November 8-9th 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

A new bull may break down a few fences but it is most likely that those fences needed to be rebuilt. But a sneaky old cow of questionable breeding that is known to have stole grain and attack those around her isn't going to help the long tern viability of the ranch.

bball":3jotvgxb said:
hurleyjd":3jotvgxb said:
We will have to get use to either saying King Donald 1 or Madam President. Do not like either one but the powers to be has bestowed one of them on us and we will have to survive.

Cmon hurley....make it about cattle. :wave:
Okay okay how about bull of the woods and Elsie.

Seems the commercial cow believes that every cow in the pasture, no matter of quality or production, should be of equal value.

Help me out, how does that work. The only way I see it is the high producing cow must pay for the non producing cow.

Apparently though I'm wrong. As long as all cattle love each other, And say nice words instead of truthful words.everything will be fine.

callmefence":1fo7wors said:
Apparently though I'm wrong. As long as all cattle love each other, And say nice words instead of truthful words.everything will be fine.

It would fine. Life would be good. But that is not happens. Love is hard, way harder than the ones touting it understund, because it's not free. It's sacrificial. If they loved others, they wouldn't be wanting to live off of their production. That isn't love, that is selfishness.

One hogs the trough while the others starve, which isn't love. If we go to just measuring the herd and not the individual , production falls and the overall standard of husbandry falls. Instead of all doing their best and minding their own business, they start looking around to see everyone isn't working as hard, so they start slacking as well. Next thing you know, you have a bunch that aren't rebreeding or their bringing in underweight calves, but still wanting to have at the free choice alfalfa, but the farm can only afford 3 yr old moldy grass now.

It's because cattle are lazy and always will be. They want a system that they think they can be lazy and get all they want. Doesn't work and it isn't love. Call it what it is, lazy.

A productive old cow that shares her excess milk with the underpriviledged calf whose dam died during delivery, or by lightning strike, or by old age should receive a reward for her hard work. A little grain for her trouble to make the farm profitable.

M-5":98g3ene9 said:
I think I the herd will benefit more from a pb bull than a commercial cow that you really don't know what she's made of.

I don't think black herfords count as pb.

I'll reserve final judgement when I see what he throws.

greybeard":5tlf4ybs said:
M-5":5tlf4ybs said:
I was talking about the CHAR BULL From what I see his offspring is better than he is.
Nice phenotype for sure on the females.

The male offspring are quite an improvement on the sire as well. Though, I'm unsure of his imported pasture mate...

greybeard":36rpp6rd said:
callmefence":36rpp6rd said:
There's a old cow lots are considering.
Idk. You gotta watch her all the time. Can't turn your back on her. And has Horrible hips and udder.
Someone else here said she had a "dried up cooter" too. (I sure don't want to get close enough to verify that--like ya said, ya can't turn your back on an old cow like that)

I heard she was a nasty high headed thing that is impossible to catch. Just when you think you have her caught; poof! she slips right away. Slick as snot.

The hair gets me. I think show ring when I see hair like that. He's the best genetics I have access to at this point but he won't do well on my fescue.

cow pollinater":39nm1y9k said:
The hair gets me. I think show ring when I see hair like that. He's the best genetics I have access to at this point but he won't do well on my fescue.

I think he'd be a fun one to fit! No cooler necessary on that shag. That old cow, though, I think would be to slick hided and probably kick your face in just to prove she can get away with it!

Boot Jack Bulls":l1k31zly said:
cow pollinater":l1k31zly said:

I think he'd be a fun one to fit! No cooler necessary on that shag. That old cow, though, I think would be to slick hided and probably kick your face in just to prove she can get away with it!
I wouldn't even try. Ship that high headed old bytch. The only calf she's ever had is most likely from the neighbors bull.

cow pollinater":2pnxi5ua said:
Boot Jack Bulls":2pnxi5ua said:
cow pollinater":2pnxi5ua said:

I wouldn't even try. Ship that high headed old bytch. The only calf she's ever had is most likely from the neighbors bull.
Wonder if it would qualify CAB???

They say she slipped a few calves when they shipped her south. When we shipped her back north to slaughter some dam peta rescue people saved her.

Boot Jack Bulls":jrkyl8s3 said:
greybeard":jrkyl8s3 said:
M-5":jrkyl8s3 said:
I was talking about the CHAR BULL From what I see his offspring is better than he is.
Nice phenotype for sure on the females.

The male offspring are quite an improvement on the sire as well. Though, I'm unsure of his imported pasture mate...

All I know, is I wouldn't trust the milk epd's from the current import.

The old cow might not show much ear but look at the herd she runs with. That bull has to be an F1 to have a set of ears like that. That sucker jumps from DC to Hawaii at the first sign of trouble. You know she's gonna be flighty to hang out with that set.

Latest posts