Now this is a tiny calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a calf was like that, but he did it for 4 months...and we have to set up a trap pen for him, using his mother as a bait and hauled him straight to the sale barn. He was born in the bush.

The same mother calved twice in the bushes after that calf, but this time both calves are docile and tame as lamb.

Our little one hides out still, but she is easy to find since we MIG and do not have brush to hide in (a few trees for shade, but nothing that they can really get away from). When we move them to a new section, I have troubles finding her because the grass is tall and she knows not to move when I am near.
The calf ended up getting pneumonia last week; I heard her dam bawling loudly and pacing an area, so I went out to investigate. Her udder was full, and she was standing over the calf bawling loudly. I was able to just pick the calf up, and we just put her in the back seat of my (new) pickup and took her to the vet. She temped 103.4, and audible breathing. Our vet said her her left lobe was full, and her right was pretty rattly. He kept her for the day, gave her electrolytes, banamine and Draxxin. I picked her up at the end of the day, and she was feisty and ready for her dam! It took two people holding her down on the ride home (again, in the back seat... with blankets wrapped around her). When we got home, she ran right to her dam and started sucking.... that was a good sight! She is doing much better now.

Latest posts