November 22

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
It just dawned on me that this is the 44th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. Does everyone who's old enough remember where you were when you got the news?

I was in the third grade and our teacher told us and then sent us home. I was too young to understand the significance of it, but when I got home and my Mom was crying, I knew it was something pretty bad.

Was in the 8th grade, Nuns took everyone to church ( Catholic School ) and told us to start praying, I saw Kennedy the day before in San Antonio, Texas. Something I have never forgot.

I was in 7th grade...study hall, I think. The principal came over the intercom and told us, then turned the radio onto the intercom. We all sat there absolutely stunned.

Mother picked me up after school...something that she wasn't able to do that often, and most times when she did, she was late. She was late that day, also. I remember jumping in the car and asking her if she'd heard the news about JFk? She just nodded her head yes...and said, "It's a horrible thing that's happened." Then she got really, really quite...and I didn't say anything else...

Alice

2nd grade. Some kids went home, bus kids stayed and they brought in a tv and we watched the news til our bus came. I saw Walter Cronkite cry. We were all scared. :cry2: :cry:

I was in my English Class, equiverlant to you 3rd grade, we were told the News over the tannoy by our Head Master and those who had parents at home were allowed to go home, I remember it was a sad day, the next day we stayed home from schoo,l and there was a minutes silence at noon for respect for the family. Sad Day. I remember on the News it seemed to be World wide the shock of it. Great Man.

I was 4 or 5 years old. I don't remember President Kennedy but I do remember the funeral on TV. I wanted to watch cartoons but the funeral was on all 3 channels that we were able to pickup with the old antenna.

Nowland Farms":3h9ipx6c said:
I was 4 or 5 years old. I don't remember President Kennedy but I do remember the funeral on TV. I wanted to watch cartoons but the funeral was on all 3 channels that we were able to pickup with the old antenna.

Ditto. ;-)

I was in the 4th grade. Teacher got called to the Principal's office for something and then came back to the room. A couple of minutes after she got back the Principal gave us the news over the loud speaker.

On a side note. For years and years I heard about the Texas School Book Depository and the window on the 3rd (?) floor and how it was such a difficult shot and all of that. Finally got down there on vacation one year and visited the spot. I was amazed at just how CLOSE the street looked from that window. I was also surprised at how small the "Grassy Knoll" was.

I was walking back to the old high school from the little store/deli across the street from the school- during noon hour when a bunch of girls came up to us screaming "Kennedy's been shot" ...I thought they were nuts, until I got into the school and all the school was abuzz--spent the afternoon of classes listening to the happenings on the radio-or watching a couple TV's they had set up in the library and study hall....

Calman":16k0jknh said:
I was in FT.Benning Ga. My unit got put on full alert.

Cal
Calman, I also was at Fort Benning,Ga. 39th. Transportation Batallion, Fort Benning,Ga. Small world.We also went on full alert. Nov. 22,1963 Kerley

:( I had just turned 6 years old and was sitting on the floor
in front of the black and white tv watching it with my mom.
She was in disbelief and very upset. :(

kerley":2m01wbsd said:
Calman":2m01wbsd said:
I was in FT.Benning Ga. My unit got put on full alert.

Cal
Calman, I also was at Fort Benning,Ga. 39th. Transportation Batallion, Fort Benning,Ga. Small world.We also went on full alert. Nov. 22,1963 Kerley

My unit went there TDY for some refresher course in Ranger training. Mater of fact I was probably half way between the plane and the ground when it happend.
Right you are a small world.

Cal

Remember it like it was yesterday. Was 14 years old and going back to our school from a field trip,someone on the bus heard the sad news on his am transistor radio. We were all in shock.I remenber being very scared about Russia and the US and nuclear war and what would happen.

I'd almost forgot about the part about everyone being worried that this was done by the Russians- and that they might attack us....At that time we still had an AFB with a fighter squadron and a B-52 Squadron--and all the Base kids went to High School in town with us....That afternoon the sky was full of planes going every direction-and all the base kids were worried sick about their parents- wondering if they were in a B-52 on their way to bomb Russia.... When the Base kids went home on the bus- the schools bus's which normally delivered kids all over base weren't allowed on....The kids were dropped off at the main gate- and then had to board Air Force bus's which delivered them around the base.....

Calman":2a1j06zp said:
And in 20 or 30 yrs from now our kid's will remember what they were doing on 9/11.

Cal

I think everyone will remember where they were when that happened. We were in Europe and I just wanted to get back home.

JFK was before my time but I do remember being in elementary school and the teacher came in and told us President Regan was shot, we got to watch the coverage on TV.

Makes you think though what things would be like if he had a chance to implement all his programs and ideals;his brother also for that matter.
Maybe 911 would never have happened.I guess you can't look back.

Calman":28xkdti6 said:
And in 20 or 30 yrs from now our kid's will remember what they were doing on 9/11.

Cal
was in 4th grade headed to art class. teacher had it on tv. i understood what happened, but didnt understand the significance of it.

JFK is about 29 years before my time.

I was six weeks old or thereabouts. My dad was in Lousiana on a bull buying trip.

Latest posts