril, second choice is Nuflor.

Baytril's $87/100mL, Nuflor about $50/100mL from my vet.

Nuflor did the trick for me.. I usually do two shots of nuflor, and follow up with a basic antibiotic. That means.. 3 days (2 nuflor, 1 with other antibiotic)

Our experience has been Baytril does a much better job of knocking out pneumonia and other respiratory problems - we use the single treatment dosage, and rarely have to retreat. The biggest drawback to Baytril is that, if you opt for the single treatment dosage, you can't treat them again for 60 days per the label. A 150 mg bottle is right around $80. It's been so long since we used Nuflor, I don't know what the going price is for it.

My vet sold them to me for $10 bucks a shot.. but that was for a 250lb calf..

Thanks everyone. I decided to get Baytril. I like the idea of only giving 1 shot and being done with it.

I called one vet and he charges $109/100ml. for Baytril.:shock: Our vet charges $75/100ml. I went ahead and got the 250ml. bottle and it was $159.

Gate Opener":21nb9vk1 said:
Thanks everyone. I decided to get Baytril. I like the idea of only giving 1 shot and being done with it.

I called one vet and he charges $109/100ml. for Baytril.:shock: Our vet charges $75/100ml. I went ahead and got the 250ml. bottle and it was $159.

You wont be sorry. Seen it work miracles when Nuflor would not.

I haven't used baytril before but have used nuflor for respiratory problems. Works great and you can give it in a one dose shot at 6cc/100 lbs. per the label.

The few times we've had respritory problems we've used Nuflor. Last year as an experiment we used Draxxin, waste of money. Had a lungy sounding problem in November and being too lazy to go get the Nuflor and having Excenel on hand I gave a shot of it at the highest dose. It's supposed to be good for 4-5 days. Took care of the problem so another shot wasn;t needed. This was in a a mature (old) cow so her system may have been better able to defeat the problem with just a little help rather then a calf that needs all the help they can get.

dun

Wow, and Draxxin is the really expensive stuff. Glad I didn't buy any.

I have so much to learn.

Gate Opener":5hlwx5eh said:
Wow, and Draxxin is the really expensive stuff. Glad I didn't buy any.

I have so much to learn.

As with any antibiotic, Draxxin may be some great stuff for somethings. It wasn;t for what we tried to treat with it. But possiblly nothing would have been the right thing. A month later, all of a sudden when the weather cooled off the problem went away. I sometimes wonder if the antibiotic of choice isn;t a lot like a bass fishermans lure choice. It's what you have confidence in.

No matter what lure I use for bass fishing I find every stump or limb in the lake. Wonder what that means? No just kidding I understand what you are saying, good point. You have to have faith.

Went with Nuflor, and it works well with the half-dozen snotty nosed steers had to keep separate. Treated them with Micotil, no results, went with Nuflor, and now they're as healthy and clear as anything.

Used baytril before, it works, but I think dad hasn't used it b/c it's too darn expensive, compared to Nuflor.

I agree.. Nuflor isnt nearly as expensive... and is designed specifically for pneumonia, or respiratory problems.

Limomike":lnqr3euk said:
I agree.. Nuflor isnt nearly as expensive... and is designed specifically for pneumonia, or respiratory problems.
It is made for Respiratory infections, but sometimes it wont touch some of the resistant stuff out there.

I've used both. Both can work very well. I use more bayrtil than anything else. One thing that can help the results is not waiting too long. We've all been guilty of this(including myself). When you start see that calf having a snoty nose...deep cough...not running up to the bunk....treat him!. You'll have much better results than waiting until his head is always hanging low and you can basicly walk up to him in a yard of cattle :x . Been there done that..ahhh!!! :(

I've been doing something the last few year's with some success. When I get a load of feeder cattle in... on Day 5 I'll put CTC in the feed. I'll do that for three days and then take them off. Shipping fever seem's to hit around day 4 or five. You want them all to be eating good before you put the CTC in the feed. Unless the calf is chronic before you got him....you'll have good luck with this option.

I was employed at the feedlot that in conjunction with ag. canada and a feedlot health company did the initial drug trials for nuflor and baytril back in 1996 to get these drugs registered for use in canada on cattle. There was no significant difference in effecacy that we found when the data was compiled. Both work well for FIP treatment and recovery rates were similar. So from someone who used alot of these antibiotics in the trial there wasn't much of a difference. But it was a while ago and i can't remember the amount of active ingredients per ml/cc of volume. So i don't know if the concentration is different in the commercially avalible antibiotic. So be sure of cost per treatment and check withdrawl time to see whick one will work best for you. Best of luck

regenwether":29h2k552 said:
I've been doing something the last few year's with some success. When I get a load of feeder cattle in... on Day 5 I'll put CTC in the feed. I'll do that for three days and then take them off. Shipping fever seem's to hit around day 4 or five. You want them all to be eating good before you put the CTC in the feed. Unless the calf is chronic before you got him....you'll have good luck with this option.

What is CTC?

Chlortetracycline
I suppose in the not cattle world it could be Crazy Tom Cat

dun

Latest posts